PDA

View Full Version : Scissors for S&D?

patienceneeded
December 28th, 2010, 10:50 AM
As someone who has never trimmed her own hair, but is thinking of starting to S&D, I am wondering what brand of scissors is the preferred brand? I know they need to be hair scissors and never used for any other purpose, but they run from $5 up to over $100! I am not looking to spend a minor fortune on scissors, $20-$30 is as expensive as I'm willing to go, but if there is a good pair for less, I'm all for it. So...tell me please, what scissors do you all use and like?

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 11:10 AM
As someone who has never trimmed her own hair, but is thinking of starting to S&D, I am wondering what brand of scissors is the preferred brand? I know they need to be hair scissors and never used for any other purpose, but they run from $5 up to over $100! I am not looking to spend a minor fortune on scissors, $20-$30 is as expensive as I'm willing to go, but if there is a good pair for less, I'm all for it. So...tell me please, what scissors do you all use and like?

I got mine for $11 from Kroger in the hair aisle. Can't remember the brand. There are also some in CVS and such that run under $20. No need to go towards $100!

Anje
December 28th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Honestly, I think you can do pretty well even with cheap scissors, provided that they're made for cutting hair, and that they're not used for cutting other things like paper, which will dull them. I've got two pairs -- one is Goody and was under $10, another from Sally that was about $20. The more expensive pair has some small serations in the blades that are supposed to hold hair, but I think they're possibly worse for my hair than the smooth cheap scissors.

patienceneeded
December 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I was browsing Amazon.com and found several pairs of styling shears by Tweezerman, all under $20. I get free two-day shipping and am now trying to decide what to buy. Anyone have experience with Tweezerman scissors? I have their tweezers, which work well for hair removal, but have never seen their scissors before.