PDA

View Full Version : bleached my hair..

XJawbreaker
December 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM
and I LOVE IT!!
I got partial highlights and like blonde streaks in my bangs.
I felt very adventurous one day and I had to do it!!
I've needed a change for so long!
I really feel like I want it MORE blonde though, BUT 1.) I'm not quite used to taking care of the new color/texture. and 2.) I really don't want to damage my hair so much that it will start splitting and breaking more than it already is. Especially my longest layers. I swear they break at the sight of shampoo or anything too harsh!

Does anyone have any advice for bleached hair care?
It feels different when I wash/condish it now. It feels dry and plastic-y. Is there a way to make it more like my natural hair? Or is that just how it feels when it's bleached?

Thanks a bunch <3

DTsgirl
December 28th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have recently taken my hair from dyed DARK auburn to strawberry blonde-ish. I used a color remover for the first step and that didn't do any immediate damage that I could see or feel, and took out most of the color. A month later, I took one box of Herbal Essences Gel Xtreme Bleach and finger combed it through my iii almost hip length hair from roughly ears down. I want to do that one more time and I will be exactly where I want to be color-wise.
The bleach dried my hair a fair amount. I have not seen an increase in splits, although I will confess I do have a lot of them. But, they're maintaining, not increasing. So, ok. The dry feeling I got rid of by oiling my hair with coconut oil until it was lank and very shiny and then braiding for two days (re-done when it got frizzy, of course). The hair absorbed almost all the oil and the dryness is gone. I am also using Garnier Triple Nutrition shampoo and conditioner for dry or damaged hair and that is wonderful too. I use the conditioner as a deep treatment by leaving it on under plastic wrap for a few hours and that is wonderful.
I know there is no way to escape all the damage of coloring / altering my hair's natural state, but I feel that since I use no heat on my hair, never comb or brush when wet, I braid for sleep and very rarely leave it down, I am allowed the indulgence of coloring. I understand this may slow my growth rate and increase my need for trims, but in order to be happy with my hair, I need the color to appeal to me, as well as the length. If that means I get 3 inches a year instead of 6, so be it.
So tangent aside, I highly encourage a moderatly heavy coconut oilingfor as long as you can stand to leave it on, and a nourishing, gentle shampoo / conditioner of your choice. Perhaps give the newly discovered but very popular movie star shampoo a try, or throw in a few CO washes. I am doing the CO washes about every 3rd wash and I am planning to give the Movie Star shampoo a shot when I restock my coconut oil. Protective updos, minimal handling and stretching washes are always good, especially for hair that deserves pampering!
Hope this helps! Good luck!

Dragon
December 29th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I don't have any advise but I am glad you are happy with it :)

Fufu
December 29th, 2010, 02:14 AM
XJawbreaker: Congrats on the new hairstyle/color :) I bleached my hair years before and really it can damage the hair to quite a huge extent without a proper hair care routine. It took my about 2-3 years for my hair to return to its glorious time.

I'm still having creative hair colour now with ash brown base and red high and low lights.

My weekly hair care routine
- twice weekly hair mask treatment with loreal keratase reflection hair masque for coloured hair. I leave in between 10 minutes to 15 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water or cold water if you can take it.

- I apply hair serum on the lower bottom of my hair and areas that I felt was dry with Liese Hair serum

My daily hair care routine
- I will use Liese juicy shower hair mist to quench my hair before I step out of my house every day and during the mid day.

The days I don't wash my hair (I usually wash my hair every alternate days)
- I will apply liese hair serum on the lower bottom
- Before turning to bed I apply pantene night miracle leave on serum (This is good, my hair feels soft and tangle free the next day.)

Bleaching hair usually dries the hair alot, opt for shampoo and conditioner for chemically treated or coloured hair :)

XJawbreaker
December 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks a lot everyone! I guess I have a lot of experimenting to do. I just did a carmel treatment today and it made my hair a little better and A LOT less frizzy. I've been having a problem with frizz lately. But I started using Argan oil and that is making my hair more curly than usual. I don't know how to deal with curly hair. It's never been more than kind of wavy.

prosperina
December 29th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Lots of conditionner, deep treatments and a gentle shampoo.

Jemoiselle
December 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I don't color my hair now at all, but can say years before I found LHC I used to bleach my dark brown hair blonde monthly. Coconut oil has been my product of choice since LHC for a few years, and I think it would be most helpful to you! I would put it on thickly the night before a morning wash, braid overnight, and wash using CWC the next morn. I am so glad you like your new look, sounds fun!

XJawbreaker
December 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Does anyone know a good site I can get a little thing of coconut oil? I want to try it but I've only sound HUGE jars of it!!

Kristin
December 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I don't know where you can get small jars, but you can get tubs for about $10 at Whole Foods in the hair care section. You can also get it a bit cheaper in the cooking oils section.

triumphator!
December 30th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I ditto the moisture emphasis. Also, limiting hot tools can keep your hair's strength going.

Artsy
December 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I have had my light brown bleached to platinum for a few years before. I can agree that coconut oil is the best product to return the softness and shine. Also humectants were very helpful with frizz on the humid days.
I would stay away from some of the products designed for coloured hair as many condishs are too heavy and build up. Instead I would do an acid rinse after wash. My hair also likes chamomile tea rinses instead of a wash from time to time.

venus57
December 31st, 2010, 01:02 AM
you should get a protein treatment ( Paul Mitchell makes one, also Joico K-Pak etc. ) once a week and deep condition once a week (different days). Try not to blow dry and flat iron too much it will dry the hair further