PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, please! Thinking of cutting back...

OR Cowgirl
January 1st, 2011, 03:20 AM
And I'm wondering what length you all have found to be most versatile. My ends are quite fairytaled thanks to a major stress related shed that I had about 4 years ago.

So... 2 week rule has been invoked! Help me decide how far to cut!

Mariah

KittyLost
January 1st, 2011, 04:05 AM
BSL and Waist are quite versatile and still considered long however looking at your album that may be a bit drastic for you!

How about trimming back 2-3inches and seeing how it feels. If you like it you can cut another 2-3inches, if not there isn't too much length lost and it's just your ends which have been fairytalying anyway which if you're not liking then it gets rid of them. Cutting back slowly can help you decide what length you like best and find versatile.

naturegirl321
January 1st, 2011, 04:52 AM
Whenever I used to tell my mom that I wanted a haircut, she would cut an inch at a time. So on Sunday, I got an inch cut and would have to wait until the following Sunday to get another inch cut.

Loreley
January 1st, 2011, 08:41 AM
I'd cut a few inches, 4-5" maybe, and see how it looks and feels. After that, if you think you want it even shorter, you can cut more.

bondgirl
January 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
I can't see the pictures yet but I like naturegirl321's idea.

JuneBride
January 1st, 2011, 08:48 AM
I vote for waist!

Madora
January 1st, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'd cut back about 5 inches. Still plenty of hair to play around with for updos. You can always grow it out..or cut it shorter if you want!

lapushka
January 1st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Do it gradually if you decide to cut. Try classic length for a while, then go to WL if it's not short enough for you. That way you can gradually find out what updos were okay with what length, sometimes you forget that. I'd not drastically cut to BSL to then find out your favorite updo is no longer possible.

Cowgirl16
January 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM
It appears from your pictures that you've had long hair for awile; you could cut to waist and see how you like it. From there you can grow longer or opt for shorter still; I think it would give you a chance to see what "shorter" hair would be like but still have length for updo's.:drama:

LaurelSpring
January 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM
I agree with the others on doing it gradually. Perhaps TB would be good or if you want more I think the Aug 2005 picture looks nice also.

patienceneeded
January 1st, 2011, 09:34 AM
I agree with some of the previous posts that waist would be nice, however, I would take it up a few inches at a time. Take off 3-4" and wait a week, see how you like it. After a week (or 2) take off another 3-4." You can always cut off more, but if you cut to much and don't like it, you're stuck living with it.

Fairlight63
January 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
I second the idea to cut it back an inch at a time until you feel that it is the right length for you instead of cutting it back 4-5 in. at one time. Then it is not a drastic cut all at once.

T.L.T.
January 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
I can't see the pictures yet either, but I'd say cut a couple inches at a time until you're happy with the length/hemline.

jaine
January 1st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Cutting back gradually sounds like a good option if you think you might want to have the same length again without waiting too long for it. I personally like to go a new length suddenly when I'm going from long to short ... to me it feels like a metaphorical fresh start, and kind of emotionally liberating. (I'm in growout mode now of course after one of those "fresh starts" about a year ago.) :) I think both of them are good options depending on what you want. Any length would be beautiful with your hair ... love the waves & curls btw!

spidermom
January 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I looked at your pictures. If it were me, I'd cut back to tailbone.

Alvrodul
January 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM
I agree with those previous posters who suggest that you don't take one big chop, but instead do several smaller ones. You do have such a great length on your hair!! :crush:
Now, personally I am not very fond of fairytale ends, so I would suggest a first "target length" of Classic, cutting off in two or three stages with a couple of weeks between each while you see what your hair is like after each cut.
If you are still unhappy at Classic, I suggest you go on cutting a bit at a time, with a couple of weeks between the appointments with the scissors.
I am currently at hip, and am in the process of growing out of a couple of my "old standby" updos - but at the same time my hair has recently became long enough that I can start using others!

triumphator!
January 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
I looked through your pictures and was really captivated by this picture of your hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=121&pictureid=785

I know that would be a drastic cut, but it looks so good on you! After cutting a few inches at a time to see how you feel, I would consider cutting it back to there. It just looks. so. good!

Irishred
January 1st, 2011, 11:01 AM
And I'm wondering what length you all have found to be most versatile. My ends are quite fairytaled thanks to a major stress related shed that I had about 4 years ago.

Mariah

Well, the last picture I can see in your album is from a year ago :( I'd love to see an update to know what you are seeing/feeling now.

I agree with the few inches at a time. Much less drastic (believe me I have done the drastic thing and it is fun to start then you realize what you have done...) I would wait at least a week but even better a month in between trimming.

