PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about mixing these shampoos....

shikara
December 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM
I've been doing a lot of research here on LHC and elsewhere about protein vs moisture needs, and methods to test what your hair might benefit from. I have some Mill Creek Keratin Shampoo (protein, obviously) and was considering mixing a small bit of that with my regular Dove Volume Boost to add that smidgeon of protein, followed by my moisturizing conditioner - just for one wash to see if there is any improvement. Do you have any knowledge or experience about mixing shampoos? I know I could just wash with the protein poo alone followed by a deep moisturizing, but am curious about the mixing.

nytquill
December 28th, 2010, 10:42 PM
The only way to really know is to try :)

Only thing I can think is if the protein is kind of a "marginal" ingredient in the protein shampoo (in other words there's not a lot of it), using just a little of it may not give you enough protein to really know if it had an effect. Also if the protein in it doesn't say "hydrolized" then the molecules are too big to really be absorbed by the hair.

On the other hand if it's a fairly intense protein treatment shampoo mixing might be just the ticket to keep from overdoing it.

You could also try, of all things, soy sauce as a protein treatment. Soy sauce contains hydrolized soy protein. It does smell a little funny but you wash afterwards! I did that once and I used a "hydrolized keratin" condish a couple times, enough to determine that my hair doesn't really give a flip about protein.

It's worth it to experiment a little!

may1em
December 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Go for it! Mixing shampoos is practically traditional here.

Nytquill - how does the soy sauce work with lighter hair? I'd be worried it would discolor it.