PDA

View Full Version : The most heinous act - Bleaching.

Saye
December 31st, 2010, 03:03 PM
And how I'm about to commit it... (and sorry if I put this in the wrong forum DX) I have worked long and hard on taking care of my hair, but I've gotten to a point where I'm simply bored of it all. I've been thinking of dying it a medium blonde from my current medium brown and cutting it short as well. I have done quite a bit of research on it - and I do NOT trust salons, I am sorry to say. The only people I truly trust with my hair are a select few colorists, but none are available in my area, alas. So then... I have two questions about bleaching now: I can not decide between a 30 or 20 volume developer. I've heard that leaving in 20 for longer will do the same as 30 and with less damage, but is this true? Obviously, I want to minimize damage. I know there will be plenty of - but I don't want to make it EXTREME damage. Should I go with 30 (less time but stronger) or with 20 (more time but weaker)? Does anyone know what to suggest here? :-o My second is about the toner: Should I mix this with a weak 10 volume developer - or 20/30 volume (whatver I chose to bleach with). I've heard mixed things about this as well x) Thank you for the help though!

spidermom
December 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
One thing I've noticed - people get less damage if they apply coconut oil before bleaching. As for your questions, I don't know.

midnightwolf
December 31st, 2010, 03:57 PM
if your going from brown to blonde i recommend 'sunin' as it has lightened my hair greatly and not damaged it, iv been doing it for years and my hair is in great condition. i see myself as blonde, and photos with dark hair just dont look like me. i was blonde until i was about 10, then my hair started to go dark, but i always saw my brown hair as blonde (hair dysmorphia?) so i think il be using this product for a long time, i just hope they dont stop making it :P heres a link to the one i use http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Spray-Lightener-Super-150ml/dp/B001GBBIMG it does come in three levels, i use the super. but for gentler, slower lightening you could use the lemon version or medium.
old hair pre-lightening
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/movie_star/sazstar11111.jpg

Hair now (about 10 years later)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/midnight_wolf_/113_0080.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c160/midnight_wolf_/1.jpg

DTsgirl
December 31st, 2010, 04:00 PM
Wow. That's from Sun-in? Hmmm. I was going to bleach again to get to strawberry blonde from . . . orange, but maybe I'll try that instead. Do you apply heat, like from a blow dryer on warm, just just mist while damp?

midnightwolf
December 31st, 2010, 04:05 PM
Wow. That's from Sun-in? Hmmm. I was going to bleach again to get to strawberry blonde from . . . orange, but maybe I'll try that instead. Do you apply heat, like from a blow dryer on warm, just just mist while damp?

Spray it on towel dry hair then blow dry it or sit in the sun (depending on how much sun you get! in the uk i have to use a blow dryer, only time i do.) the more heat you apply, the lighter it will go. it actually lightens the hair so wont wash off, so if you want it lighter just repeat. So if you don't want it too light, use lemon or med and just repeat until you get the right colour. then when roots grow though just spray the roots and blow dry. it gives a really natural effect, as with real blondes new growth is also a bit darker.

PrincessTieflin
December 31st, 2010, 04:13 PM
Have you put any thought into natural lightening?

And from what I remember years ago when I was a stylist.. either way damage... If it were me I would do the 30 vol. and see how it looks I dont like the thought of 40, or leaving it on longer then recomended... can always tone it down or reapply.. but again I have been out of the salon for 4 years :)

Varney
January 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
Personally I would not recommend bleaching with a spray. Just like ordinary bleach the active ingredient is hydrogen peroxide. The reason I think it is probably worse than ordinary bleach is that you don't wash it off. So you walk around with hydrogen peroxide in your hair until the next time you wash. My personal opinion therefore is that it is probably a bit better to just put your hair through the damaging effects on one single occasion.

Of course how damaging bleaching spray is depends on how often you use it and how strong your hair is (and how many percent hydrogen peroxide it contains). I have a friend who used to bleach her hair with a spray until her hair turned into a chewing gum-like texture and half of it broke off in the middle. She has really fine and sensitive hair though and used it a lot.

Montage
January 2nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
Use 30 vol. developer; it's better (less damaging) to have the stuff on your head for as little time as possible.

As for the toner, you're only depositing the colour. You don't want to lift it anymore, so use 10 vol. developer.