PDA

View Full Version : Men on the forum

dereksurfs
December 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Ok, I admit I have a newbie lurker here. You see I am sort of a research nut and trying to learn from those in the know. And who better to learn from than from those with amazing results - namely you folks! When I started first started my quest for better hair products I ended up reading reviews on places like makeupAlley. But I really prefer to read the stories here and see the results you are achieving. They are pretty amazing to say the least.

I do feel a bit out of place here though as I have have medium length men's hair - no long mane that's for sure. I'm actually growing out a shorter military type cut.

So here's my question. Do you think many men use these more exotic treatments (e.g. oils, preconditioners, ACV rinses, etc...) especially for medium length men's hair? I am wondering if some of you women threaten/coax your significant other to use these hair treatmens on them? :p

As a newbie here is my experience so far after using basic, cheap drugstore shampoos and occasional conditioners like most guys I know. I found some great new products which I really like, specifically Trader Joe's nourish spa shampoo and conditioner. That was a good start but my hair was still a bit dry. So I thought what the heck, I may as well dive right in and try some coconut oil.LOL... :D So I just picked some up and really like using it combined with the TJ nourish spa shampoo. My pool damaged hair is started to feel better already.

Then today I went to Sallys I picked up their generic Biolage Conditioning Balm which was also recommneded on here. Man that stuff is amazing!

My wife thought I was crazy at first. But now she is seeing the results and comented on the silkiness of my hair. LOL... I just want it to no longer feel dried out like hay from the pool and stiff from the cheaper products I have been using. Overall I have to thank you all for the info you provide.

Now my wife has slowly started trying some of the products I'm bringing home. And I washed my two younger daughters hair tonight with them. Ultimately I think this forum will help all the women in my life. I really hate hearing my daughters cry when my wife tries combing the knots out of their longer hair.:o My son on the other hand wants nothing to do with it! His hair is short and needs very little of anything.

Anyway thanks again,

Derek

ravenreed
December 27th, 2010, 11:32 PM
For tangles, I highly recommend the Tangle Teezer. Sally's now carries them. They look like a human curry comb, but they take the tangles out with minimum damage and pain. I have pretty much given up on other combs and brushes because that thing is so awesome. Also, you can use the generic Biolage as a leave in on your daughters' ends, right before brushing. You might want to water it down a bit, but it should also help with tangles. Welcome to the forums and good luck!

dereksurfs
December 28th, 2010, 12:14 AM
For tangles, I highly recommend the Tangle Teezer. Sally's now carries them. They look like a human curry comb, but they take the tangles out with minimum damage and pain. I have pretty much given up on other combs and brushes because that thing is so awesome. Also, you can use the generic Biolage as a leave in on your daughters' ends, right before brushing. You might want to water it down a bit, but it should also help with tangles. Welcome to the forums and good luck!

Thanks Ravenreed,

I've heard good things about ppl using regular conditioners for leave-in as well. Their hair felt really good tonight after using garnier fortifying shampoo and the generic conditioning balm. But we'll see in the morning if they make it through their normal combing torture treatments.

I also just recieved my next experimental sample product in the mail for leave-in conditioner - Nightblooming Panacea. I had to give this stuff a try after reading so mainy positive reviews of it. Got the normal and Winter versions plus the oil. This was mainly for wife's hair to calm the frizz and tame the curls. But it may be a good option for my daughters as well. I'll take a look at that brush next time I'm at Sallys.

Thanks again,

Derek

LovelyL
December 28th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I have to say the men in my life, either have such short hair that it doesn't really matter what they do to it (this is most of them to be honest) or just don't care. My DBF's brother apparently went for a week using only conditioner because he couldn't be bothered to read the bottle and it was only when his mum pointed out his greasy hair and interrogated him that this was discovered! DBF also just uses whatever shampoo happens to be in the bathroom, but at least he's observant enough to make sure it's shampoo!

