PDA

View Full Version : An Experiment In Side Bangs

trillcat
December 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I have been waging war against the fringe of my hair for, well a long time. Threads started, angst a plenty (from me). I think in my last post about fringe I promised not to start another one. lol Oh well.
Cut or not to cut, grow long, but what to do as they grow, how do I not look like a 40 yr old+ hippy, not that I don't like the middle part and long hair, it just looks hideous on me and it does look old hippy. Again I wish , I so wish I looked good with that hair, not hippy at all on some, on me, not good. Let me state that again, good hair, not good on me.
ANYWAY, On a whim, I blow dried my chin length fringe to the side and it came out... not bad! Not great, but I look less, for lack of a better term, foreheady.
Now I feel like I look crooked though. I am so used to the middle part, now with the side swoop my face is all different. Not bad, but I don't know how to better to describe it than I feel crooked. I have the constant urge to run my hand through my hair to get the hair off my right eye (I am parting to the left) It keeps falling down, how do side swept people keep the hair out of their eyes??
On the plus side, my hair is parting like that without a lot of dilema to switch from the middle part.
I just feel all weird!

Jenn of Pence
December 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Here's a thread from a little while back on side bangs. I thought there was some interesting tips, especially the link to the Long Hair Loom.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57510.
I like side swept bangs as well! I wore my hair with "fake" ones for years and years. Right now I'm growing out my bangs and rocking the middle part at the moment, but occasionally I'll change it up.

Olyve
December 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM
My bangs are just about nose length (I am growing them out again) and I wear them side swept, the shorter hairs that are from further across my forehead (where it parts) tend to fall still but I have been able to keep them out of my eyes by training them. It has taken about 8 weeks to get my hair to listen to the my blowfryer (only area of my hair that gets heat).

I use a round brush to give volume and guide the ends in the direction I want them to lay.

spidermom
December 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
As my face-framing fringe grew out, I used cute little clips to hold the layers out of my face. I had a couple of very small, jeweled claw clips - they worked about the best and looked good, too.

naturegirl321
December 31st, 2010, 07:04 AM
I like them, but the problem is that I'm constatnly pushing them out of my eyes and off my faces and they get greasy.

CrisDee
December 31st, 2010, 08:48 AM
I am also waging the fringe war with myself. I'm not 40+, I'm 50+, and not at ALL sure that the no-fringe/bangs thing looks good on me. I had bangs for well over 30 years before I decided to try to grow them out last year. I really want to try to achieve APL before I decide whether to re-cut them, but it's a daily battle. I'm glad to hear of others that have the same inner struggle! :)

jaine
December 31st, 2010, 10:42 AM
I am also waging the fringe war with myself. I'm not 40+, I'm 50+, and not at ALL sure that the no-fringe/bangs thing looks good on me. I had bangs for well over 30 years before I decided to try to grow them out last year. I really want to try to achieve APL before I decide whether to re-cut them, but it's a daily battle. I'm glad to hear of others that have the same inner struggle! :)

I like your idea of hanging in there for a little longer before you decide! I always, always, always get frustrated around chin length when I'm growing out a fringe because it starts to look like my face is being weighed down and I feel like the problem will just get worse as they get longer with no light at the end of the tunnel ... but after trying on my wig this week I think I'm wrong about that. That wig I tried on has bangs that are just a few inches past chin and my face didn't look weighed down at all. Weird!

Toadstool
December 31st, 2010, 11:01 AM
I've parted mine in the centre and made two tiny plaits of them, one clipped back on each side. My fringe is only about eyebrow length and looks ridiculous whatever I do with it thanks to cowslicks. But the plaits make me feel at least I can do something with my hair!