PDA

View Full Version : Upset at cut

Jules diamond
December 28th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Hey LHC,

I went in to get the remaining damage cut from my hair today. I told the woman to cut an inch and a half and then a couple of long layers, but when I left, I could help but notice that it felt really short. I've been panicking since.

I just measured in and it's three inches shorter then it was this morning-- my whole years' growth-- and I'm very upset about it. My hair is back to BSL when I was scraping waist before, and I had a year long stall at BSL that I really do not want to have to go through again.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n363/all_for_LOL/Photoon2010-11-26at23215-1.jpg http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n363/all_for_LOL/Photoon2011-12-28at0007.jpg

Before jaksjdakdjaskdjadlkajdalksdalkldjadAfter

Help?

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 01:39 AM
For what its worth I think it looks great. It looks thicker, fuller and the ends look less wispy. It may be a lot shorter than you wanted but just think of it as a good fresh start. Afterall, all of the damage is gone, the ends are healthy and your hair is still quite long (especially for curly hair).

Dragon
December 28th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I am so sorry this has happened to you. This happens to me every time which is why I trim it my self now. A lot safer. :grouphug:

Jemoiselle
December 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Awww Jules I completely understand your shock! :( I must say though that your new length looks much thicker and has such amazing body! Your hair is incredibly beautiful and those curls are so gorgeous! You will really appreciate that hemline as it gets even longer, too ;) The way I used to calm myself after big cuts was that if it was damaged, it was gonna come off one way...or another. If you get my drift, and it's better to not have damage splitting upwards into strong hair! I know it's hard, believe me, I am growing out a major chop from beyond TB to jawbone. I'm at shoulder length and it feels like it's taking forever! Just hang in there and remember, this too shall pass. I can't wait to see you beaming at your growth in the months to come! :cheer: It WILL grow back! Think fast growing happy thoughts, and let us know how it progresses.

All the best to you my friend, :flower:
Jemoiselle

Nymph
December 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear it, that's indeed a lot of hair and it's always annoying when you've put in so much effort and then a hair dresser makes a mistake and cuts a whole thing away.
I do agree that your hair looks really healthy and glowy now, tough. Also, I find that when my hair just had a cut it feels better and it's like a little growth boost. So hopefully you'll soon catch up.

milagro
December 28th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I agree the cut flatters your texture and encourages waves. And hair will grow again eventually while you are enjoying your new style :flower:

julliams
December 28th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I had a very similar experience to you and whilst I was happy at first, I realised that around 2+ inches was gone and I felt like I had been cheated.

I know everyone says that your hair will not grow any faster if you cut it but ... I have been measuring my growth each month since September 2009 and my normal growth rate is about 5/8" per month. My best growth rate came right after my trim in April with 7/8", followed by 5/8" and then 9/8" - so a total of 2 and 6/8" (almost 3") within the next 3 months.

Try taking photos each month and you might find the very same will happen to you. Here are my shots at the time so you can see for yourself. You might also note that my curl pattern improved after the cut. It was like magic - everything just seemed to fall in place better.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/4662601489_ec69c555e0_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4663232204_d9a1208e49_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4663238938_c3547dc66b_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4662633381_98936fbc47_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4756537623_6bdf3af1c6_m.jpg

Don't worry - you will get your length back quickly. It looks lovely and will be only more healthy for having been trimmed.

hanne jensen
December 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. However, your hemline looks much thicker.

Do you have a family member or SO whom you trust? Maybe they could microtrim you? When I say micro trim, I mean MICRO- 1/4 centimeter.

As for your stall, have you considered using Mn?

:grouphug::flowers:

Timkerbelle
December 28th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Your hair really looks lovely after the trim! I completely sympathize with your experience, which is exactly the reason I hesitate to go get my hair cut by a "professional"

Madora
December 28th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with your trim.

On the bright side, your hair looks wonderful, very full and thick, with a great hemline.

Perhaps next time you're thinking of trimming you could try feye's self-trimming method.

bunzfan
December 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I agree with everything else that has been said, since your cut it looks much thicker i cut my hair recently and i feel your pain with regards to the length as curly/wavy hair shrinks so much when dry but i hope this cut will make your hair grow quickly.

miss_purple
December 28th, 2010, 07:52 AM
What a great hemline!

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I am sorry you feel sad at your trim, 3" is a lot to lose and it is kind of hard to see the difference in length as your head is more forward in the most recent photo, but it does look thicker and bouncier now. Maybe you stalled before because the layers where catching the length up and now they have caught up your hair will grow at a more acceptable speed for you, I truly hope so, but your hair really does look beautiful and those 3" will soon be back!

gretchen_hair
December 28th, 2010, 08:28 AM
To be honest, I can only see where the longest layers that were thick and piecy, have been cut. I don't think that the stylist took off any more than necessary in order to even up the longest/old layers.

I think it looked fine before but looks good now too.

When we cut the hair, that is how it ends up sometimes, maybe the 1 inch would have only cut a portion of the older, longest layer.

I don't think she did a bad job or hacked it in any way.

ericthegreat
December 28th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you. It is very clear that she cut off wayy too much.

On the plus side, it is a nice haircut. Its even and your new ends are much thicker and healthier now. With this new cut, you can go without further trimming for more than 6 months or maybe even more. And by then your hair will have already grown back and in a healthier condition too!

sedonia
December 28th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I think your after photo looks great, and IMO the stylist did do a good job, although I can understand being upset at asking for one inch.

But I can see the stylist's dilemma -- to take just an inch off everywhere, when a few areas have grown longer and/or have more damage than others.

