PDA

View Full Version : Tips for S&D

midnightwolf
December 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
If theres already a thread feel free to give me a link. i looked and searched but couldn't find anything.
How do you guys get rid of split ends? what do you find works best?
How often do you have to do it?

Personally, i keep a pair of small scissors next to my computer and when ever u get bored, just go though and snip them. I find its easiest to spot them when my hair is in a braid. But i would like tips on how to do it better :)

rach
December 30th, 2010, 04:21 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146

McFearless
December 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Use very sharp scissors made for hair and use them on your hair only. Trim a little bit above the split end or white dot.

nytquill
December 30th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I have two methods. I take a very small strand of hair and loop it tightly over my finger. The ends pop out of the loop and I can hold them up to a strong light (normally my computer screen either on facebook or on this site!). And when I'm done in one spot just slide my finger down the loop towards the end.

Then usually when I get to the end (this is where it's important to have a SMALL strand, so you can see the individual ends clearly) I just kind of fan out the last couple of inches in front of the light, pinching the base of the "fan" in my fingers, and check all the ends. Sometimes I'll just do this part and skip the sliding loop part, it depends on my mood.

LittleOak
December 31st, 2010, 06:36 AM
One thing I have found to be useful for S&D is to wear a black top and examine a small group of hairs in natural light with the jumper as a backdrop. I suspect that this might not work for those with very dark hair but I have found it to be very effective in highlighting the split ends which tend to be a lighter 'bulb' on the end of the strand. I guess this is the opposite to what some of you guys do with the lighter backdrop computer screen :D

Neen
December 31st, 2010, 08:29 AM
There have been a few threads on this topic, but it's difficult to find them using the search function. Here's a link to one that came up during my time here and I found most helpful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=9898