Right now I'm just imagining going the whole hog with some of the ideas on LHC... coconut oil, ACV... DBF would be sooo confused, bless him :p
but I know there's no way I could coax/threaten him (that just makes him more stubborn!) regarding his hair, when I can't even get him to moisturise after shaving...

so after all that rambling: good on you dereksurfs for taking care of your hair :D

Marjolein
December 28th, 2010, 05:23 AM
<snip>

I am wondering if some of you women threaten/coax your significant other to use these hair treatmens on them? :p

<and snip again>

Hihi, yep, that's what I do. DH's hair isn't longer than 1 or 1.5 inches but I've made him try quite a few things. He has a pretty bad dandruff problem, so that's how I get him to try stuff. All in the name of science of course :wannabe:.
So far he's been on cassia treatments, deep oil treatments, CO (conditioner only) washing, sulphate free shampoo, shampoo bars, herbal rinses, vinegar rinses and what have you. If you want to try out things, then by all means, do it!!

mrs_coffee
December 28th, 2010, 05:44 AM
My son has hair just past shoulder length and CWCs. That's about as exotic as he gets. My husband is former military and has kept his buzz cut, which is fine with me. I love it.

dereksurfs
December 28th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Hihi, yep, that's what I do. DH's hair isn't longer than 1 or 1.5 inches but I've made him try quite a few things. He has a pretty bad dandruff problem, so that's how I get him to try stuff. All in the name of science of course :wannabe:.
So far he's been on cassia treatments, deep oil treatments, CO (conditioner only) washing, sulphate free shampoo, shampoo bars, herbal rinses, vinegar rinses and what have you. If you want to try out things, then by all means, do it!!
Haha :D,

You guys are cracking me up! This is a funny story. And your DH has been a good sport all in the name of science or monkey business. Don't know if I'll try the vinegar rinses though. I've have to draw the line somewhere. :p

When my son gets out of line I threaten him with trying some of these beauty treatments and he runs as fast as he can to other end of the house. :eek:

I used to have longer hair as a teen. So after all these years I've decided to grow it out a bit more. My wife and I joke about going through mid life crisis. Hey, I may as well try it longer while it's still there right? And if I don't like it longer I can easily fix it in one haircut.

Derek

dropinthebucket
December 28th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I well remember my mother trying to comb my past shoulder-length fine, tangly hair when I was a little girl! Poor woman, she would try her best, but I have super baby fine hair that tangles if you even look at it the wrong way. We didn't know about exotic things like coconut oil in my house back then (this is going back 30 years, mind!) - but one day, when I was about 12 and already afraid of brushes and combs based on several painful detangling sessions, my mom discovered creme rinse!! best thing ever. I gather it was a "new product" that had never made it into our rural grocery/drug store way up north ever before! Ah, yes ... your post brings back memories.

Welcome to the forum!

dereksurfs
December 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I well remember my mother trying to comb my past shoulder-length fine, tangly hair when I was a little girl! Poor woman, she would try her best, but I have super baby fine hair that tangles if you even look at it the wrong way. We didn't know about exotic things like coconut oil in my house back then (this is going back 30 years, mind!) - but one day, when I was about 12 and already afraid of brushes and combs based on several painful detangling sessions, my mom discovered creme rinse!! best thing ever. I gather it was a "new product" that had never made it into our rural grocery/drug store way up north ever before! Ah, yes ... your post brings back memories.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. I just spoke with my wife and unfortunately our girls hair still had tangling problems this morning after applying Nightblooming Panacea as a leave-in. According to my DW the panacea was really too thick to do much with the tangles. Although she seemed to like it in her hair which is more curly and and has a tendancy to frizz.

I think we need to try conditioner as leave-in before attempting to comb as ravenreed recommended. And the Tangle Teezer sounds like something worth trying for them as well. BTW, their hair is pretty strait with a little bit of waves and thin/light for the most part. I am not really sure what all those hair type numbers mean you folks have in your description. They are only 5 and 6 y/o.

Derek

breezefaerie
December 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I think we need to try conditioner as leave-in before attempting to comb as ravenreed recommended. And the Tangle Teezer sounds like something worth trying for them as well. BTW, their hair is pretty strait with a little bit of waves and thin/light for the most part. I am not really sure what all those hair type numbers mean you folks have in your description. They are only 5 and 6 y/o

When I was that age, I had stick-straight super-fine hair that tangled if you looked at it. It was torture for me to have my hair washed and combed. Having a spray detangler really made a huge difference I remember.

I think it's great that you have taken an interest in not only your own hair, but your wife's and daughter's hair as well :)
Welcome!

dereksurfs
December 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM
When I was that age, I had stick-straight super-fine hair that tangled if you looked at it. It was torture for me to have my hair washed and combed. Having a spray detangler really made a huge difference I remember.

