PDA

View Full Version : Seamless Wide Tooth Combs

JuneBride
December 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM
After researching a few brands and getting confused, I wanted your opinion on before I pressed the "BUY" button!

Which seamless wide tooth comb do you recommend and why?

Thank you :blossom:

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I use a Speert comb (#4 model). It has been awesome for me so far.

You can get one from their own website, but I got mine from UnCommonScents.com because I think it was maybe a tiny bit cheaper. Can't remember!

SilvraShadows
December 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I love my Creative Combs by Tenderheaded Accessories. I have the 8L and the 661. They are softer and flexible, feel good on my over sensitive scalp, handmade, seamless... and not expensive. I can use them for wet comb outs as well as when my hair is dry, I believe the material used is better than a wooden comb is for distributing natural oils all along the length.

I do have beautiful wooden combs as well, handcrafted and very smooth. Two are from ArtistTree (five years old now) and two are from Sierra Legacy (one is 23 years old and the other is six). I love these combs as well, but the Creative comb is so much more versatile.

rosek
December 28th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have the Mason Pearson Rake comb. I think its very similar to the 8L from Tenderheaded. I bought mine from Ebay, because there was free shipping to Australia. I find that the tines are very flexible, and its great for detangling wet or dry hair.

silverjen
December 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I really love my horn comb. It's kind to my hair, and the texture and warmth of horn is much more appealing to me than plastic. They're easy to find on EBay, or from heavenlyharvestinc.com.

Deborah
December 28th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I have a Madora, a wooden and a horn comb, and I like them in that order. (I actually never use the HH horn comb anymore, as I like the other two so much better.) My favorite, by far, is the Madora 'ivory' comb. It is smooth like butter, and just wonderful. (I actually have two of them since I like this comb so much!)

esmay
December 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I bought the wide tooth bakelite "bone" comb from hairsense.com. It's very smooth and it can be used for wet combing too. I liked my horn comb , but I was always worried about it getting wet...then I lost it, lol.

Kaya
December 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
They may not be fancy, but I love my Conair shower combs. I have three of them; one in the shower, one by the sink and one that I keep in my backpack. They are inexpensive, can be found at many stores, even grocery stores, and they are very gentle. Mind you, they are plastic, but it is a very smooth, and sturdy plastic and I have never snagged my hair on them. The seams are practically non-existant. Another plus, they have a curved handle, so it's very easy to hang them anywhere. :)

Madora
December 28th, 2010, 07:35 PM
My Madora faux tortoiseshell widetooth comb lasted more than 15 years. Great comb!

laughinglynxie
December 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I'm just starting out my long hair journey, so I just got what I could afford. I got the Jilbere shower comb from Sally Beauty and it seems to be working out fine for me. I hope to get a bone or horn comb soon. :)

And, I'm sure you know already, any wide-toothed seamless comb should work out fine!

myria
December 28th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'd recommend a body shop wooden comb.
It holds up well - I've had mine over a year and it's still in one piece, I had a horn comb before but it broke after a few months.
This one's still going strong even though I use it to detangle wet hair, comb through conditioner, and have dropped it several times onto a stone floor. Not bad for a £2.99 comb. :)

HairColoredHair
December 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I love my Heavenly Harvest Wide-Toothed Women's comb. I have two because I keep losing one.

Igor
December 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I recommend taking a piece of fine sandpaper to your comb no matter what you buy. Always. Just because it says “hair friendly” or “seam free” doesn’t mean it actually truly is.

eezepeeze
December 28th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I bought a supposedly seam free wooden comb at Sally's that just ripped my hair to shreds. I got so many splits from that comb.

I, too, prefer my shower combs that I got from Sally's. The plastic is VERY sturdy and the seams are small enough to be sanded off with an emery board. I didn't really need to sand them, but I did just to be safe. My hair is very fragile and splits like crazy, so I take every precaution.

However, my all-time favorite comb came with an at-home straightening kit I tried years ago. As far as I can tell, it is seamless, it is very flexible, has gently rounded ends with no nubbies. I love it and guard it carefully since I have never seen another like it. It's so gentle on my hair, which is ironic, since the at home kit was murder on my hair :p.

anthonyswife
December 28th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I picked up a wooden wide-toothed comb by Bass at Whole Foods for about $5. I really love it!

