PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable place to buy Amish pins from?

LoversLullaby
December 30th, 2010, 10:50 AM
When I get a few more extra dollars I'm thinking of purchasing some Amish hair pins. I was wondering where the most reliable online place to buy these were, with a reasonable price and a rather large pack. I don't live near any Amish communities so online is my only option.
Thanks so much! :)

JulietCapulet
December 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
This artist is the best! She is sold out right now but I'm sure more will come soon. http://www.etsy.com/shop/RavensLair

Kaijah
December 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Plain-n-Simple (http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?category=27). I like the crinkly ones. I've also heard a lot of good things about Bunhead pins, but have never tried them.

Juneii
December 30th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Seconding the plain-n-simple amish pins, I got the crinkly ones and they work wonderfully! I can't wear them to sleep because I toss and turn and they make their way out but going about my day it holds up very well

ravenreed
December 31st, 2010, 01:40 AM
I am thirding Plain-and-Simple. I have ordered from them twice. I have the straight and the crinkles and I much prefer the crinkles.

CrisDee
December 31st, 2010, 08:23 AM
If you want to try them out without having to pay shipping, you might try a local shop that specializes in dance accessories, particularly for ballet - many people have found shops like that in their area that carry the Bunhead pins, they were developed for ballet dancers that must have their hair stay put for an entire show. Good luck! :flower:

Dani
December 31st, 2010, 09:01 AM
I am thirding Plain-and-Simple. I have ordered from them twice. I have the straight and the crinkles and I much prefer the crinkles.

4th! I haven't had my pins for years (gave them away long ago when my hair was shorter; should've kept them! But I'm ruthless about giving stuff I don't need away :p). It was easy to order and my pins got to me quickly. I will most definitely order from them again soon. :) I only ordered from them because that's where everyone on LHC was getting theirs from. :p

hairconvictions
October 12th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Those of you who have ordered from Plain and Simple, was the shipping outrageous?
I have two sets ordered (one of each size) for a total of 6.50 and the shipping is 22.00.

Whaaaaat? That can't be right, can it?

Gabriel
October 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I ordered this set of four different sizes (http://www.etsy.com/listing/109853194/amish-steel-heavy-dutyhair-pins-4-packs?ref=shop_home_active) from MennoniteMaidens' Etsy Shop a couple of weeks ago.

Tootsie
October 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Check out MonnoniteMaidens on Etsy. Their shipping isn't that high. That's where I get mine. They actually have a website too that, if I remember correctly, has shipping cheaper than their etsy shop.

Kaelee
October 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I got mine from Mennonite Maidens on Etsy. :)

melusine963
October 12th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I ordered this set of four different sizes (http://www.etsy.com/listing/109853194/amish-steel-heavy-dutyhair-pins-4-packs?ref=shop_home_active) from MennoniteMaidens' Etsy Shop a couple of weeks ago.

Thank you for the heads up! I've had my eye on some Amish pins for a while, but I never knew where to get them from at a reasonable price.

jeanniet
October 12th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I got mine at MennoniteMaidens (their ebay shop), but the real Amish pins were never strong enough for my hair. I ended up with pins from Quattro on Etsy. They are expensive, but absolute tops in quality. BTW, I'm pretty sure Ravenreed swiped the idea and photo layout from Quattro, since that's been her MO on many of her items, but in any case, Quattro's quality is far superior. I know; I've bought from both, and there is no comparison.

Kaelee
October 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I got mine at MennoniteMaidens (their ebay shop), but the real Amish pins were never strong enough for my hair. I ended up with pins from Quattro on Etsy. They are expensive, but absolute tops in quality. BTW, I'm pretty sure Ravenreed swiped the idea and photo layout from Quattro, since that's been her MO on many of her items, but in any case, Quattro's quality is far superior. I know; I've bought from both, and there is no comparison.

Do you mean Raven's Lair? Ravenreed is a member here, I'm pretty sure she's not an Etsy seller. :flower:

jeanniet
October 12th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Do you mean Raven's Lair? Ravenreed is a member here, I'm pretty sure she's not an Etsy seller. :flower:

Oh, for cripe's sake. Thanks for catching that, Kaelee! Of course I didn't mean our Ravenreed--that was a total slip of my tired brain. I did mean Raven's Lair.

Wildcat Diva
October 12th, 2013, 11:20 PM
I liked the packs of Amish pins from Mennonite Maidens on Etsy. I have two sets of thicker pins/ forks from Ravenslair that I got from a swap, they are very fine. However the packs of Amish pins from Mennonite Maidens were many more pins for the price.

TiaKitty
October 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I lucked out and found them at my local Amish store! I'm so happy to have a set of 12!!! They are amazing. They were only $1.89!!! :bounce:

I really want some of the crinkled ones, though, and I cannot afford to pay $3-something plus shipping for them, though...

The next time I'm in their store, I may ask them if they'd special order the crinklies for me.

So, if you have an Amish store near your place, check it out. Sometimes they get called bulk food stores...

curlsgalore
October 13th, 2013, 01:54 PM

I can't remember where I purchased mine. I have the straight and crinkled. I don't use them very often but probably need to. I really want to try the Quattro ones. I almost purchased them with his weekend sale...:/
I do love my Quattro mini helix flexpins however :D.

emilia1992
October 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I buy mine from the local dancewear shop (they're made by Bunheads). They're around £6 to £7 in the UK, but they are crinkled as well as angled, and they keep my hair in a neat bun all the way through a ballet class, so long as I also use a net :)

There are probably cheaper ones available, though!