PDA

View Full Version : Help.My hair is thining on one side

janeytilllie
December 31st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hi everyone

I'm becoming very worried about my current hair.

My hair in early 2009 was thining badly so I cut it off to APL. My ends and hair were healthy and thick. I got rid of all the past damage and all layers.

(All pictures clickable)

Hair after cut 20/06/2010

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=42386&albumid=2296&dl=1255604753&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=42386)

I feel that my hair is once again thining. It's increasing. I can not think of why it is happening? I eat healthy, I trim every 4-6 months and I comb gently avoiding breakage. I take good care of my hair.
I do SMTs, deep treaments, clarifying every few months. I'm currently cone free and sulfate free.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=92023&albumid=2286&dl=1293829524&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2286&pictureid=92023)

I use no dyes, heat, brushes.

Yet my hair is once again IMO is getting thin on one side :(

I'm wondering if I'm hitting terminal length?

Has anyone experinced this.

I'm very scared of cutting it off incase it happens once again.

Advice and opinions are most welcome.

Thank you :flower:

Elenna
December 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM
What about your health? Any problems?

Eating enough wholesome foods? Protein? Vitamins? Fresh fruit & vegetables?

I haven't followed your posts, so not sure what you have looked into.

spidermom
December 31st, 2010, 03:27 PM
Look into what might be causing damage and breaking on that side, and if you can find anything, change it. Otherwise, it could be that the hairs on that side are reaching the end of their growth cycles. Every hair on your head has it's own growth limitation, so not every hair will end up as long as the longest hairs.

janeytilllie
December 31st, 2010, 03:40 PM
What about your health? Any problems?

Eating enough wholesome foods? Protein? Vitamins? Fresh fruit & vegetables?

I haven't followed your posts, so not sure what you have looked into.

My diet is pretty much good. I eat lots of fruit, veg, meat and water. My health has been pretty much ok.

Thank you for the advice :flower:

janeytilllie
December 31st, 2010, 03:44 PM
Look into what might be causing damage and breaking on that side, and if you can find anything, change it. Otherwise, it could be that the hairs on that side are reaching the end of their growth cycles. Every hair on your head has it's own growth limitation, so not every hair will end up as long as the longest hairs.

I treat my hair same on both sides. I think you may be right that my hair is growing at different rates. It seems that side always thins out the most.

Thank you for the advice and suggestions it's much appreciated :flower:

McFearless
December 31st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Do you massage your scalp? You could try that with castor oil. A lot of people say it makes their hair grow in thicker. Best of luck to you, I hope you get it sorted, your hair is beautiful.

nytquill
December 31st, 2010, 04:00 PM
It could be something you just haven't considered yet. For example, do you always sleep on that side? Or wear your purse/bag with the strap on that side? Or anything else that could cause damage that occurs mainly on one side (if you always sit on the same side of the car with the window down for example).

Lots of people on here have hair that grows faster on one side or the other though. It's very possible. :)

sibylla
December 31st, 2010, 08:15 PM
I recommend brushing with a BBB a little bit every day /two strokes is enough/ on the thinner part of you scalp. This will promote growth.After a while you will notice a halo of new growth.Do you wear glasses?Sometimes the frames break off the hairs.Also massaging your scalp every evening will help.

christine1989
December 31st, 2010, 08:21 PM
The fact that it is on one side makes me think that it is not health related (if it was I think it would be thinning everywhere). My hair did was also thinner on one side back in June 2010 (pic in my album) but it gradually grew in thicker to match the other side. If you wait it out a few months it may well resolve itself and thicken up on its own.

spidermom
December 31st, 2010, 08:29 PM
If it were me, I'd keep the other side trimmed even with the thinning side (well, in a U-shape rather than absolutely even). Hopefully the thickness will move down as hair grows.

ericthegreat
December 31st, 2010, 08:53 PM
I think it might simply be that your hair naturally grows thicker on one side of your head than the other. Many other members here have reported the same thing, that their hair is often thicker toward one side of their head. Since you say that you aren't sick or suffering from any health issues or nutritional deficiencies, I think that this sounds like a very likely possibility that your hair is just naturally thicker on one side of your head. :)

Peter
December 31st, 2010, 09:14 PM
I think the two most likely possibilities are: a) you have a shorter terminal length on the right side of your head, or b) you have some sort of habit that is leading to breakage only on that side. I agree with what someone else mentioned about sleeping on that side, wearing a purse on that side, etc.

