PDA

View Full Version : French braid question

PrincessTieflin
December 30th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I want to start my twin french braids almost at the top of my head.. I want to get my bangs in there other wise they have to be blowfried or stick out everywhere

How to do it with out the lumpie bumpies? I always seem to get alot of lumps on the sides when doing a high braid like that..

Tips please??

spidermom
December 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
When my hair turns out kind of bumpy-looking, I take a comb and comb from the sides toward the braid in the same direction as the hair. It helps.

jesis
December 30th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I just start with a small square of my bangs and add hair from there. I don't get any bumps. Maybe you are pulling the hair strands too tight. Try using a looser grip when you do the french braid. It will still stick close to your head. At least in my experience!

PrincessTieflin
December 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Sipdermom. I never would have thought of that .. lol.. thanks :)

Jesis. I am sure I pull it to tight.. My braids always seem uber tight.. lets see if I can train my hands to be more gentle :)

Also do yall know since my hair is on the thinner side should I be taking small sections or big? I always take small perhaps that is the problem?

jesis
December 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I also have pretty thin hair. My sections aren't too big but they aren't too small either. I add more hair as I go, too. With my bangs I start with small sections, then by the time I get to the back it's a medium size section.

spidermom
December 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
For some reason, it helps me to think of folding each strand into place. I used to pull too tight, but it gave me headaches, so I had to modify my braiding technique.

eezepeeze
December 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Well, I don't know if it's because your hair is thin. Mine is thick and I, too, am cursed by the lumpie-bumps!! I always thought it was rogue curls sticking up through the top layer. I do what spidermom does, wtih the comb. Also, I saw a tip once (yt?) that to smooth the bump, take a rat tail comb (the tail part) and insert it in the hair, but over the bump and run back and forth a little bit. It works! For some reason, it seems to redistribute the bump under the other hair.

jesis
December 30th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I just did a quick twin french braid for you to show you how big my pieces are. I only went a little over 3/4 of the way down because I'm going to bun the rest later. Are you new to french braiding? I know when I first started it was hard and I did what spidermom said, and just used a comb to comb the bumps back. But it's second nature to me (I've been doing it for most of my life) and now I can do twin french braids in under 5 minutes! :D Also, because I have so many baby bangs, to avoid using hairspray I will sometimes just use a headband.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2011-12-30at12403.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2011-12-30at12404.jpg

I just used the part that I have been wearing all day. Excuse the greasiness of my hair, I haven't washed it in a LONG while. :)

ETA: I used a side part, that's why one side is bigger than the other. Just FYI :)

PrincessTieflin
December 30th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the pics :) It looks really great..I have been braiding my hair for as long as I can remeber, aside from the 10 years or so I had short hair.. but I have always started my braids at the back of my head. But since I want my bangs to grow some (not all out just long enough to tuck behind my ears) I need a way to control them :)

as soon as it drys im gonna try braiding again with the tips yall have given me :)