PDA

View Full Version : Dry ends... deep conditioner?

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM
My ends are feeling especially dry the last couple of days. They feel crunchy and not pleasant at all. I think I need to try a leave in deep conditioning treatment. Going to the grocery store later tonight and figured I'd pop by the hair products or organic products aisle and see what I can find.

Any recommendations? My hair seems to be breaking quite easily and I'm finding lots of splits as I grow out a few inches of highlight damage from a year ago. Protein-free would be great. Unless I need it? I'm quite confused by the moisture vs protein threads I've seen! My hair seems to fall in most of each category! Thanks so much!

Madora
December 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Maybe you could check out the reviews here at LHC and see what others recommend.

The Aussie DEEEP conditioning product seemed to have several favorable reviews. I haven't used it myself but bought my first bottle to try after my GM product is finished.

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
If your hair is on the fine side it may benefit from protein but for the dry ends I would avoid protein which could make them drier. Coconut oil or castor oil is my old standby for dry, crunch ends. If I let a few drops of castor oil sit in my ends for about an hour then wash it out they feel so much better when they dry.

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
If your hair is on the fine side it may benefit from protein but for the dry ends I would avoid protein which could make them drier. Coconut oil or castor oil is my old standby for dry, crunch ends. If I let a few drops of castor oil sit in my ends for about an hour then wash it out they feel so much better when they dry.

Yes, I use coconut oil every day on my ends and length. At the moment though it's feeling more like a bandaid. It hides the problem but doesn't last really.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong or if it's just past damage. I CO and then CWC 2-3 times a week. A coney conditioner since my hair seems to like that. And on CWC days, an organic conditioner, an organic shampoo, and then my coney conditioner (otherwise it feels like crap).

Thank you though!

Igor
December 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I find that some light protein followed right after with a moisture treatment seems to help my hair bind more moisture than without, so that might be worth a try :shrug:

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Id clarify a few times and see if this changes anything, then id move onto Igor's suggestion of a protein treatment followed by a DC. If there's no change after doing this then maybe the lightest dusting of the ends will help. Its surprising but just taking the teeniest bit like ----> _ this much can make such a huge difference.

irishlady
December 28th, 2010, 04:30 PM
It differs from person to person, but I find that what works best for me is just a deep coconut oiling.
That natural company, Yes To Carrots has a deep conditioning mask I've been wanting to try, but I haven't used it myself yet so can't say what it's like...

ImperfectBrat
December 28th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Nothing to add but I will be watching this with interest as my ends are behaving the same way as the OP's.

Bast
December 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep helps my hair out, as does hot oil treatments with plain old olive oil.

Regular S+Ds, if you've the patience for them, will help slightly, but it may be that you are just going to have to get a trim. I actually had two inches of pure damage cut off last month and the number of splits found since then has been far, far lower than in previous months.

julliams
December 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Clarify first. Then do an SMT weekly. I find it takes time for my hair to absorb moisture.

cataphract
December 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I second the clarifying followed by moisture treatment.

Also, where my coconut oil falls short, I can olive oil my head up and leave it on for a few hours to fix it. I also like the castor oil, but find it difficult to get all the way out in one wash without conventional products (which then leave my hair sad again). When I do castor oil I plan on braiding the next day or so before really getting the rest out. My hair is happy for it though.

Macaroni
December 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
If you're near a Sally Beauty, I suggest L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Creme.

I slather this on a damp ponytail, braid it loosely and sleep on it. Then I shampoo only the roots and I'm done. Soft hair.

Of course, I self-trim my ends twice a year.

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks everybody! I bought some Suave Clarifying Shampoo (even though it has some cones... seems to have good reviews here) and also some Garnier Triple Nutrition 3 Minute Undo treatment. I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks!

SilvraShadows
December 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
I tried the Undo with great results! Loved it. Hope it helps you.

...and also I have used the Say Yes To Carrots hair balm, with good results, but I tired of the smell. I really liked it at first. And then there is Burt's Bees Hair Repair with Shea and Grapefruit, which is my favorite! It fixes things up very nicely for me. I use it as a pre-wash or a final deep conditioning treatment. This one I keep in my rotation.

Those would be my suggestions, but you already picked!

Darkhorse1
December 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I hear you--try olive oil instead of coconut oil--I did a review awhile back about oils and their different uses/how they help. Olive oil strengthens, coconut oil moisturizes--this is only according to the web, so I don't know how reliable that is. However, when my ends feel like straw, I grab the olive oil and then clarify after and I'm always happy with the results. I work outdoors/in the elements and my ends can get very straw like. This makes them soft and happy.

Best of luck! Try a bunch of different things and hopefully you'll find out what works for you---my hair loathes proteins and will feel worse if I use them, but I had to try out all sorts of things before I found what worked/didn't work for my hair.

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I tried the Undo with great results! Loved it. Hope it helps you.

...and also I have used the Say Yes To Carrots hair balm, with good results, but I tired of the smell. I really liked it at first. And then there is Burt's Bees Hair Repair with Shea and Grapefruit, which is my favorite! It fixes things up very nicely for me. I use it as a pre-wash or a final deep conditioning treatment. This one I keep in my rotation.

Those would be my suggestions, but you already picked!

Thanks for the suggestions! I use the Burt's Bees conditioner as my first conditioner when I CWC 2-3 times each week, and use their shampoo as well during it.

