PDA

View Full Version : You'd think friction from scalp massage would damage hair

shikara
December 31st, 2010, 11:51 AM
I've started scalp massages - and I see they are different ways to do them. I like the idea of 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening. Since they are deemed to be so very beneficial to the scalp and hair, I am wondering why you don't have to worry about hair damage from friction between the fingertips, roots, and scalp.

Igor
December 31st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Well, everything is damaging to hair. All sort of touch, friction, handling, combing, putting up. Everything slowly but surely chips away at the structure of hair. The only way you could avoid this completely is in zero gravity where you are lying completely still so your hair doesn’t move against itself and cause friction. Of course this is not possible to do. Some handling is just beneficial too and does a lot of good at the cost of a little extra damage. These things are worth it. Like the increased circulation of a massage, the repairing of a conditioning treatment and the protection of an updo.

shikara
December 31st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Igor, extremely helpful advice. I like the way you worded that a little possible damage for the greater benefit to the hair is worth it. Just like many things in life....

spidermom
December 31st, 2010, 01:18 PM
I think my scalp gets enough stimulation from me bending forward and dragging the blunt teeth of my hardwood comb against my scalp while I comb. I don't like the idea of massaging all around with my fingertips because my hair tangles for any reason and even no reason at all.

eezepeeze
December 31st, 2010, 01:25 PM
I think my scalp gets enough stimulation from me bending forward and dragging the blunt teeth of my hardwood comb against my scalp while I comb. I don't like the idea of massaging all around with my fingertips because my hair tangles for any reason and even no reason at all.

Me too^. If I try to do a massage where I'm swirling my fingers on my scalp in little circles, I wind up with all sorts of crazy knots.

If I gently drag my fingers against my scalp from front to back, I do still get tangles at the midlength of my hair, but not soooo bad.

Mostly, I just comb, like spidermom.

ScarlettAdelle
December 31st, 2010, 01:26 PM
With my curls a dry scalp massage is like asking for tangles. I do a long massage when I wash my hair though. My roomate probably wonders what I'm doing with the shower on when I enter and leave the bathroom in the same clothes after the shower's been on haha

littlenvy
December 31st, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have to admit that when I was doing 'hair' massage I did lose a lot of hair :( ... So now I tried this new trick where I put my fingertips on my head and just try to move my scalp in circular motion rather than put my fingers through my hair and manipulate the roots.
I don't know if it works the same, but my hair shed has decreased.

christine1989
December 31st, 2010, 08:09 PM
I have to admit that when I was doing 'hair' massage I did lose a lot of hair :( ... So now I tried this new trick where I put my fingertips on my head and just try to move my scalp in circular motion rather than put my fingers through my hair and manipulate the roots.
I don't know if it works the same, but my hair shed has decreased.

I had the same issue so now I just pull gently on the roots and wiggle them around a bit. It seems to work just as well without the shedding.

Purdy Bear
January 1st, 2011, 03:06 AM
When I did a Indian head massage workshop some years ago the tutor recommend a firm but gentle touch. Put the fingers on the skin and press down but down swirl too much (this is what does the damage). Keep the fingers in contact with the scalp when you swirl. Then move your fingers a cm or so, part the hair put the fingers on the skin and repeat.

The massage is for the skin and not the hair.

The technique is very similar to the reflexology catapillar crawl massage technique if anyone knows that.

shikara
January 4th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Purdy Bear, if you return here at all, just want you to know that your post was a HUGE help to me - I am now massage 2/day and loving it? Thanks for your help!

McFearless
January 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
What I do is gently put my palms on my scalp and move the skin in circles. I don't rub the hair.

Fufu
January 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I press my scalp gently instead of the rubbing method..

I usually do this 5 minutes everyday before Zzzzz..

UltraBella
January 5th, 2011, 01:53 AM
I give myself scalp massages all the time. My hair doesn't really move during it and I have never experienced shedding or tangling. I really enjoy it !