PDA

View Full Version : What to do with all this conditioner?

Intransigentia
December 31st, 2010, 11:18 AM
Now that I'm a convert to putting coconut oil in my shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191), I don't use conditioner. And I have, seriously, a few gallons of it sitting around, with the bottles anywhere from half full to just used once or twice. My partner has a buzz cut and uses maybe a teaspoon a week, and that only when he's feelign scruffy and overdue for a haircut. I do use conditioner as a shaving cream, but I shave really rarely.

So what else can I do with the surplus? Are there organizations that will take partially-used bottles? Recipes for household stuff that include conditioner? Any suggestions would be most welcome!

MandaMom2Three
December 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM
I'll be watching this thread, I have a LOT of extra conditioner now, same reason :p

jaine
December 31st, 2010, 11:24 AM
I frequently wash my body with conditioner because I feel like soap or shampoo dries my skin too much, especially in the winter. I also use it for shaving.

ktani
December 31st, 2010, 11:31 AM
There are women's shelters, there is the swap board here and they can be given to friends and relatives too (until you convert them), lol.

Conditioner can also be used as it has been said, for shaving cream.

There are options. Good luck!

ETA: Some conditioners can also be used as hand cream.

Carolyn
December 31st, 2010, 11:42 AM
I would keep it and use what I could for body wash and shave gel. You may change your mind somewhere down the line and feel like using conditioner again.

breezefaerie
December 31st, 2010, 12:02 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'd love to find someone who would swap me some shampoo for all my cheapie conditoners!

JuneBride
December 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
I would keep it and do a CO here and there....or as a deep treatment once a week or month ;)

cataphract
December 31st, 2010, 12:07 PM
I wonder if you could add it to your wash as fabric softener....

Intransigentia
December 31st, 2010, 12:13 PM
Interesting idea! After all, conditioners were developed from fabric softening technology in the first place. Might be worth a try, the worst thing that could happen is I'll need to re-wash.

omnivore
December 31st, 2010, 12:23 PM
i would get rid of all the unopened ones in whatever manner, and keep the openeds for just in case. also, would/could your partner have a use for conditioner as shaving lotion?

Intransigentia
December 31st, 2010, 12:45 PM
I wonder if I could convince him to try it. He shaves with just water. Yeah, I cringe every time. I don't know how he manages not to cut himself or irritate the !@#$ out of his skin.

ktani
December 31st, 2010, 12:58 PM
I wonder if I could convince him to try it. He shaves with just water. Yeah, I cringe every time. I don't know how he manages not to cut himself or irritate the !@#$ out of his skin.

The laundry idea is not bad at all. Thin conditioners would work better for that in my opinion.

Doing a conditioner only wash every so often - you would need to clarify again if you do that, and stay with the coconut oil shampoo, unless you are very patient, and allow the coatings to be washed out by the oil shampo after you stop the conditioner, very, very slowly, with the amount of conditioner needed for those kinds of washes or treatments.

Timkerbelle
December 31st, 2010, 01:08 PM
I always hand wash my woolly stuff like mittens and scarves (pure wool things that need hand washing). I wonder if conditioner wouldn't work really well for that, because it is essentially hair after all?

Another use possibly could be to dilute some in a mister bottle if you are ever suffering from statics in your clothes. I know sometimes the central heating makes your skirts stick to your tights etc.

Cowgirl16
December 31st, 2010, 03:42 PM
I have the exact opposite problem. I use shampoo maybe 2x a month. I have about 3 large bottles of shampoo in the cupboard.:rolleyes:

DTsgirl
December 31st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Shaving cream, hydrating body wash and it works really well for removing water proof mascara and other make up. I like it better than any make remover or oil I have ever used. Also for getting adhesive off glass or plastic.

Mountaingrrl
December 31st, 2010, 04:27 PM
You could give it away on Freecycle. http://www.freecycle.org/

firefly42
December 31st, 2010, 06:05 PM
im gonna try the body wash idea. thats brilliant :)

susiemw
January 1st, 2011, 02:50 AM
Your local homeless shelter or shelter for abused women and children would most likely be thrilled with that type of donation.

Susan

naturegirl321
January 1st, 2011, 04:53 AM
YOu might be able to donate it
Women's shelters
Hair salon schools
Friends.

julliams
January 1st, 2011, 06:09 AM
Could you perhaps add an SMT into your weekly routine? That way you would have all the conditioner you will ever need for the year (or two) and just make it a special treat???

Madame J
January 1st, 2011, 08:38 AM
Convince your partner to take up competitive bicycle racing so that he starts shaving his legs regularly?

Seriously, though, I swapped a bottle of conditioner that I used once and hated on the swap board for a beautiful hair stick that I don't hate. As long as you're honest about how much of the conditioner is gone from the bottle, people will take partially-used bottles off the swap board.