In addition to changing any potential damaging habits, I would probably try oiling the ends and wearing my hair up/braided for several months.

Darkhorse1
December 31st, 2010, 10:26 PM
Haven't read the answers, but remember, hair does not grow evenly--different lengths mean different stages of growth for each hair.

This is why I believe in smaller trims, to allow all the hair to even up--it will never always be equal. And, you also have naturally wavy hair, so you will notice some thinning, but really is your hair curling in different areas.

I cannot get over the change in your hair! how thick is looks and full and how FAST it grew! Whatever you are doing, you're doing it right :)

I am finding, for myself, once I get past tailbone, I don't like how my hair looks. It starts to look very flat and stringy and the ends look thin. No matter how much I trimmed/managed. So, I'm staying at hip length--easier for my lifestyle as well. But, I also figured if I hung in there, my ends would have thickened up in time. I just was having trouble with it being THAT long and my life with horses/being outdoors.

TinaDenali
December 31st, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm going to agree with others and say perhaps your hair grows slower on that side of your head. My husband's hair is this way. I cut his hair every two months or so, and the left side in the back is ALWAYS a good half in longer. It's strange, but it's always like that.

Your hair looks lovely, regardless! :)

missy88
December 31st, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone

I'm becoming very worried about my current hair.

My hair in early 2009 was thining badly so I cut it off to APL. My ends and hair were healthy and thick. I got rid of all the past damage and all layers.

(All pictures clickable)

Hair after cut 20/06/2010

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=42386&albumid=2296&dl=1255604753&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=42386)

I feel that my hair is once again thining. It's increasing. I can not think of why it is happening? I eat healthy, I trim every 4-6 months and I comb gently avoiding breakage. I take good care of my hair.
I do SMTs, deep treaments, clarifying every few months. I'm currently cone free and sulfate free.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=92023&albumid=2286&dl=1293829524&thumb=1 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2286&pictureid=92023)

I use no dyes, heat, brushes.

Yet my hair is once again IMO is getting thin on one side :(

I'm wondering if I'm hitting terminal length?

Has anyone experinced this.

I'm very scared of cutting it off incase it happens once again.

Advice and opinions are most welcome.

Thank you :flower:
Iron deficiency or low B vitamin count could be the culprit. Have your blood checked, often that is what it is. However, if your mother has thinning hair chances are it's in your genes to thin as you age. If my iron is low my hair falls out like crazy!
Hang in there, sounds like you are doing a lot to take care of your hair, well done.

little_cherry
December 31st, 2010, 10:47 PM
Do you sleep on that side? I mostly sleep on my right side and have thinning near the temples. Now I try to flip over.

Heavenly Locks
January 1st, 2011, 02:09 AM
Is it possible that there is something causing breakage on that side? Seat belt, shoulder bag, sleeping position?

Can you tell if the thinning is breakage?

I'm sorry this is happening to you. :( Your hair looks SO lovely now and I'd hate for you to feel you had to cut it.

Purdy Bear
January 1st, 2011, 02:59 AM
If you have concerns get them checked out with a Dr.

I have known one lad (in my youth) who had alopecia on just one side of his head - he looked very fashionable at the time as the New Romantics was all the craze.

There could be other simplier reasons on top of those already discussed - it could be traction alopecia - do you use a braid or pull more to one side in a pony tail. I think this would show in baldness to your non- dominant side. Usually the traction would be around the ears and hair line or parting. It might be worth doing loose updos, braids and ponytails for a while to see if you get any thickness coming back.

janeytilllie
January 1st, 2011, 07:36 AM
Thank you everyone for all your great advice and replies :flowers:

I treat both side of my hair the same.

I think it's either my hair is growing uneven or I'm having breakage on one side due to my hair being more fragile on one side maybe? :hmm:
I'm going to try everyone's suggestions :)

I'm going to do mini trims every month and get an inch cut off each time. I will maintaing at waist for awhile.

I'm also going to look for anti breakage serums,leave in and conditioners to help hide some of the damamage while i'm trimming.

Thanks again everyone! :smooch: