PDA

View Full Version : self-trimmed!

myria
December 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I tried it. I used the put-the-elastic-round-the-ends-and trim method. It works! I think my hair is now more or less blunt cut! It does feel short though I took off about an inch to even up the ends. They were wispy after no trims for 18months.
I thought about taking off 2 inches more to thicken them but I think I'd rather trim it gradually (maybe 1/2in every 2 months) rather than have a big chop since it isn't damaged, just thin.
I'm really pleased with the result - I have my hair in a braid for the first time in ages and it has a short, neat 'tassel' :D

bunzfan
December 30th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Its very easy isn't it i did the same before Christmas and got great results.

leoninnu
December 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I learned to trim my own hair too just couple of months ago. It was alot easier than I thought. Since in most hair salons around where I live it costs the same whether you just get a small trim or a full hair cut I thought I'd rather trim them myself. And this way I don't have to fight with the stylists anymore, they always want to layer my hair for some reason ._.

Avvoltoio
December 30th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Self trimming is the best way of keep hair healty during growing hair, many hairdresser would not understand why you grow hair and not care about it, or just can't measure the length to trim what you want, and trim much more length.

cubedcoley
December 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hmm, Can you elaborate a little? Did you pull it straight up and trim it? I have looked at a few tutorials online and would like to learn more about self-trimming. Thanks for any help or methods you can tell me about :flowers:

Anywhere
December 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm glad to see that you're pleased. :)

I too plan on cutting off an inch or two on February 18, just to get rid of some of the thinness. Glad you had success. :cheese:

LittleOak
December 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Congratulations with your self trim :) Really glad it worked out for you. I always feel a little triumphant once I've neatened up a bit! It is such a lovely feeling having fresh ends and knowing that you achieved them yourself :D

myria
December 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I am oddly proud of myself (last time I cut my own hair I was 7 and the results were awful). It'll save me a ton of money - a trim in town here is £15!

cubedcoley - I just copied diesushibitch's method here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI.
There's another method I've seen online where you centre part your hair, tilt your head back and trim each side separately but I don't think I could do that and get both sides even.

azhie
December 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I have layers but I want to start evening out the edges... I don't want to go to a hair salon or cut off a lot though. How should I start?

Kristin
December 30th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I do the same thing. Loepsie (also on YourTube) has a tutorial using the same technique.

Dragon
December 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I am glad it turned out well :)

triumphator!
December 30th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Good job! Threads like these ease my fears for when I finally decide to trim....

christine1989
December 30th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I do this method for micro trims and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm hoping to even my ends up through small trims but may do a larger one in the next few months.

x0h_bother
December 30th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Yay great job! I could never do that correctly!

naturegirl321
December 31st, 2010, 07:07 AM
I use this method http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

bumblebums
December 31st, 2010, 07:13 AM
cubedcoley - I just copied diesushibitch's method here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI.
There's another method I've seen online where you centre part your hair, tilt your head back and trim each side separately but I don't think I could do that and get both sides even.

DieSushiBitch is known as Emichiee around here :)

But yeah, the self-trimming methods are known as Feye's Self Trim. I've tried the U-cut and the straight-across, and they all worked out great. It's really liberating--before I learned how to cut my hair, every time I went to my stylist, I felt like I was completely giving up rights to my own hair for an hour. Now I cut off exactly as much as I want to, and all it cost me was the price of a pair of good scissors...

Aredhel77
December 31st, 2010, 07:24 AM

Me too, in-between 6 monthly salon visits. Although quite honestly as I'm aiming for all one length eventually (a few layers to grow out), I hope to ditch the salon trips eventually :) and just self-trim when necessary

myria
December 31st, 2010, 08:01 AM
DieSushiBitch is known as Emichiee around here :)
Thanks, I knew she was a member but I couldn't remember the name she uses on here. :D Credit to her, I would never have tried it without her vid.