PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my wild ends?

Yasmine91
December 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Very odd what my hair likes to do, the ends of my hair flick up and outwards, making my hair look shorter than it does :P

The top of my hair straight and very smooth, however it gradually gets wavy then flicks out at the end and the texture is more course than the top. Why does this happen? is it not enough moisture? I usually concentrate with a lot of oil on the ends when I do my weekly sessions and I concentrate on the scalp too. But no matter hpow much I deep oil or condition the ends, they're still not as soft :/

Right now I have coated my hair thickly and entirely with Vatika Coconut oil and castor oil. I'm gonna see how that helps but it won't be as effective because it's TOTM for me :o

Also, what are the benifits of micro trims? and how often do you do them? I have not trimmed or cut my hair since july 6th and I'm not too sure if I need to. Here's a picture of my hair how it last was 1 week ago. I was due to wash it:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=482744118921&set=a.428302528921.225032.559698921

kristymarie87
December 29th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Mine are like yours.....i told my self its just the awkward stage - between SL and BSL. I've still got the flicks and have done since about 9 months ago. Gradually as my layers are growing out and my hair is thickening the flicks are calming down. I have no idea why it does it, could be damage, or lack of moisture but i condition etc and it makes no difference!

I havent found a way to get rid of this so will be wathcing this thread!

Sanyia
December 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I had this until APL, then it went away. I think it's the curve of your back that pushes the hair up. Once the hair hangs free, it will go away.

torrilin
December 29th, 2010, 02:26 PM
It's called having curly hair. You will lose length to curl, and depending on your hair you may never have hair that gets straightened out from how long it is. In your position, I'd work on accepting your hair for what it is, and seeing how much you can improve the condition. It might well get curlier yet if the condition is better, which would be kind of awesome :).

tinywife
December 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm growing out dye, and for a long time my hair was coarser where the non-virgin parts began. The ends, especially, were very rough. I think it's because damage makes the cuticle stand out instead of laying flat, so it feels rougher and looks less shiny. I've finally gotten the ends almost as soft as the roots by keeping it very, very moisturized and using only cold water on my hair.

It took me a long time to find the perfect moisture recipe. You may have to shop around a bit before you find one that really works for you. I CO with SMT and use honey and shea butter as a leave-in.

sweetm
December 29th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I have the same problem and don't know why it happens. From my scalp to the tops of my shoulders, the hair is straight... anything below the shoulders does a strange flippy thing. It's frustrating.

Yasmine91
December 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Mine are like yours.....i told my self its just the awkward stage - between SL and BSL. I've still got the flicks and have done since about 9 months ago. Gradually as my layers are growing out and my hair is thickening the flicks are calming down. I have no idea why it does it, could be damage, or lack of moisture but i condition etc and it makes no difference!

I havent found a way to get rid of this so will be wathcing this thread!

LOL damn, it rlly is annoying though, the wavyness of my hair is bad enough on making my hair appear shorter than it is.

I'll be sure to let you know if whatever I try helps it XD

I had this until APL, then it went away. I think it's the curve of your back that pushes the hair up. Once the hair hangs free, it will go away.

Hmm could be, I always thought it was becase I bun my hair when I sleep :P

It's called having curly hair. You will lose length to curl, and depending on your hair you may never have hair that gets straightened out from how long it is. In your position, I'd work on accepting your hair for what it is, and seeing how much you can improve the condition. It might well get curlier yet if the condition is better, which would be kind of awesome :).

LOL I don't have curly hair, I'm really glad I don't, my hair would look shorter :p.

I do love that I have wavy hair I'm just annoyed at the short appearance it gives :P funny thing is, when I get it conditioned to the max, it turns out much more straight, but the ends still flick and the 'S' like wave is stretched out. But that's my hair on a good day :P

I'm growing out dye, and for a long time my hair was coarser where the non-virgin parts began. The ends, especially, were very rough. I think it's because damage makes the cuticle stand out instead of laying flat, so it feels rougher and looks less shiny. I've finally gotten the ends almost as soft as the roots by keeping it very, very moisturized and using only cold water on my hair.

It took me a long time to find the perfect moisture recipe. You may have to shop around a bit before you find one that really works for you. I CO with SMT and use honey and shea butter as a leave-in.

Eeeek!! cold showers!!! LOL dunno if I could do that. I heard hot water does open up your scalp's pours or roots or something like that :P I focus oiling their but it's still not as soft. But I have to say it is a lot better than what it used to be. They used to feel like strips of beef jerky :mad:

I wanted to try the CO method but I can't stand the thought of not using shampoo, I'm scared my hair will stay oily O.o

McFearless
December 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM
I don't think the flicks have to do with damage so don't worry. They might dissapear or change as your hair gets longer. As for the dry ends I have the same problem. Have you tried a few drops of olive oil on damp hair? Oil on dry hair makes my ends crunchy unless I'm doing a DT followed by shampoo.

Masara
December 30th, 2010, 12:41 AM
My hair does that too. It was worse from shoulder to APL, but now I'm at tailbone, the ends still flick out. The only way I have found to have smooth ends that don't flick outwards is to curl them under with a hairdryer. And even that doesn't last a day before my hair's natural texture breaks through.
My hair can be straight almost to the ends or start waving from my neck down depending on what I've done with it (and just basically, what it feels like doing) But the ends always curl. That's just how my hair type works. I think your hairtype is very similar.

When I first started growing, my main complaint was that whatever I did to them, my ends were rough and crunchy. It turned out that what they really needed was clarifying. I didn't think I needed to because I was cone free but I get bad mineral build up from the hard water here. Once I clarified they were much better. Other things that helped were regular SMTs and using coconut oil as a prewash treatment.