PDA

View Full Version : Intrigued by no combing

proo
December 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I stumbled upon Chrissywillow's experiment in not combing or brushing, simply smoothing with minimal fingercombing. She says she just about eliminated splits, that the hair naturally wants to clump together if left alone. She let it hang down mostly and apparently is really happy with her results.

Has anyone else had success with this?

rena
December 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I'm learning to fingercomb and smooth with just my hands more and it works for me if there's no brush or comb immediately handy (I havn't quite gotten to the point where I carry a mini brush and comb around the house...Yet!)

spidermom
December 30th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I lost both my combs for 2 weeks and did something like that. It was bad. I had knots to cut out.

milagro
December 30th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I've been struggling with finger-combing for a while in hope to avoid frizz and preserve wave/curl definition. I don't know either I don't do it right or I am addicted to combing but I finally dropped this idea and bought a super-wide tooth comb as a compromise. I just feel a mess if I don't comb.

LaurelSpring
December 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Sometimes I am too lazy to get up and get a comb and then I run my fingers through it and end up with a knotted mess. I just lost a little chunk of hair doing this and promised myself not to do it anymore.

pepperminttea
December 30th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I fingercomb very thoroughly before actually combing while detangling. I have tried it without the comb at friends' houses, and I too had knots to cut out when I came home, particularly in the nape. :( I do find I get a lot less damage since starting fingercombing pre-combing though.

eezepeeze
December 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Yikes! I've tried fingercombing before braiding or bunning and I always end up with HUGE knots. A wide tooth comb is my friend.

Alix
December 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I left my comb at school so I've just been fingercombing with conditioner in the shower. I've had no problems, but I have slick hair that isn't prone to tangle.

Pixna
December 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Finger-combing doesn't work well for me. I end up with MORE splits and knots. I far prefer combing with a wide-tooth comb than my fingers.

Juneii
December 30th, 2010, 12:21 PM
It depends on our hair texture I think. I can get away with finger combing but it takes too long because my hair is relatively thick, a fine toothed comb gets the tangles out faster.

girlthursday
December 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm very interested in low-to-no combing. I think it could work well with my hair.

Although I realize you're talking about minimal fingercombing, I thought you might find some interest in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62149) about fingercombing only.

Apparently some people have had a lot of success and some people's hair really hates it. It didn't seem like there was any pattern as to whether it would work based on hair type.

ratgirldjh
December 30th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I fingercomb very thoroughly before actually combing while detangling. I have tried it without the comb at friends' houses, and I too had knots to cut out when I came home, particularly in the nape. :( I do find I get a lot less damage since starting fingercombing pre-combing though.

This is pretty much exactly what happens to me if I don't comb at least once daily - usually before putting my hair in a sleep bun for bed.

A couple of times I have actually gone to bed without my sleep bun and then not combed my hair until the next night and I had very bad knots (almost mats) at the nape of my neck.

Makes me think that my hair would dread much easier these days - if I was into it.... hmmm... :eyebrows:

haibane
December 30th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I posted this in the finger combing thread already, but I gave up on even finger combing a few weeks ago. My hair is very much not tangle prone, so I don't really need it. I just smooth it down a bit without separating it.

1nuitblanche
December 30th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I finger-comb. Sometimes I'll pick up a BBB just before showering to distribute oils better. I often use a comb on the top front 4" or so to get a part after washing, but that's it. My hair is fairly fine and it doesn't seem to knot very much *knock on wood* so finger-combing has been all I've really needed since I was little.

Anywhere
December 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I finger comb or use a wide toothed comb when my hair is dry, but I don't like doing it if I've put gel or some sort of non-conditioner product in because THEN i get tangles if I comb. otherwise no combing / finger combing works alright for me.

Clarisse
December 30th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I left my hair alone and fingercombed at bit for 2 weeks this summer. My hair was one giant mat and I broke so many hairs trying to detangle afterwards. My boyfriend did pretty much the same for 2 years. Fingercombing was the only thing that kept his hair from dreading. First time I detangled his hair it was a conditioner-rich hell of hairsnapping. I think coarse, straight hairtypes are most suitable for fingercombing only, but honestly, I think it is best to either wear dreadlocks or detangle hair at least once a day.

heidihug
December 30th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Oh, dear. My hair would be one giant dreadlock within a week if I just fingercombed. Yikes! I can have it completely finger-combed in the morning after washing the night before, leave it down for a minute or two while I dress, then find that it's matted up again when I go to put it up.