PDA

View Full Version : Hemline or perimeter?

Aliped
December 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I was talking to a hairdresser recently (in a salon, whilst getting my bangs trimmed (it’s free). I mentioned that I was growing my hair, but some time in the future I’d like to get the ends trimmed to get a blunt hemline. She then started talking about the “perimeter” and how I “could do that”. From her tone of voice, I got a strong impression that she was being condescending to me and made a mental note to only return for the free bang trims and nothing else. Is the “perimeter” the same as the hemline? Has anybody else heard of this terminology before? I’d like to start maintaining my length at tailbone. We all talk about “hem lines”, so why don’t hairdressers?

spidermom
December 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I've heard it called the perimeter before. In fact, I've never heard the term "hem" except here. Whatever term the hair stylist prefers is what I use when I talk to them because I want to communicate. With my current stylist, I say "the very bottom of the longest hairs."

WaitingSoLong
December 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I've never heard the term perimeter and never heard of hemline until LHC. It was always just "blunt cut" or "v-cut" and there was no term for the bottom of one's hair. Permiter to me would be more like the halo? weird term.

HairColoredHair
December 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Perimeter, to me, would imply a shape of the overall hair (top, sides, middle, hem) whilst the hemline is only the ends.
So people who get long bangs, feather, etc, are shaping the perimeter (and possibly the hem too.)

luxepiggy
December 30th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I always just called it "the ends" until LHC (^(oo)^)v

jaine
December 30th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I always just called it "the ends" until LHC (^(oo)^)v

Me too, hmm!!

Clarisse
December 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I have learned all my english hair terms on LHC, but I immediately understood ”hemline”. It’s a good word.

Night_Kitten
December 31st, 2010, 12:27 PM
I've never heard of the hemline being called a "perimeter", but maybe it's a new term that beauty schools satrted using not too long ago and haven't spread yet?
In any case - if you don't like that hairdresser's attitude for whatever reason, don't let her near your hair... A miscommunication with the hairdresser is an assured recipie for disaster...

ScarlettAdelle
December 31st, 2010, 12:39 PM
In school it was referred to as the "perimeter" because that's what it was called in the manual for passing the state exam and getting your license. To the best of my understanding, that word was chosen because in the state board haircut, you take aquarter to half inch of the perimeter of the hair all the way around the head to use as a guide.

I personally call it by whatever term my client uses, so that we're using the same terminology.

Before lhc, i'd only heard "hemline" used in sewing.