Anyway, it really looks nice, your curls are more defined, and you have less damage to trim off in upcoming months. I would say, don't get too caught up on hair measuring ;-). And next time, if you want an inch off, ask for half an inch, or even 1/4 of an inch.

Paula Auguste
December 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I feel your pain! :cookie: :puppykisses: (Don't we have a comforting smiley?) But I also agree with all others: your new hemline looks wonderfully full and you can enjoy all these healthy ends. Probably it was just a misunderstanding on the hairstylist side. One inch may have only taken away from the longest layer, so maybe she put the emphasize on "a few layers" and not on "only one inch". I guess it is hard to understand for a professional stylist that someone wants to look the SAME :shocked: after the haircut.

That said, it seems to me that the length difference on these two pictures is even more pronounced by your lovely curls. At least my curls bounce up more the shorter my hair is. It could be that if you pull on one strand, it may end up just above waist. (Stupid question, have you measured wet or stretched out?)

thatjengirl1
December 28th, 2010, 10:01 AM
in the second picture it looks like your head is tilted forward a little bit more than the first picture so i think it's making the cut look more dramatic.

i'm sorry your not happy with your cut :( i really dont know what to say, other than hold your head up and keep growin!! :)

spidermom
December 28th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and more curly, which I'm sure contributes to the feeling that you've lost too much length. As someone mentioned earlier, sometimes hair has wonderful growth spurts following a good trim. Mine does. I bet you'll get those inches back pretty fast.

ancilla
December 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm sorry. I totally understand why you'd be upset. However it looks great and it must feel nice to know that you have no damage!!

lapushka
December 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
It's sad that you lost length that you didn't want to lose, but there's nothing you can do about it now except accept it and move past it.

It looks great, though. Your curls are beautiful. :flower:

Avvoltoio
December 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM
i agree about self trimming, in this way you never can be disappointed or upset, and it is much more easier to do what many people think

SilvraShadows
December 28th, 2010, 03:24 PM
It'll be okay, I don't think you'll stall this time around. You mentioned the last of your damage was cut away, right? So now your hair will grow healthy and longer in no time. Unless you stress! Being upset will only hinder the overall outcome. It'll cause undesirable results. So enjoy you new hemline and beautiful hair... you do have beautiful hair!!!

angelthadiva
December 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
FWIW, I think your hair looks fantastic. It looked great before, but the after shot is not bad. I totally get that you aren't totally thrilled with it, but it looks healthy and your curl pattern is cute!

Jules diamond
December 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone. :flower: All of your comments have helped so much and I feel much better about the loss of length now. I'm a lot more hopeful for growth in the new year.

julliams
December 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Jules, take another after photo - I think your head is further forward and sometimes this can make a difference of an inch or two. Your head is further back in the first photo, I think.

Islandgrrl
December 28th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry you're unhappy with it.

For what it's worth, it looks fantastic after the trim. Really full and thick.

fairystar32
December 28th, 2010, 04:48 PM
HUGS
I went through the exact same thing in August, I posted about it as I was so upset. On a positive note my hair grew from just past BSL back to waist within 4 mths :)

My DD has Hip length hair and just had the ends cut and lost 3" too as hers is curly its gone even higher but I keep saying to myself it will grow it will grow to stop myself crying.
It will grow xxxxxx

Jessica Trapp
December 28th, 2010, 04:57 PM
hugs! :grouphug:

Macaroni
December 28th, 2010, 05:06 PM
If it's any consolation, your hair looks 100% thicker now and healthier with soft curls. I know it isn't what you wanted, but it looks very, very good.

DARKMARTIAN
December 28th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Well.....its certainly unfortunate that as much was cut as it was....but as some others here have said, it still looks really nice.

I was just talking to my mother not more than a few hours ago about getting a trim and after reading these stories im convinced that unless I get a trim by someone I KNOW i can trust implicitly.....im going to have to go into wherever I go and make it VERY clear to whoever cuts my hair that if I get up from that chair and there are inches cut beyond what I really asked for then there's gonna be trouble......

Granted I wont get violent or anything.....but I wont pay a single penny for services OVER rendered....

Ill walk right out of there........and if anyone there has half a brain, they wont try and stop me..;)

Bluegrass Babe
December 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Sorry you're upset with the new haircut. But I have to agree with my fellow LHCer's who say that your head is tipped forward slightly in the second photo. That would explain an inch missing from the length. Also, your curls are now more defined / bouncier looking - that would account for another inch! Maybe the stylist did cut only an inch off?

I wouldn't worry about another stall. I don't think a stall has anything to do with the length of your hair (unless you are at / nearing terminal length). It could have been a number of things that caused it - your stress level, nutritional status, the season or change of seasons, or your body's natural rhythms. That's my theory. (I'm no scientist! ;) )

Your hair looks much prettier now, btw! It is much better to sacrifice a little length for healthy beautiful hair than keep damaged dull hair for lengths sake, IMO.

SilvraShadows
December 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
You all have good eyes! I really can't see the tilt of her head in the photos, but her length surely is shorter looking than the three inches she measured as a loss. But Jules, it is beautiful!!!

lupiae
January 4th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Your hair looks beautiful, but you're right. The woman cut too much!
Have you ever thought to cut it by yourself? Or by a friend of yours?
It is easy and you can really cut what you want.

Ciao

claireozzy
January 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I used to get the same from hairdressers, I always self trim now, especially being a wurly I can get away with not being exactly straight.

It does look very nice and healthy though, just a shame she didnt listen to you before cutting