I hope I have good luck with the Undo, too... think I'll try it in a few moments. Just letting my chocolate chip muffins and ice cream settle.... :yumm:

Darkhorse1
December 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Oh wow--I found Burts Bees conditioner like using sand in my hair. I use Pantene and have found it very helpful, but of course, we all have different hair and needs. Best of luck and enjoy your food :)

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Oh wow--I found Burts Bees conditioner like using sand in my hair. I use Pantene and have found it very helpful, but of course, we all have different hair and needs. Best of luck and enjoy your food :)

I agree. The husband wanted a different conditioner though and I figure I'd get that and try it. I don't like it on its own. I CO with Pantene Beautiful Lengths... my hair likes cones. Burt's conditioner works fine for him, but not me alone, heh.

Darkhorse1
December 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hahaha---makes sense---like I said, I love trying new things, but it just didn't work for my cone loving hair.

Maybe give olive oil a try too--for me, I always oiled my length, then clarified and conditioned and my ends were silky soft--the first time in ages--I work with horses and the elements kill my hair. God bless LHC for helping me find alternate solutions to getting it softer without cutting. :)

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hahaha---makes sense---like I said, I love trying new things, but it just didn't work for my cone loving hair.

Maybe give olive oil a try too--for me, I always oiled my length, then clarified and conditioned and my ends were silky soft--the first time in ages--I work with horses and the elements kill my hair. God bless LHC for helping me find alternate solutions to getting it softer without cutting. :)

I may try EVOO tonight before I clarify then.... How long would you recommend leaving it in if I wanted to clarify tonight (I leave my coconut oil on overnight, so just wondering if if I should have EVOO on for a few hours before I hop in the shower tonight or what...)?

Also, when I use the 3 minute undo, would it be okay if I left it in a bit longer than that. Like got out of the shower with it on and wrapped it in a towel for half an hour before rinsing it out? Or will the 3 minutes be enough?

pennylane
December 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
It differs from person to person, but I find that what works best for me is just a deep coconut oiling.

I agree with that. :)

Coconut oil whatever way you choose to use it works well for almost all people.

Athena's Owl
December 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
if you're doing conditioner only washes with pantene then you probably need to clarify your hair before you can decide that your ends are crunchy for any reason other than buildup.

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 08:22 PM
if you're doing conditioner only washes with pantene then you probably need to clarify your hair before you can decide that your ends are crunchy for any reason other than buildup.

Just clarified! :) I'll see how it feels in a bit once it's completely dried.

catspank
December 28th, 2010, 08:37 PM
monsterna, I'm growing out damage too and my ends feel horrid after clarifying - extra dry and crunchy. Which isn't surprising, as clarifying basically cleanses your hair of everything. I would do a nice moisturizing treatment to follow up and then see how your hair feels. I like to do a heavy coconut oiling followed by a conditioner soak, my hair feels so nice afterwards :)

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 09:08 PM
monsterna, I'm growing out damage too and my ends feel horrid after clarifying - extra dry and crunchy. Which isn't surprising, as clarifying basically cleanses your hair of everything. I would do a nice moisturizing treatment to follow up and then see how your hair feels. I like to do a heavy coconut oiling followed by a conditioner soak, my hair feels so nice afterwards :)

Yep, right after I clarified, I used the Garnier Triple Nutrition 3 Minute Undo treatment. It feels reallllly nice right now. :) I will also oil in a bit once it dries completely. Thanks for the response!

Darkhorse1
December 28th, 2010, 09:14 PM
So sorry I had to leave this thread for a bit.

For me, I have pretty greasy hair/scalp. So, I just do the following:
Wet hair, take olive oil and slather on length. If I can, I'll try to let it sit for a minute or two, but I don't usually have that time. I then rinse, and do a double washing with Herbal Essence Degunkify shampoo--I find it milder than most clarifying shampoos. I then use pantene conditioner for color treated hair (I am finding the volumizing doesn't cause as much static as the shine enhancing), and then a cool rinse (for my scalp).

If I left oil on my hair, it would look horrendeous/stringy---even when I first oiled my ends, it was horrific! I had to wash it out 2 more times. If I find I do this but I plan on being outdoors the next day, i don't worry as much as I figure the oil will protect my hair.

I found Fructis products dried out my hair, so again, it's finding what your hair likes.

catspank
December 28th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Yep, right after I clarified, I used the Garnier Triple Nutrition 3 Minute Undo treatment. It feels reallllly nice right now. :) I will also oil in a bit once it dries completely. Thanks for the response!

Awesome :D :D :D

santie
December 28th, 2010, 09:49 PM
When my ends are feeling dryer than usual, I usually slather on some olive oil, leave it on for an hour or two, and then wash it out. I find it does the trick in giving my hair a healthy feeling boost!

little_cherry
December 28th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Id clarify a few times and see if this changes anything, then id move onto Igor's suggestion of a protein treatment followed by a DC. If there's no change after doing this then maybe the lightest dusting of the ends will help. Its surprising but just taking the teeniest bit like ----> _ this much can make such a huge difference.
Perfect advice.

monsterna
December 29th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Hair feels really nice after it's dried! Good thing I did it last night and showered -- woke up pretty late this morning. Thanks everyone! I'll clarify more often, too.