PDA

View Full Version : Color Correction tomorrow: NERVOUS!

skydancer7
December 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Hi gang!

I have been using various combinations of henna and indogo to get a deep chocolate/cherry brown/black. The color is very nice, but the upkeep has been waaay too much: roots every week, with various results from somewhat adequate root coverage to not adequate and requiring a re-do. EVERY WEEK. I want to go back to my natural ash brown.

Anyway, I had a consultation today and the stylist said she can bleach and tone using heavy foiling. She did a strand test, which turned turqoise (which I told her I would be expecting) and she says she can tone over that.

I am nervous! My hair is currently strong, thick, coarse, and healthy. Wish me luck achieving a nice color and with minimal damage! I will let you all know how it goes.

Here is how it looks now:

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/skydancer7/IMG_1440.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/skydancer7/IMG_1428.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/skydancer7/IMG_1425.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o397/skydancer7/IMG_1423.jpg

ellen732
December 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I would have had her tone the turquoise swatch as well.....she is going to have to use something very warm (like orange) in order to cancel that out. Heavy foiling alone is going to change the way your hair feels and you need to know that it may take more than one appointment in order to get you where you want to be. There will also be upkeep when your hair is done as all chemical color fades. I am just giving you my professional opinion as a hairstylist with 20 years experience.

skydancer7
December 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Wow! Thank you very much, that is very good to know. Would you recommend against this plan? Any other ideas for growing out my natural color in a way that has a gradual transition? I don't want to do "cold turkey"...

skydancer7
December 30th, 2010, 04:44 PM
You know what? I just can't do it. Looking at these pictures, and my DH's feedback, my hair is the healthiest it has been in a long time. The color is so pretty. I would hate to ruin my 2 years growth progress by having to hack off a bad color job and/or damage. I guess I will keep up with the hendigo for as long as I can, and figure it out later :)

Thanks for your advice Ellen732, you helped me avoid a potential mistake!!

Phew, that was a close one!!

ellen732
December 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Well, if I were you, and I am you because I hendigo too, I would try to lighten it as gently as possible perhaps either with the honey lightening recipes, or I almost hate to say this but perhaps Sun-in and see how much fade you can get, and then go with a demipermanent to tone to the ash brown you want. I know the big problem here is getting your color to fade, but you don't have to fade too many levels to reach a med. brown, therefore I don't recommend getting it foiled with bleach. Be patient and see if either of my recommendations works for you.

jaine
December 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Would it be better if the demarcation line was blurred? If so you could do henna/indigo glosses on your roots instead of full applications, for the next few inches ... glosses would be translucent to let some of your natural color show through. The demarcation line would be more of a zone fading from the henna color to your natural color. With a french braid I think it would be especially beautiful! I love hair with multiple tones in it.

Bucatini
December 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Re: your lightening efforts and the sun-in suggestion, Salon Selectives used to make a highlighting foam. It was subtle and gradual, low levels of peroxide that I would guess are more than using honey but less than actually "Bleaching." You could see the progression of the color change and stop when you liked the result. I think it's been discontinued but you could try ebay maybe? It was good stuff, IMO.

TinaDenali
December 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I'm glad you decided not to do it. I think it would have been disastrous!

I'd agree with the suggestion of gradually fading it out. Just do lighter and less potent applications for the next few months. And stretch the time between applications. I know roots suck - I've got ash brown/blonde hair, too, and I used to chemically dye it jet black. I would have roots after about 10 days. It drove me nuts. But, if you can stretch your applications just a bit longer and do lighter and lighter applications, I think it should fade out. And just do your roots, not the length.

Also, I'd try honey lightening, as also suggested. It's a bit of a pain, I think, to do - but it just might help!

And, before you know it, your hair will meet in the middle and be a lighter color that you can grow out!

I hope it all works out for you!! :)

skydancer7
December 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM
These are some great ideas! Thanks for all the input.

venus57
December 31st, 2010, 12:35 AM
Ok so I am a hairstylist and my words of wisdom are to have her take out the henna with a solution of 70% alcohol, then apply mineral oil, saturating the strands,cover with a cap and put you under a dryer for 30 min, apply clarifying shampoo etc. The goal should always be to keep your hair healthy, bleaching it is going to cause major damage also if it turned turquoise it will be very hard to tone. Anyway, I hope it works out whatever route you decide to take!!

dropinthebucket
December 31st, 2010, 08:33 AM
I agree, maybe you could play with the ratios to get close to your natural colour, and blend them, so there's no real demarcation line as your hair grows out. If your pixie pic is your virgin colour, it actually looks quite reddish to me, not ash at all. The roots in the one pic you posted with hendigo also look "oranger" than the hendigo, but not ashy. Maybe it's the camera light?

I might actually see if someone you trust but who doesn't see your hair every day can look at the colour and tell you what colour they think it is, in natural day light. Or go to the Sally's where they have all the hair swatches beside the hair dyes and see if the girl can match one to your roots for you. If it is reddish instead of ash (rather than the cool cherry/brown of the hendigo) you may just be able to put more henna in your mix and get an almost perfect match. Pure henna over the hendigo may also redden the length a bit to match, lessening the demarcation even more.

If it is ashier, you might still be able to match it, depending on how dark it is. I have medium ash brown hair, and Lush's Caca Brun mixed with a tiny bit of noir is an almost perfect match for my natural hair colour (you can see it in my avatar - daylight shot, no flash - there are some purply/cherry bits where I had highlights before, and hendigoed over them, but thankfully, those are growing out). As my virgin colour grows in, you can't see any difference in colour at all, only a difference in shine. Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

skydancer7
January 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Dropinthebucket,
the roots you saw were my latest attempt at hendigo. The indigo doesn't always "take" in a consistent manner, one of the many reasons I want to give it up. As you can see, this time around my roots turned out more red than dark brown/black.

The pixie cut is a salon dye color that was used after bleaching the crap out of my hair. My natural color truly is ashy; I just don't have any pictures that reflect that, at least not uploaded on my computer yet :)

xovictoryxo
January 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM
I am so glad u didnt go and bleach ur hair,
I am hearing good things about cinnamon lightening hair.
Also, I dont think your roots look too bad or dramatic.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2011, 11:48 AM
Another idea to let your natural color emerge without a sharp line of demarcation - just do the roots in panels (parting off your hair from one side to the other, like stripes), leaving other panels alone.

skydancer7
January 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
oOo I like this idea! Kind of like just adding hendigo lowlights to roots?