PDA

View Full Version : just bought some coconut oil!

fairy_ends_girl
December 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
It looks soooo yummy! i can't wait to slather it all over my hair! Okay, so how do i use this stuff? i am thinking i will put it in my dry hair and then braid for bed? Will it work on dry hair or just wet hair? i am so excited to try this! It smells so delicious. i also bought some hair vitamins from the GNC store yesterday. The vita has 1200 mg of biotin in it and lots of vita's including sulfer. Soo glad to be a part of this forum!:D

ElusiveMuse
December 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I use about a dime sized bit on dry hair. I rub it into my palms and smooth my palms over sections of my hair, concentrating at the ends. I use jojoba oil on wet hair. For some reason, coconut oil and my hair when wet just doesn't work. But you should experiment with what works for you.

spidermom
December 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
My favorite way to use it is to apply generously to my length (keeping it away from my scalp) before bed, then braid (top-of-head braid for sleeping). I wash my hair the next morning, usually by using diluted shampoo, which removes enough oil for me. Some people end up with greasey hair when they do this, so it takes some experimenting to figure out the right amount of oil and the timing. I don't like oil in clean hair; it attracts lint and dust.

fairy_ends_girl
December 30th, 2010, 03:42 PM
thanks! Okay, i'm going put some in my hair now and then braid it for bed. Soooo excited! i'll check back tomorrow with results after i wash it out in morning. :)

McFearless
December 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
I use it on damp hair to lock in moisture, and in dry hair as a prewash treatment like Spidermom mentioned.

jesis
December 30th, 2010, 04:47 PM
What are the vitamins you got called?

christine1989
December 30th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Be sure to use a very tiny amount to start with. I made the mistake of using too much the first time and my hair stunk so bad until I got it all out!

PrincessTieflin
December 30th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I use just over a thumb nail scraping, smooth over damp hair and braid/bun.. works well for keeping my fuzzys in check...

But like the others have said, experiment my hair loves it wet, dry, damp. :)

bumblebums
December 30th, 2010, 05:17 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71

Here you go. Start with a very small amount, a drop's worth. You can always add more if needed.

nytquill
December 30th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah start small. The first time I used it I put the recommended amount (a fingernail scraping's worth or just enough to make your hands a bit shiny) onto my hands and I thought oh that'll never be enough to do all my hair so I got some more out...turns out the first little bit would've been plenty lol! It doesn't seem like it will be enough to do anything but it really doesn't take much.

Although if you do find your hair over-oiled the next day...well that's a great time to do a nice braid! Braids look so nice in heavily-oiled hair.

On wet clean hair it will actually penetrate into the hair shaft and help protect it from the inside out. On dry hair it doesn't really penetrate but it does cover and protect externally. In both cases it makes it shiny and slippery (less prone to tangles). Remember it will seal in moisture that's already in your hair but seal out any moisture your hair might absorb from the outside. Oils in themselves are not moisturizers but they do boost shine and protect the hair :)

Athena's Owl
December 31st, 2010, 02:06 AM
I use coconut oil in my hair as a long-leave in prewash treatment. I use "a hell of a lot" and let my hair absorb it for several hours before washing.

Mountaingrrl
January 3rd, 2011, 12:05 AM
I just bought some coconut oil recently too! I've used it as a pre-washing treatment, I've used it mixed with a little shampoo, and I've used a little bit to tame dry and frizzy spots. Works like a charm.

julliams
January 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
I use the tiniest bit and smooth it over my palms until it is all liquid. Then I massage it in. If you overdo it, your hair will look oily and you will have to wear it up or wash it again. You can always add more.

PraiseCheeses
January 3rd, 2011, 02:00 AM
You can add a little to your shampoo :)

I love it for my hair - but it also makes amazing popcorn!