PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those who have grown out highlights

BrightEyes
December 31st, 2010, 04:02 PM
I have an appointment with my stylist next Saturday for a trim as well as a highlight retouch. But I'm torn as to whether or not I want to keep highlighting my hair. I know it's damaging and drying. My hair does feel a little on the dry side, and I've been noticing more breakage over the past few months. I've also began to wonder if I really will be able to reach my goal (healthy BSL, although I'm thinking more like MBL:D) if I continue highlighting. But the problem is, I really like the lightness as well as the variety in color. I'm kind of worried that if I do take the long route of growing out my highlights, I will eventually miss them and get them again. So I'm just not sure what to do.

Here are my questions:
Those of you who have highlighted in the past and then later decided to stop, what changes have you noticed?

Has your hair improved enough that it was worth the grow out process?

How did you get through the grow out process?

Do you ever regret it? Do you think you'll ever go back to highlighting?

Thanks in advance!!

monsterna
December 31st, 2010, 04:39 PM
Well, I had highlights last December when my hair was really short. You can see a pic in my album. But the longest hair was probably about 5 inches maybe. I've not had a trim since then except my bands (and I can't even notice the highlights now), but I've notices that my ends are a bit dry pretty often, so I have to moisturize lots. Also I have more breakage and splits. I will gradually trim off the rest of the damage, but I would say that if you want healthy longer hair, you'll need to baby your hair a lot more if you keep getting highlights. regular trims as well to get end damage off.

I don't plan on trimming anytime too soon unless I find the damage is really bad. I S&D regularly to help.

I can't see me ever going back to highlighting. I regret doing it only because now I've developed better haircare habits and I'm trying to get to waist length. Growing it out has actually not been bad or anything I've even thought about until now!

Good luck!

Bonkers57
December 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Here are my questions:

Those of you who have highlighted in the past and then later decided to stop, what changes have you noticed?

My hair definitely got softer, shinier ... and darker! ;)

Mine's still pretty short (not even touching my shoulders yet), so it will definitely be worth it once I've reached my goal.

Small trims until it all got long enough I could cut an ear-length bob.

I don't regret ever having them, and will probably highlight again once I've reached my goal, but with a lighter hand!

Thanks in advance!!

Any time...

FullMoonTrim
December 31st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Here are my questions:

*Yes, my hair has improved since I stopped highlighting. It's way less dry. It's not as tangly. It doesn't split and break as often. It looks more natural.*

*I recently did honey a few times to lighten the top part a bit. I added blond (very light) to the hairs right in the front that frame my face.*

*Sure! I'll maybe add a few highlights around my face. But I'll try not to do too many. It is so damaging to my fine hair! My natural hair is much healthier looking. IF I want that blondish look I will do more honey, add a touch of 10n in the very front of my hair. Your hair looks really pretty. I can't tell if you naturally have any grey, do you? I think grey can look very pretty with light highlights.. I'm going through a phase (thanks to LHC) that I really don't want to see that "foiled" look on people-or myself. I spent most of my life trying to keep it up and I'm starting to see that my natural just looks better. I'm still trying to figure out how much blond I might need to bring back to keep the look pretty. *

PrincessTieflin
December 31st, 2010, 05:01 PM
I noticed a huge change in my hair once I quit with the highlights and bleach. I colored it as close to my natural as I could and decided I wanted more red so I hennaed to keep the color from fading :)

ETA: No I dont think i will ever highlight again to much upkeep for me. as well as alot of damge IMO

jaine
December 31st, 2010, 05:38 PM
I covered up my highlights with henna and indigo - luckily my natural color is almost black so there was little or no danger of getting it too dark. My coverup job was actually black for a few weeks but faded to a dark brown that was very close to my natural color. Then I just left it alone for a year. The last of the highlighted hair was cut off a few days ago, so my hair is 100% virgin now! :D
My virgin hair is much softer and shinier than the highlighted hair was but I was having the highlights totally redone every few months and some of them were much lighter than my own hair. If you stay very close to your natural color and only do root touch-ups you would have a lot less damage. I suppose the highlights would need to be chunky sections instead of thin strips so you can find the edges more easily when it's time for touchups.

Mamakash
December 31st, 2010, 06:07 PM
I've only had highlights twice but was shocked by the condition my hair was left it. This was before co washing and joining the LHC and I'm sure my highlights would have been a positive experience had I been kinder to my hair! I used to dislike medium brown hair and wanted my blond-y highlights to dominate. When they did, I didn't like them as much as i thought I would. Didn't care for the way highlighting looked as it grew out. I'm convinced highlights work better for people with short hair and those who cut frequently. I can't wait to cut the last few yellow inches off.

BrightEyes
December 31st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Thank you for all of your replies.:)

It's really encouraging how you have all said that your hair is softer and shinier after you quit highlighting. I have only about 1 1/2 inches of virgin regrowth and next to the highlighted hair my virgin hair looks kind of dull and blah right now. But I'm sure it's because I am comparing the two right next to eachother.

I'm thinking of the possiblity of asking my stylist to give me low lights to help blend my virgin regrowth with the rest. But I also know that color on bleach can fade. Mmmm......decisions, decisions.:rolleyes:

BrightEyes
December 31st, 2010, 06:28 PM
but I was having the highlights totally redone every few months and some of them were much lighter than my own hair. If you stay very close to your natural color and only do root touch-ups you would have a lot less damage. I suppose the highlights would need to be chunky sections instead of thin strips so you can find the edges more easily when it's time for touchups.

Yeah, I've also had mine redone every few months. My stylist does a good job and has tried to only highlight the regrowth. But with such a fine weave it's hard to not overlap sometimes. Some sections of already bleached hair also have hair that needs bleach on the whole length. Even being careful, she's had to go over the whole section before to cover all of the hair. Unfortunately that's the nature of doing a weave. But I have noticed some breakage in my crown and I'm sure it's from overlapping the bleach.