PDA

View Full Version : Deep Conditioner

AleenaGenise
December 30th, 2010, 03:59 PM
What's a great deep condtioner for super dry hair? My friend's hair is really dry....Ive suggested a few things for her to try, but her hair is different than mine. It just seems to dry out a lot faster....any ideas of really good deep conditioners for thick, curly, dry hair? :confused:

jesis
December 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
1 part EVOO/1 part Honey (about a tbsp. of each, and you can add other oils in if you'd like). Heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave, put it on dry hair, leave it in for 30 minutes and then shampoo out!

Totte
December 30th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I have an extremely dry under layer of hair which sometimes feels like barb wire :( However, I recently tamed it somewhat by using a mixture of oils, mainly argan, castor and avocado to soak that part of my hair, leave it over night before CWC washing it out and finishing it off with a beer rinse :) It worked wonders for me.

AleenaGenise
December 30th, 2010, 05:23 PM
1 part EVOO/1 part Honey (about a tbsp. of each, and you can add other oils in if you'd like). Heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave, put it on dry hair, leave it in for 30 minutes and then shampoo out!

I've tried ths before, I love it :) I told my friend about it before, but I dnt thnk she ever tried it

AleenaGenise
December 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I have an extremely dry under layer of hair which sometimes feels like barb wire :( However, I recently tamed it somewhat by using a mixture of oils, mainly argan, castor and avocado to soak that part of my hair, leave it over night before CWC washing it out and finishing it off with a beer rinse :) It worked wonders for me.

That sounds great! I'll tell her to try tht. I love beer rinses too

Annalouise
December 31st, 2010, 08:39 AM
Also, I wonder what your friend is doing that is drying out her hair? Sometimes it is just hair type. My hair is fine and it dries out easily because I live in the desert. You could tell your friend to try a deep conditioner and a heating cap. The heat helps the conditioner to penetrate better. Also, I do Conditioner only now and that has helped my hair a lot. And one more thing is that products can build up and leave the hair feeling dry so make sure its not product build-up. And finally coconut oil overnight before washing seems to help my hair.

AleenaGenise
December 31st, 2010, 03:21 PM
Also, I wonder what your friend is doing that is drying out her hair? Sometimes it is just hair type. My hair is fine and it dries out easily because I live in the desert. You could tell your friend to try a deep conditioner and a heating cap. The heat helps the conditioner to penetrate better. Also, I do Conditioner only now and that has helped my hair a lot. And one more thing is that products can build up and leave the hair feeling dry so make sure its not product build-up. And finally coconut oil overnight before washing seems to help my hair.

I really think she's just washing her hair too much and not moisturizing it enough. She tried an oil rinse and deep condition yesterday...My hair is usually pretty well moisturized after tht, but her hair is a lot different than mine...we'll see what happens. Thx :)

PeaceLoveHair
December 31st, 2010, 08:39 PM
Olive oil and mixed with avocado and eggs

Mayonnaise. Simple but effective!

christine1989
December 31st, 2010, 08:43 PM
My favorites are castor mixed with jojoba oil, Giovanni deep conditioning hair treatment or just plain old coconut oil.

klcqtee
January 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
Straight olive oil makes my hair very happy. Just put it in, tie a plastic bag over my head (too cheap to buy shower caps, but it's the same principle), then leave on as long as I can stand (anywhere between 2 hours to over night), and wash out as usual. Makes my hair very moisturized and really soft and manageable for a few weeks.

Maybe you could take a guess at her hair type? That would help us make recommendations, and you could especially recommend what people of a similar hair type suggest.

AleenaGenise
January 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM
Straight olive oil makes my hair very happy. Just put it in, tie a plastic bag over my head (too cheap to buy shower caps, but it's the same principle), then leave on as long as I can stand (anywhere between 2 hours to over night), and wash out as usual. Makes my hair very moisturized and really soft and manageable for a few weeks.

Maybe you could take a guess at her hair type? That would help us make recommendations, and you could especially recommend what people of a similar hair type suggest.

hmm...I have no idea what her hair type is......I guess maybe 4b...really kinky and dry....it just seems to soak up anything. She really washes her hair too much I think and needs to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...

klcqtee
January 8th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I've heard quite a few curly haired people claim there hair will "soak up anything" and have success with straight olive oil, just as I do. It's really easy. I'd suggest it to her. I think it's at least worth trying, based on the success of other curlies.

NouvelleNymphe2
January 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Thank you so much! This recipe is simple enough. I always have these items in the cupboard. I'm going to try it right away! Merci beaucoup!:cheese: