PDA

View Full Version : Let's play a little game of hair trivia.....

ChayahSaahene
December 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I am in the military. I wore my hair loose and in a bob until it got to my collar. Then I had to put it up - so I put it in a ponytail (with just a little hair sticking out as my hair was so short). Then I began the military bun.

So here is the game of hair trivia. I will give you the rules I have to live by and you tell me if you can think of any hairstyles that fit into the rules. Keep in mind my hair is only a little longer than SL.

The hairstyle must:
1. Fit very close to the head from the ears up (so that I can wear my beret),
2. Keep all hair lying close to the head (as opposed to a braid hanging freely, or a half-up),
3. Not go past the collar,
4. Require only a plain clip, hair rubber band, bobby pin, or other conspicuous hair device that is conservative and the same color as my hair (can only be for securing the hair, not for decoration - no stix, hair claws, etc.)
5. Be symmetrical (no side ponytails or lopsided do's)
6. Be stylable when wet (we do physical fitness from 6:30 to 7:30 am each morning - sometimes in the snow, rain, mud, etc. - which necessitates a hair wash and styling within an hour)

French braids and military buns are the two overwhelming styles. Anyone have any other ideas???????????

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I would reccomend a french twist fastened with a ficcare. Its pretty simple to do, does not leave hair sticking out and ficcares hold like a rock. You could also do a peacock twist with the ends tucked in.

Roseate
December 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
A low Gibson Tuck (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49)?

rosek
December 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
You could do two braids / French/Dutch braids and pin the tails to the back of your head, using bobbypins.

luxepiggy
December 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
What about a tucked French or tucked Dutch braid?

ETA: Here's a link of the finished style: http://thejunglebook.pbworks.com/f/1287014591/french-braid.jpg

DreadfulWoman
December 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Wow - very limiting. I was going to suggest 2 braids, crossed over each other and pinned down, but I think maybe that's what rosek had in mind, too. If you're very dextrous at braiding you could play with fistails, and four and five strand braids, either tucked or crossed in back.

Also, I don't see any rules there about ends sticking out. Would a low folded ponytail work? If you don't want the ends sticking out you could always wrap them around the outside of it and pin them with bobby pins.

This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xpPPE6ZGA) could work too, but I think you'd have to forgo the pink bow. ;)

triumphator!
December 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I recently saw a video called "military sock bun" or something along those lines on Youtube, you should look up how she does it, she puts her cap on at the end of the video too.

Thanks for serving our country and all you do :)

Igor
December 28th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I recently saw a video called "military sock bun" or something along those lines on Youtube, you should look up how she does it, she puts her cap on at the end of the video too.

Thanks for serving our country and all you do :)

I just looked that one up. It warms my heart to see our "fancy" longhair styles put to real, rough and dirty everyday use like this :p
(And totally amuses me to see her in her uniform with “US AIRFORCE” printed just about everywhere praising Aussie products)

Adiva
December 29th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I'll be following this thread very closely as I face similar issues trying to find a hair style that is out of the way, has no parts hanging, is tidy, allows me to wear my helmet and is quick to do when I'm called out for the State Emergency Service.

Great post idea!

Sinisiew
December 29th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Perhaps two french braids along the sides of your head with the ends crossed at the nape and tucked in would work?

KittyLost
December 29th, 2010, 03:53 AM
A braid over braid updo?

http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=63

However use a little clip instead of hair sticks?

ChayahSaahene
December 29th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Ladies,

Thank you all so much!!! I'll try these ideas and see which work best. I love your creativity and appreciate you trying to help me.

snowbear
December 29th, 2010, 10:59 AM
There was a member here (and goodness, I'd forgotten whom!) who did a low-profile bun for ballet. It consisted of separating her hair into five sections, then twisting those sections into one wide concentric bun held with bobby pins. The bun held like glue, apparently.

sparkle'n'bling
December 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
There was a member here (and goodness, I'd forgotten whom!) who did a low-profile bun for ballet. It consisted of separating her hair into five sections, then twisting those sections into one wide concentric bun held with bobby pins. The bun held like glue, apparently.

I can't remember who that was, but I think the bun got called the vortex bun. Uses loads of pins, but definitely holds rock firm.

squintinschool
December 30th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I can't remember who that was, but I think the bun got called the vortex bun. Uses loads of pins, but definitely holds rock firm.

It certainly does. I've done it with four sections only, though. But it worked on my APL-approaching hair. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it as of right now. But it is very quick, and made my thick hair lie much flatter than a normal bun.

PrincessBob
December 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM
My hair is a couple of inches shorter than yours, also with lots of layers ... here are some updos that I like to do.

Peacock twist - sorry it's so dark; bigger picture here

Sock bun

Two sideways french twists, secured with spin pins - see video tutorial

French twist

Saw this on the "updo help" thread, thought of your post. I hope it helps...

eezepeeze
December 30th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Can you do a French twist held with SpinPins? Those wouldn't show at all.

What about the Masara? It's like a folded braid, but gets tucked at the top rahter than the bottom. You can search for it here at LHC.

Arya
December 30th, 2010, 11:04 PM
lace/window-shade braids along the side of your head hold your hair like a rock, from my experience. They keep any little pieces from falling in your eyes when you're doing work. They're also twice as fast as dutch/french braiding along the side of your head, which is good in the morning.
french twists would also look nice, but I find they fall out like crazy.
What about rolling the hair along the side of your head, and into a flipped pony? that would look cute and forties.

Ludde
December 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I used to section the hair from forehead along the sides (think of the start of braiding a horse mane into a monk hairstyle), put a small rubber band loosely around each section, pretty close to the scalp, then turn them upwards along the lower side of the head and twist the upper behind the next beneath, securing it if necessary in one of their rubber bands, the ends from each side going into each others rubber bands, creating a single neat and very secure hair roll beneath the beret without any visible clips.