PDA

View Full Version : My first braid

Avvoltoio
December 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I made this thread according to Updo on man thread suggestions: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61206

I already uploaded some picture here about half-up, low and high ponytail:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62355

this is my first braid of my life :D, it is a bit higgledy-piggledy :)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6530&pictureid=91930

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6530&pictureid=91932

and when i got out the hairtie :), i think the braid end was too tight
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6530&pictureid=91931

I am curious about your opinions

LisaMonster
December 30th, 2010, 03:33 PM
It looks great!! I can't braid down my back at all. :)

spidermom
December 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
It doesn't look too tight. It looks good.

fairy_ends_girl
December 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
looks great! i'm going to braid mine now :)

trillcat
December 30th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Nice job!
Yea, its a bit wonky, but hey for a very first try, very nice!
Once you get "muscle memory" in your hands, when they remember which way to go without even thinking about it, its gets easier.
The most "higgledy-piggledy" ( I love that term :) ) part looks to be near the nape of the neck down about 4 inches, and that is tough when you first start to braid. You have 3 hanks of long hair, you're trying to braid it, which is totaly new, and de-tangle as you go so the bottom part doesn't reverse braid from the top, it's all very confusing at first! Then you switch it over your shoulder to braid the longer parts and the brain does a "What did you just do there?" and the fingers go "Huh?"
Keep braiding, looks good so far!

bumblebums
December 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
It looks great!

My diagnosis of the higgledy-pigglediness (or is it higgldiness-piggldiness? :) ) is that your middle section is considerably smaller than the side sections, and the right side section is thicker than the left-side. It's not surprising if you're right-handed for the right section to be bigger. Look up Dianyla's braid if you would like a method of parting the hair that ensures a more even partition--it's the best way for me to get an even braid!

Capybara
December 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Great braid! That looks awesome on you.

PrincessTieflin
December 30th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Very nice! :)

I love how thick it looks at the nape.. Mine will never look that thick, so only french braids for me :)

midnightwolf
December 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM
looks awesome. Do you have any tips on how to braid like that? i can only do it over one side or in two (one each side of my head) never down the back :(

patienceneeded
December 30th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Nice job, expecially for a first try! I think it looks great.

christine1989
December 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Great braid! The ends look really healthy too. :)

Dragon
December 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
You did a great job :)

eezepeeze
December 30th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hey, that's good for a first braid, especially behind your back.

Did you have to braid over your shoulder? My one tip for switching from behind the head to over the shoulder is this: once you go to over the shoulder braid in OPPOSITE direction you have been. Don't twist the braid or turn it over or around, just lay it over your shoulder, keep braiding, but in a mirror image. Kind of like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmTL4cvr7q0

This is a video by Torrin explaining a bunch of basic things and about halfway through the video, she explains how to braid over your shoulder.

Hope you find that helpful! :)

CiannaitTrozel
December 31st, 2010, 01:06 AM
Looks great!

Avvoltoio
December 31st, 2010, 01:46 AM
LisaMonster: Thank you! But at least you can do beautiful lace braid :)

spidermom: i felt the ends tighter than the upper part and thin, but thank you :)

fairy_ends_girl: Thank you, i am curious about your braid too :)

trillcat: thank you, so i found in the dictionary that term(higgledy-piggledy) for the Hungarian word "összevissza". Yes i tryed to detangle during braiding, and i started again some times cause i lost where goes where :D. Yes i switched over shoulder, and continued on mirror, but only from when i was done about 2/3 of the length

bumblebums: yes i had many problems, and startover cause i was not able to make sections of hair with the same size. Thanks for the suggestion, i will check her method :)

Capybara: Thank you! :)

PrincessTieflin: Thank you! :) I think when your hair will grow longer it will be also thicker

midnightwolf: Thank you! I don't really know what should i suggest, but i write all down how i did, it maybe can help:
i tryed to part to 3 equal section of my hair, i started to braid on my back of head without seeing it, with my hands up, and as the braid got longer, my hands needed to be more upper and backward, when my arms was not enough long i switched over shoulder, and continued it while watching the process on mirror. What i would change, the parting of my hair, to get more equal sections of hair, and switch over shoulder earlier.

patienceneeded: Thank you!

christine1989: Thank you! i try to keep it healty with mini trims in every 3-4 months 3-4mm :)

Dragon: Thank you!

eezepeeze: Yes i take over, and continued watching mirror but too late, when i finished at least 2/3 of my braid. Thank you, and thanks for linking the the video too, i love the videos of Torrinpaige, they are really useful :)

CiannaitTrozel: Thank you!

Little_Bird
December 31st, 2010, 04:06 AM
Tehee yaay for braids :D

Ishje
December 31st, 2010, 04:12 AM
that is very good for your first braid!

Vorvolaka
December 31st, 2010, 04:35 AM
That's good for a first try! It does get easier the more you do it.

CastaDiva
December 31st, 2010, 04:45 AM
Very nice first attempt:)

LovelyL
December 31st, 2010, 04:45 AM
http://ofepicproportions.blogspot.com/2009/04/elves.html

this is the picture I mean Legolas's hair! (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IWPKarIzd7w/SegeprWwzDI/AAAAAAAAAX0/-kxEVt2ALK0/s320/legolas.jpg), once you get more practise with braids of course :)

Keep it up :cheese:

caadam
December 31st, 2010, 05:14 AM
Awesome. Can't go wrong with a simple English braid. Nice job!
And one day my hair will be that long! -shakes fist- > O

Melisande
December 31st, 2010, 05:25 AM
It looks fine. I love braids on men. Some days ago a nice looking young man sat in the bus before me, and I admired his braid. I hesitated whether to say anything and in the end was embarrassed to do so - it's much easier for me to compliment women.

But here I can say it ;-) I think there is something wonderfully masculine in male braids - beautifully contained power. (Of course, braids are wonderfully feminine as well - that's the great thing about them).

You did a great job! I wonder how a rope braid would look on you...?

kschr2004
December 31st, 2010, 05:37 AM
Nice job for a first try! I think most of my braids look like that, as I've never quite gotten the hang of making them even. :)

lapushka
December 31st, 2010, 10:40 AM
I think it suits you! Nice braid. :thumbsup:

Intransigentia
December 31st, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'd say it's nice even for a not-first try!

deko
December 31st, 2010, 12:45 PM
It looks very nice and straight!

My braids tend to tilt to the right side. I haven't learned the "braid it before shoulder" routine so I braid behind my back and when my hands don't reach then I lift my braid up and continue. It get's a bit wonky :)

Anywhere
December 31st, 2010, 12:48 PM
Looks like my braids. :D
Great for a first try. Excellent, actually.

ScarlettAdelle
December 31st, 2010, 01:21 PM
Looks great! I absolutely adore long hair on men.. just don't see enough of it!

Your braid looks miles better than my first attempt.. *cringe* soon your fingers will get the hang of it :)

Quixii
December 31st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Love it! I hope you do it again. :D I think it looks great, despite any higgledy-piggledy-ness.

Avvoltoio
January 1st, 2011, 04:20 AM
Little_Bird: Thank you :)

Ishje: Thank you, i tryed my best :)

Vorvolaka: Thank you! ^_^

CastaDiva: Thank you :)

LovelyL: Thank you for the links, i am sure i will try the half-up, with braids what legolas had ^_^

caadam Thank you, i wish you will reach your goal length as fast as possible .)

Melisande: I know what you feel, yes here easier to admire somebody :)
Thank you, i also thinked to try rope braid, but first i will search for a good tutorial, then i will try :)

kschr2004: Thank you! ^_^ maybe yours will be better as you practise it too :)

lapushka: Thank you! :)

Intransigentia: Thank you! ^_^

deko: Thank you :), i did this braid start on my back, and switched over shoulders when i finished 2/3, but i would switch it earlier next time

Anywhere: Thank you! ^_^

ScarlettAdelle: Thank you, i may you are right
i say the same about long haired women, i can't see enough of them :)

Quixii: Thank you :), seeing comments there i am sure i will do it again, and if it will look better i will upload new picture ^_^

C. sinensis
January 1st, 2011, 11:17 PM
Wow, that's AWESOME for a first try! My first ones were a lot messier, especially behind my head. They do get smoother and easier with practice, though. :)

bte
January 2nd, 2011, 04:46 AM
Look great - must be very comfortable.

Avvoltoio
January 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
C. sinensis: Thank you :), after seeing comments like your i am sure i will practise, and wear it :)

bte: Thank you! :)