PDA

View Full Version : BSL and beyond harder to protect??

jenjen10
December 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
So, as excited as I am to be at BSL I have found that I am finding some OMG split ends (you know the ones that look like they went through a shredder... not just a little white dot or bent end!). I am starting to feel like my ends are taking a beating and yet right now is when I am having a hard time getting it into an updo.

At what point did you start to see more damage on your hair? I have heard many people say they grew out to waist without really even trying to protect their hair but I don't think that will be the case for me.

GrowingGlory
December 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Between SL and APL I have found some splits and learned that I have to take better care of my hair. Fortunately, I have also learned how to do that well.

prosperina
December 28th, 2010, 07:11 PM
My impression from reading these boards for a while is that some people get more and more protective of their hair as it gets longer. Because they start seeing more damage or because they realize that if they want to get longer than BSL they might have to take things up a notch.

I see posts where people say they do this and that to their hair and it doesn't matter then I look and see that they have shoulder length hair. I wonder if they will be able to do the same with bsl or waist length or tail bone length hair. I don't know. Maybe yes. Maybe no.

That said, it may be time for a little trim. I like to just cut damage off and be done with it because I hate the way damaged ends feel.

triumphator!
December 28th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I see posts where people say they do this and that to their hair and it doesn't matter then I look and see that they have shoulder length hair. I wonder if they will be able to do the same with bsl or waist length or tail bone length hair. I don't know. Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Ouch. There goes any credibility I had at all on this board.

Juneii
December 28th, 2010, 08:29 PM
how many of these split ends are you finding? I know that when I take a closer look at my ends I can find quite a few, but overall I don't have so much damage that I can see it from far away and it doesn't really change the texture of the ends of my hair.
It's not too difficult to protect the hair, put your hair up in a bun and tuck the ends under so it is not exposed to the elements. It was rather difficult when I had APL to BSL hair because of the excessive amount of layers I had but I just wet it to keep the hair together and put it up and out of my mind.
Try not to obsess too much over it, it's not as bad as you think it is ^__^

torrilin
December 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Ouch. There goes any credibility I had at all on this board.

Well, you're also typing yourself as an M, so your individual hairs are a lot coarser than mine :D.

I have to be pretty fussy period, since my F hair will start showing splits and being damaged easily at chin length. Someone with stronger hair can be more aggressive with their handling and have no trouble for a lot longer. The handling that's problematic for me as a straightie is very different from the handling that's problematic for a 3c too.

Doesn't make my hair bad, or me into an unbelievable person. It means y'know... my hair is fine and straight.

DuckyDot
December 29th, 2010, 06:00 AM
I wonder what it will be for me! I guess my hair is pretty strong. I've never seen a split end. I've sat down to do some S+D but found no splits! I'll probably get damage at BSL/waist since that's where my ends were damaged before...

bunzfan
December 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I am just a little past BSL and i have found putting oil in my length and wearing it up 24/7 has stopped me getting split hairs have you tried oil on your ends? it really helps to strengthen them.

constantki
December 29th, 2010, 06:22 AM
My hair is fragile and gets damaged really easily. This wasn't the same when I had chin length hair. I started really noticing damage when it hit waist length. I wish I had protected it better when I was at apl+

Ishje
December 29th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I think a small trim once in a while really helps, I used to have my hair on shoulder length, but by the time it was BSL it was all scruffy.

also I think that if you want long hair, you must be able to live with a few split ends.
there will alway's be a few.

hanne jensen
December 29th, 2010, 08:27 AM
There will always be a few splits. Try a tiny amount of coconut oil crunched onto your ends. Wear protective updos. Try dusting every 6-8 weeks. Remember, fine hair is fragile-treat it accordingly. Believe me, I know. My hair is F minus!

Sunny_side_up
December 29th, 2010, 09:33 AM
like hanne jensen said. On my journey to BSL with nearly even ends, feel ive got to the stage where my hemline looks ok, and could happily go for some good growth, no splits but pampering my ends with coconut oil as i go, then a little dusting to keep my ends feeling nice :) Thats goin to be in a good few months though ;)

Anje
December 29th, 2010, 09:49 AM
There are a few things to consider...

1) The ends are always the oldest part of the hair, and the longer your hair, the older they are. So they've accumulated more wear and tear, no matter what.

2) BSL is roughly chair-back-length. Lots of people suddenly seem to get splits at this point, and I think rubbing against chairs is a major part of this.

For me, though, my hair has gotten easier to put up as it gets longer. Yes, some buns stop holding and new ones need to be learned, but on the whole, it seems like longer hair secures itself into updos more effectively than short hair.

Try Lazy Wrap buns, or their twisted cousins, Nautilus buns. It seems to be one of the few styles people can't grow out of, and makes a great fall-back bun when nothing seems to work with hair. If all else fails, braid and keep your braid over your shoulder, where you can make sure no harm befalls it.

AutobotsAttack
January 4th, 2016, 10:03 PM
There are a few things to consider...

1) The ends are always the oldest part of the hair, and the longer your hair, the older they are. So they've accumulated more wear and tear, no matter what.

2) BSL is roughly chair-back-length. Lots of people suddenly seem to get splits at this point, and I think rubbing against chairs is a major part of this.

For me, though, my hair has gotten easier to put up as it gets longer. Yes, some buns stop holding and new ones need to be learned, but on the whole, it seems like longer hair secures itself into updos more effectively than short hair.

Try Lazy Wrap buns, or their twisted cousins, Nautilus buns. It seems to be one of the few styles people can't grow out of, and makes a great fall-back bun when nothing seems to work with hair. If all else fails, braid and keep your braid over your shoulder, where you can make sure no harm befalls it.

I definitely agree with Anje. When my hair was at Neck Length or Shoulder Length, it was a struggle trying to secure them in any protective bun, which causes them to be too tight which lead to breakage and a sore hairline, or they wouldnt stay and would just frizz up and get tangled. Now that i'm pretty much at BSL, buns come as second nature to me, and while my hair gets longer, i get more and more protective of the length i get, because for 1) I have worked hard, and spent good money, and precious time on my hair in my hair care journey, and 2) well...no one wants to see their hard work go to waste. I find that it's more of an appreciation thing. And not so much as a "Well i can do such and such without getting damage". You know?