As far as what length is most versatile... I would probably say around waist. That length is short enough to wear down more often yet long enough for lots of updo variations (looking at your thickness of ii). Classic is great but definitely a more up length.

My :twocents:

OR Cowgirl
January 1st, 2011, 11:20 AM
Wow!! Thanks for all the replies!:D Sorry there aren't any newer pictures. I'm just past knee now but, like I said, very fairytale. I know you all are right about cutting it a few inches at a time. Especially since it's such a no-man's land from Classic to knee!

naturegirl321, I LOVE your mom's one inch a week idea! That might be exactly what I end up doing. Maybe trim 2 or 3 inches to start and then an inch a week until I'm satisfied. The new growth is BSL, I think, maybe almost waist. Wish it would catch the heck up!!

I really appreciate all the nice comments on my hair! I do love it and am so grateful that I found these boards so many years ago! Who knew that long hair could be so easy and inexpensive (except for the TOYS!!)? Maybe I need to learn some new updos, I was watching some of Torrinpaige's on youtube last night. Re-watching really! And CinnamonCurls Vortex Bun, I had never seen that one! Gorgeous!

Thank you all!

Mariah

Capybara
January 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm going to be a bit of the devil's advocate here, although you don't have to listen to what I have to say if you don't like it :)

I think your hair is beautiful as is, but if you're not happy with it I'd cut. (after the two weeks, of course.)

I recently cut from almost classic length to bsl, and I couldn't be happier with my length. However, a drastic cut isn't for everyone. I haven't missed my hair yet, but if you think you would miss yours, I would do the gradual trims.

Good luck with your decision!

Tabitha
January 1st, 2011, 11:42 AM
I'm loving mid-back. I grew my hair to just past waist but found washing and drying became a pain, tangles were getting bothersome and aesthetically, all that hair was overwhelming my small features and short frame.

Mid back gives me hair that I can wear down comfortably, which still looks long to most of the world. I can still use most of the considerable wardrobe of hair accessories which I've built up during my time at LHC (and sold those which were too long, to invest in others).

It was almost 2 years ago that I cut and I haven't regretted it for more than a microsecond (there are moments when I've been browsing too long on LHC and I think I'd have at least 10 more inches of hair if I'd have carried on growing, but if it was impractical and unflattering FOR ME, what on earth would be the point of that?).

Deborah
January 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Your hair looks WAY thicker and healthier at about tailbone. I'd cut to there if it were me. (I have done drastic cuts numerous times, but I must admit that my hair grows extremely fast, so I don't risk much. If your hair grows an average or slow amount, you might feel more comfortable cutting just a couple inches at a time.)

mrs_b
January 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Wow!! Thanks for all the replies!:D Sorry there aren't any newer pictures. I'm just past knee now but, like I said, very fairytale. I know you all are right about cutting it a few inches at a time. Especially since it's such a no-man's land from Classic to knee!

Mariah

wow! knee length - this is something!
I like the idea of cutting few inches every week.

mrs_b
January 1st, 2011, 05:47 PM
(there are moments when I've been browsing too long on LHC and I think I'd have at least 10 more inches of hair if I'd have carried on growing, but if it was impractical and unflattering FOR ME, what on earth would be the point of that?).

I concur :bowtome:

Delila
January 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM
I think the slow and deliberate route is likely best.

All I know from my own experience is that I had a much easier time with my hair once it got beyond some magical point beyond waist length.

I'd say that you should definitely not go any shorter than classic at first, just to make sure you're happy with the change. The distance between tailbone and classic may not seem like much, but it may well be the difference between happiness and annoyance for you.

UltraBella
January 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
For me, midway between BLS and waist was the most versatile. I have been considering cutting back to that length for some time now. I could do more with my hair and I could have more layers, which I LOVE. Hmmmm......... Now I want to cut it with you !!!!

rosek
January 1st, 2011, 09:34 PM
If the only reason you are cutting is because you don't like how thin it is, you should look at Emichee's album. She did micrtrims for six months, rather than cutting from classic to waist after she had shedding due to illness. Her hair improved so much, its unbelievable. You should check out her blog/albums :)

SheaLynne
January 1st, 2011, 09:45 PM
I agree that microtrims regularly for a while might be enough to make you happier with your ends. I have been doing 1/4-inch trims each month for a year now (so about 3 inches off over the year, but still gaining length), and I love to see the difference I can see in that year. I'm still not happy with my ends and the bottom portion of my hair, but I knew going into the trimming that I needed to get rid of a total of 6 inches of heat-damaged ends, so I'm trying to keep myself committed to another year of the monthly trims.

Feel free to see my progress in my albums.

And congrats on knee-length hair...not many can say they've ever had that! I'm sure it is much more lovely than it feels to you when you are unhappy with the ends. :)