Carolyn
January 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM
Your local homeless shelter or shelter for abused women and children would most likely be thrilled with that type of donation.

SusanActually no. I've offered it to a local shelter for women and children and was turned down. They told me they would take unopened bottles but anything that had been used would go in the trash.

cataphract
January 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Interesting idea! After all, conditioners were developed from fabric softening technology in the first place. Might be worth a try, the worst thing that could happen is I'll need to re-wash.

If you try this, would you let me know how it goes? My boyfriend was talked into buying conditioner once when he got his hair cut. His hair is so short he really doesn't need it or use it.

Intransigentia
January 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Convince your partner to take up competitive bicycle racing so that he starts shaving his legs regularly?

Ooh, purr, purr! :eyebrows:

Deborah
January 1st, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have the exact opposite problem. I use shampoo maybe 2x a month. I have about 3 large bottles of shampoo in the cupboard.:rolleyes:

This is easier to use up. Since shampoo is such a harsh cleanser, it's great for things like scrubbing your shower and tub. I used all mine up pretty quickly doing this.

omnivore
January 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM
This is easier to use up. Since shampoo is such a harsh cleanser, it's great for things like scrubbing your shower and tub. I used all mine up pretty quickly doing this.

at the risk of :horse: of pantene, i did find that it was really good for cleaning the bathtub, plus it did an awesome job as laundry soap substitute for sheets and pillowcases.

OperaTeacherMom
January 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM
You ladies are geniuses, I'm totally putting conditioner in my fabric softener slot next time I do laundry!

pepperminttea
January 1st, 2011, 01:33 PM

Agreed, I also use it for my combs and brushes now and then.

Anne~
January 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Too bad you don't have horses. All my shampoo and conditioner that I do not like I take out to the barn and use it when I wash my horses. Usually I am very pleased with the results on them. :o

UltraBella
January 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM
Actually no. I've offered it to a local shelter for women and children and was turned down. They told me they would take unopened bottles but anything that had been used would go in the trash.

Same here, the women's shelter and the Mercy home will not take used bottles of anything.

Choctaw
January 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM
How about oil rinsing? or do a heavy oiling with coconut and wash out with conditioner. Either way can get rid of lots of conditioner fast.

Intransigentia
January 5th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Well, I henndigoed my hair on new years day, and I sure used a lot of conditioner getting all the grit out. So I'm sure I'll use the stuff up eventually.

embee
January 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I have used conditioner as the wash liquid for my woolen scarves. It left them wonderfully soft, with a gentle fragrance. Yes, they did get quite clean. I could see the wash water getting icky and the rinse water was clear..

calicokatt
January 5th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Mail it to me to use on my horses!! ;)

anthonyswife
January 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Too bad you don't have horses. All my shampoo and conditioner that I do not like I take out to the barn and use it when I wash my horses. Usually I am very pleased with the results on them. :o

We do the same thing! :)

ddiana1979
January 5th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I use conditioner that didn't work well on my hair for several things: shaving my legs, as a conditioner after bathing my pets (I cleared specific brands with my fiancé, who is a vet), hand-washing wool garments, & even conditioning/polishing leather shoes or purses (do a test in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't cause de-coloration of the leather).

Some homeless shelters will take it, though not all. There's a program here sponsored by the hospital (sadly can't remember the name) that gives vaccines to homeless people, and also gives them toiletries and basic care items.

I also give it to family members or friends, if they're willing to take it. Anybody with horses will love you for it.

Anje
January 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Just a random thought: you might be able to take it to the gym (or a dorm if you've got connections to the college world) and offer it to the ladies there. In my experience, most people aren't as choosy about products as we are here, and may snap them up as soon as they realize they're just from someone who doesn't care for the product. Maybe clear it with the people at the gym first, then leave them out labeled "free to a good home" or similar.

Intransigentia
January 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Mail it to me to use on my horses!! ;)

Hey, I have a better idea: mail me your horses!

...sigh... I don't have the money, the time, or the energy, but damn do I ever miss the horsey-times I had when I was younger.

omnivore
January 15th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Aww, you guys! To this day, I miss terribly the horses I worked for. The owner of the farm could never figure out how I got them all so shiny before a show. Their before a show bath with always with Tresseme and a cold water rinse :D

I have been successfully using conditioner as fabric softener! I had a partial bottle of Herbal Essences Body Envy conditioner that a co-worker gave to me when she moved. I liked the smell, but for whatever reason didn't feel particularly drawn to using it. There was about 1/3 of the bottle left, and it filled it the rest of the way with water and shook it up. Pour it from the bottle into the Downy ball and chuck it into the wash, like usual. Seems to work just fine, and it still smells nice!

Anywhere
January 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I've used thicker conditioners as lotions if I didn't like them. Or I give them to my mom. I'm sure I could find plenty of people who would want my conditioner... if it's free, people will take it.