LoversLullaby
December 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
The only comb I use is the Body Shop wooden detangling comb. It works wonders in my hair! :cheese:

GoddesJourney
December 29th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Heavenly Harvest horn comb. Best thing ever. I've even given a couple as gifts. I don't oil mine or treat it well but it lives on. I've even dropped it. Check the reviews section of this site before buying anything.

Mírien
December 29th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I use a horn comb which I bought in a folklore shop... :p (it is made of the Hungarian gray cattle's horn :D). It is much better then my previous plastic comb which made my head into an enormous static ball... :(

bugeyedmonster2
July 1st, 2012, 07:00 PM
I have wooden combs from The Combmaker. Go to www.combmaker.com. The individual doing his website was having health issues, and so Rick has lost the old website with all the pictures of his combs. Emailing him or calling him is a better option.

I also have two horn combs from Heavenly Harvest. www.heavenlyharvest.com Great combs. Oil both wood and horn every month or so.

I gave my sister a wood comb from Rick and a horn comb from HH for her birthday. She also has long hair.

SongofLove
July 1st, 2012, 07:20 PM
My favorite seamless comb is the George Michael/Madora wide tooth--it's very smooth, sturdy and pretty. I ordered it from a salon in Ohio (it's at the bottom of the page): http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html

KittyPTY
July 1st, 2012, 07:54 PM
I bought mine from amazon not too long, but i still haven't received it yet. I wonder if its a good one... im praying for it to be good.

It's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007T1KPI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

i should had purchased a Madora one, well if this one isn't that good, i'll order a Madora white comb. =3....

Ill try to reward my hair for growing every time i reach a short term goa with a comb, hair toy etc., lol

jojo
July 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM
I'd recommend a body shop wooden comb.
It holds up well - I've had mine over a year and it's still in one piece, I had a horn comb before but it broke after a few months.
This one's still going strong even though I use it to detangle wet hair, comb through conditioner, and have dropped it several times onto a stone floor. Not bad for a £2.99 comb. :)

Had mine 5 years and love it

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM
I bought mine from amazon not too long, but i still haven't received it yet. I wonder if its a good one... im praying for it to be good.

It's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007T1KPI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

i should had purchased a Madora one, well if this one isn't that good, i'll order a Madora white comb. =3....

Ill try to reward my hair for growing every time i reach a short term goa with a comb, hair toy etc., lol
Creative combs are very nice quality, so I think you'll be happy with it.

sunflowers24
July 1st, 2012, 09:50 PM
Yep. I have the wooden comb from The Body Shop. Got it around 2008.

jeanniet
July 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM
I've been tempted to get the Madora comb to check it out, but the shipping from Enchantress is $9! So I think I'll just wait.

KittyPTY
July 3rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
Creative combs are very nice quality, so I think you'll be happy with it.

Oh i didn't knew they were nice, i just saw it as "seamless" and bought it without too much thought. Thank you i'll be expecting it.

:)

curlsgalore
October 19th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Just ordered a Madora comb (tortoise), the lady I spoke with recommended this instead of the ivory one..I also ordered the brush and a Bakelite detangler/volume comb from hairsense. I did order one more BBB as well :D
Now I will have quite the collection of combs and brushes.

Zindell
October 20th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I have a bunch of the Body Shops wooden detangling combs spread allover the house and one in my purse. Love'em! :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/the-body-shop-detangling-comb_zps633811c5.jpg

czech it out
October 20th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I'm definitely in the minority here, but I would caution against the Body Shop wooden comb. I got one a month or two ago, and it was not smooth or seamless between the prongs. It had a bunch of splinters and snags that I had to sand out, and the fine grade sandpaper wasn't so cheap! Not sure if this is a recent change with the Body Shop combs (I know they slightly changed their brushes recently as well), but if it worries you at all, I would suggest going with a different brand.

curlsgalore
October 20th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'm definitely in the minority here, but I would caution against the Body Shop wooden comb. I got one a month or two ago, and it was not smooth or seamless between the prongs. It had a bunch of splinters and snags that I had to sand out, and the fine grade sandpaper wasn't so cheap! Not sure if this is a recent change with the Body Shop combs (I know they slightly changed their brushes recently as well), but if it worries you at all, I would suggest going with a different brand.

That's a shame :( I have three body shop combs that are smooth and I love them.