PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever leave buns in for more than one day?

shikara
December 29th, 2010, 05:30 PM
The title pretty much speaks for itself. I am wondiering if, for protective reasons and handling your hair less, if you ever or often leave a bun in place for two or more days.

spidermom
December 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I probably would, but my hair is slippy-slidey, and buns don't stay put. They twist and sag and pull.

pepperminttea
December 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
If I could do one that would remain comfortable for two days, yes. Braids are the only things I have luck with past the one day mark - a folded French braid stays quite happily.

jesis
December 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I put my hair into two french braids and sleep on it and then put the braids into a bun the next morning before work. Sometimes I do this for 2-3 days or until my head starts to hurt.

Aliped
December 29th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I definitely would, if I could sleep in one, but there's no way I'm sleeping in a hair stick or fork (I have managed quick naps though).

Rennire
December 29th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Yes, I do this sometimes. A tight neat bun on day one becomes a looser messy bun on day two. Sometimes I have to add a new pin or two but it works for me.

christine1989
December 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Mine is still a bit short to do a solid bun that will stay put overnight but its not a bad idea for protecting the ends. Maybe when it is long enough I will start leaving buns in.

Anywhere
December 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
well.. kind of. When I sleep i take out my hairtoy and place it on my night table, since I'm already laying down it doesnt unravel. then I sleep and if it's still decent in the morning I stick the toy back in. Otherwise I re-do it.

eezepeeze
December 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Oh, yes, I do. All the time. Sometimes I am just too lazy to take down my bun at night, so I sleep in it and wear it the next day, too. Just smooth down the fuzzies with a fine tooth comb.

I don't use sticks or forks for my buns, so that's not a problem. Sometimes a pin will poke me, but I just readjust it. I use Amish hair pins and GoodHairDays hairpins mostly.

I do mostly braided buns or rose buns. those hold like a rock even through the night.

enfys
December 29th, 2010, 06:20 PM
No chance. My nape mats very easily and if I don't brush it twice a day I will struggle with it the next day. Also, my unbrushed morning hair is a horrible, horrible sight.

Even when I'm ill (or have a sprained thumb like I do currently...) I still have to find a way to brush and restyle my hair.

CourtneyBee
December 29th, 2010, 06:21 PM
As an almost exclusive bun-wearer I wear the same bun from wash day to wash day typically. The best advice I can offer however, is to take down and comb the bun every night before twisting it back up because there is nothing worse than taking your pins out to find the bun has turned into a giant bun shaped knot. YIKES

cataphract
December 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
i probably would if my hair would stay. It's not long enough to 'lock' into a bun and probably won't be until waist or near. I do leave french braids with the ends tucked in for more than a day depending on how damp it was when I did it. The more wet it was the better it holds.

Pierre
December 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I do it all the time. It may not be exactly a bun (right now I have my hair in two braids, looped around to form earmuffs, and held by Flexis) but I wear my hair up to bed, in the same updo I wore that day, and keep it up the next.

Jessica Trapp
December 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM
yes.

:couch:

uwsbottleblonde
December 29th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Yep. It's actually my default hairstyle :)

MissManda
December 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I don't think I'd ever be able to wear buns for more than one day, but I've definitely done it with braids. I've left my hair braided for two or three days before when I don't have anywhere important to go and my hair can afford to get a little messy.

Olyve
December 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I enjoy the little bun I am able to achieve so it stays for up to 2-3 days. :)

Magdalene
December 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yes, usually if I've been sick. I don't recommend it- mine loosens while I sleep and needs to be combed out so it doesn't knot up.

Madora
December 29th, 2010, 08:59 PM
No. I want to exercise my hair every day by brushing my 100 strokes and giving it a through combing as well.

I do wear it in a braided bun..but redo the bun every day.

jesis
December 29th, 2010, 09:12 PM
No. I want to exercise my hair every day by brushing my 100 strokes and giving it a through combing as well.

I do wear it in a braided bun..but redo the bun every day.

Question:
Is brushing bad for the hair? I love brushing/combing my hair, I think it feels so good! I would do it every day if I could. I just don't want to risk any damage.

Nastasia
December 29th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Nope. I only ever do buns with hairsticks or forks, and there's no way I can sleep with those in. I have on occasion managed to nap without taking my hair down, but it's awkward. I'm also something of a neat freak about my hair, so I don't even wear braids for more than one day. They just get too messy for my liking. I can wear a second-day braid around the house, but not if I'm going anywhere else.

kyraninse
December 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I can't...my hair slips and slides out of buns so that I need to stop and re-bun once a day at least and otherwise even if it didn't slide, I can't sleep on anything. Don't use pillows :).

Carrie Ingalls
December 29th, 2010, 10:15 PM
If the question is if I wear the same style multiple days in a row, held with the same kind of hair toy (though possible combing it out periodically) the answer is yes. If however, the question is if I leave my hair up for more than one day without taking it down to comb out or change hair toys (I think this is the real question), the answer is still yes.

I frequently wear my hair up in the same do, without taking it down for multiple days. I sleep with my hair up, typically held with a 60th St. 4 prong fork and a single bunheads hair pin. The do stays most successfully when it is put up when still quite damp. If needed I may wear a headband to control wisps of hair too short to reach the updo. Occasionally I can get away with not redoing the bun if my hair is oiled. Exactlly how presentable I need to be can play a large factor in wether or not I bother to redo my hair.

Mírien
December 30th, 2010, 01:06 AM
No, I simply cannot leave buns in as I use hairsticks and it is impossible to sleep with them. :p Moreover, I like to comb my hair each day to prevent extra tangles. However, if I have a braid (especially french which holds better) I may keep it for about a day or a little more. It depends on whether I have to go out or not: on a second day it looks quite messy. :rolleyes:

ravenreed
December 30th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I can't sleep in a bun, it gives me a crick in my neck or if I wear it high, pulls too much on the scalp. I have a hard enough time sleeping in a braid. The next day, my braid is so fuzzy, as is the rest of my hair, that I have to take it out and start over.

Carrie Ingalls
December 31st, 2010, 01:52 PM
I just thought I would update here to say that I combed my hair out, oiled it and put it up on Wednesday and put on a Buff (folded in half and worn as a really wide headband), I didn't do anything with it yesterday (except readjust the buff to control those too short flyaways), and I am still wearing it today. In fact it feels like I could wear it for longer, but I am going to take it down to wash either later tonight or tomorrow morning.