PDA

View Full Version : Chemical coloring questions

Nenwing
December 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I have never chemically colored my hair (or hennaed either!) but since I keep seeing white hairs popping up and I am not sure I want to be white before 35, is there a way to do chemical coloring correctly? I know absolutely nothing about it.

I see all the box dyes in the store aisle, is one brand better than another? Is there certain determining factors as to how much it will damage the hair, as in too much of this or that ingredient = super damage?

Does chemical dye (of any kind) guarantee split ends/crunchy ends/fried dry look, or is it possible to have very healthy looking hair even with it being dyed?

How does one keep their hair looking nice while dyed?

Capriquarius
December 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Well, I wish I could tell you there is a magical chemical dye that won't at least partially damage your hair. Unfortunately, that's not true IME. I do know it's possible to have dyed hair that still looks nice, with some extra TLC. I have gone back and forth for years with chemical dyes and henna/indigo/cassia with no troubles. My hair is a little drier for it but I use coconut oil and avoid heat styling which helps immensely.

Some things you might want to consider:

-How much gray do you want to cover? If it's a lot you may need a permanent dye, which can be harsher on the hair.
-Are you willing to do regular root upkeep?
-Are you opposed to using 'cones (which you may very well need after chemical dye to smooth the cuticle/protect hair)?

I really like Clairol Natural Instincts for a natural-looking color boost and gray blending. It is a semi-permanent box dye but sticks pretty well with minimal damage. Again, that's been my personal experience, but on virgin hair there is always the possibility of experiencing dye resistance/rapid fading. My hair is probably so porous that it sticks really well! As for aftercare, stretching out time between washes & conditioning with a product made for color-treated hair helps keep my hair nice.

I should note that my hair is nearly indestructible and does not get splits, so YMMV of course.

Have you considered natural/herbal coloring? If you do decide to go chemical my best advice is to stick within 1-2 shades of your current color and when in doubt, pick the lighter shade! :)

Capriquarius
December 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry to post twice in a row, but to answer your other questions:

-I would avoid super-cheap brands of haircolor like ColorSilk. IME they are cheap for a reason, and use older technology which has since been improved upon.
-L'Oreal Feria is very harsh, I don't recommend it at all.

-Any permanent dye is going to be more damaging but not necessarily bad. Good things to look for are "low ammonia and peroxide" on labels, and as long as you are only depositing color to cover gray and not lightening your hair (which will be more damaging due to bleach) you should be okay. ;)

kwaniesiam
December 29th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have never chemically colored my hair (or hennaed either!) but since I keep seeing white hairs popping up and I am not sure I want to be white before 35, is there a way to do chemical coloring correctly? I know absolutely nothing about it.

I see all the box dyes in the store aisle, is one brand better than another? Is there certain determining factors as to how much it will damage the hair, as in too much of this or that ingredient = super damage?

Does chemical dye (of any kind) guarantee split ends/crunchy ends/fried dry look, or is it possible to have very healthy looking hair even with it being dyed?

How does one keep their hair looking nice while dyed?

Avoid box dyes. They are almost always overly harsh on your hair and contain 30-40 vol. developer when you only need 10.

If you just want to blend gray and are new to coloring your hair I would suggest you get a demi-permanent color from Sally's and the appropriate developer to use. If you are coloring to match your natural color, you can check out the swatches they have there. Read the instructions and follow them accordingly. I like Clairol, never cared for Ion but some people like it. Wella Color Charm is decent too.

A demi color is less damaging but will fade over time, it will blend your grays in and keep the rest of your hair healthier than if you were using a permanent color.

Dolly
December 30th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I loved Clairol dyes! I would probably still be using them had I not had a HORRID experience with a L'Oreal Preference color, thus having to cut off about 8+ inches in a year.......thus why I am now a henna head, trying to rehab my hair!

Clairol has tons of shades, and if you go to Sally's, you can buy the 10 vol developer and color separately.....I would also recommend a demi, because there is not normally a line of demarcation where the roots grow out......and less damage!

Vorvolaka
December 30th, 2010, 05:29 AM
I like Garnier Herbashine, which is semi-permanent. I've also had rubbish experiences with L'Oreal, so avoid that one!

virgo75
December 30th, 2010, 06:01 AM
2nd(3rd?) Clairol Natural Instincts semi-permanent dyes.

They cover gray well to be semi-permanent and they always made my hair feel better after the color than before! (not the case for any other dye)

The only thing I would suggest would be to get a shade that is slightly lighter than your natural shade. Sometimes they can run a little dark and it's easier to go darker if you don't like it than to go lighter. Since it's semi-permanent it won't really lighten your hair the same way permanent dyes do with a higher developer.

Hope that helps. :flower:

LaurieKeren
December 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM
If you are only just now seeing those white hairs, you certainly won't be white at 35!

I started seeing a gray hair here and there when I was about 21or 22. By 35, I felt like I had a somewhat noticeable amount of gray in my front bangs, and it was at that time that my close friends/family members began to comment on it occasionally. I'm still nowhere near being even 90% gray, even though I have a very obvious amount of gray in my bangs. But, since it is in my bangs, it is more noticeable.

Of course, it is your decision whether you want to color or not. I just thought I'd let you know that you are still quite a ways away from being noticeably gray!

LaurieKeren
December 30th, 2010, 08:22 AM
If you are only just now seeing those white hairs, you certainly won't be white at 35!

I started seeing a gray hair here and there when I was about 21or 22. By 35, I felt like I had a somewhat noticeable amount of gray in my front bangs, and it was at that time that my close friends/family members began to comment on it occasionally. I'm still nowhere near being even 90% gray, even though I have a very obvious amount of gray in my bangs. But, since it is in my bangs, it is more noticeable.

Of course, it is your decision whether you want to color or not. I just thought I'd let you know that you are still quite a ways away from being noticeably gray!
After I wrote this post, I went to the store to get milk, and I realized that I said the wrong thing! I meant that I am nowhere near 10% gray, lol!! I am still over 90% brown. Sigh. It got my ratios backwards. DOH!

Montage
December 30th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I think you should use a semi-permanent, as they're strong enough to last a fair while (usually longer than what it says on the box) but are fairly gentle on your hair. You probably won't notice a difference in the condition if you do a semi-permanent.

There isn't much difference (really) between brands in terms of damage caused, because the main factor is the amount of peroxide and ammonia in the dye. Semi-permanents all have relatively little peroxide and no ammonia, therefore they will all have a similar effect on the hair in terms of damage.

Nenwing
December 31st, 2010, 02:08 PM
Ah dang I had a reply posted, but must be the internet ate it or something.

So, a good bet is semi/demi coloring. Does semi = demi? Does one last longer than the other?

Also, what is a vol developer? Is 10 the lowest you can get?

Lol, LaurieKeren thanks for the reassurance! ;)