I think it's great that you have taken an interest in not only your own hair, but your wife's and daughter's hair as well :)
Welcome!

breezefaerie, I think a lot of women here have vivid childhood memories of this kind of torture. My girls cringe when they see the comb. I definately need to research detangler options for them.

I read on here about a recipe which sounds like it could work - Kimberlily's defrizz spray. Some report it works good for tangles as well. There are definately a lot of options to look at. I may just start with our new conditioner (Biologe conitioning balm) and add some water to create a spray. I've read Biolage makes a detangler as well which may have potention. But it's got cones.

Derek

LisaMonster
December 28th, 2010, 09:22 PM
My boyfriend has the most wonderful curls, and they're always in their best condition when he's with me, because I make him let me wash his hair, lol. I CO, ACV rinse, and use jojoba oil on him, mehehehehe.

longlockenvy
December 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
My husband is balding slightly on top, and his hair is very dry, and maybe a couple inches long. Anyways, he lets me put olive oil on his hair and scalp every evening, and honestly it has helped a lot! His hair and scalp soak it up like crazy, and I'm always so surprised when he doesn't look greasy! He said since it's working so well for him, he will let me try whatever i want on him now!

*evil cackle*

anthonyswife
December 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Welcome Derek!

That's awesome that you're experimenting with your hair! :D My husband actually loved using conditioner long before I met him, and earlier this year he made an attempt at growing out his hair to "headbanging length" and kept asking me if he was doing everything right. :) His hair would look beautiful long (thick, dark, and wavy) but unfortunately it hit an awkward stage and he decided to cut it again.

patienceneeded
December 28th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the forum! As for the tangle teezer, I would highly recommend buying one! I bought one for my DD's hair (she is 4) and she LOVES it. Hair combing use to be a time of tears, but no more! She is quite happy to have her hair combed now. Also, using conditioner in the hair has worked wonders too.

Avvoltoio
December 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Wellcome Derek!
I write to be able read a man reply on that forum :), and the upper comments are very useful, i just always learn something new from that nice women, like now the tanle teezer, i not heard much about it before.

Fortunately i easily get out the tangles from my hair with my fingers, when i am sure there are no more, i use wood brush. When i wash my hair i use only shampo, but balsam or conditioner can help much to avoid tangles. I considering to use oil on my hair. Against thinning, and split ends i use mini trims(which means 3-4mm) in every 3-4 months.

cataphract
December 29th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Ah, yes, I, too remember the dreaded childhood tangle days.

I also remember how ridiculously awesome the detangler spray that breezefaerie mentioned is. I would definitely give it a shot if you can get a hold of some.

Arndis
December 29th, 2010, 09:15 AM
breezefaerie, I think a lot of women here have vivid childhood memories of this kind of torture. My girls cringe when they see the comb. I definately need to research detangler options for them.

Not to stop you from finding detanglers, but here's another idea or two. When I was little, my mother was very rough brushing or combing my hair and it hurt so much it made me cry. But when I started brushing or combing my own hair, things went much better, because my aunt taught me to start brushing from the ends up, and I could feel when it hit a big tangle and pick it apart gently. Later on I also discovered wide-tooth combs and conditioner.

So with your girls, I suggest you try wide-tooth combs when the hair is full of conditioner, starting with the ends and working back up to the roots. Then a regular comb, same technique. If they are old enough, teach them how to do it themselves, since painful things are sometimes easier that way. And later when the hair is dry, it should be much easier to brush and comb!

dereksurfs
December 29th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Wellcome Derek!
I write to be able read a man reply on that forum :), and the upper comments are very useful, i just always learn something new from that nice women, like now the tanle teezer, i not heard much about it before.

Fortunately i easily get out the tangles from my hair with my fingers, when i am sure there are no more, i use wood brush. When i wash my hair i use only shampo, but balsam or conditioner can help much to avoid tangles. I considering to use oil on my hair. Against thinning, and split ends i use mini trims(which means 3-4mm) in every 3-4 months.

Cool, so I guess I'm not the only man on the forum. :D I was beginning to wonder. Thanks for the input.

I do wonder if other shorter haired people (men & women) read the advice here. I think a lot of the recommendations can still apply. Although obviously less product is required.

I know for me as I grow out my hair I really hate when it looks like hay and is completely unruley because it is caked with poor quality products. So just trying some of these things has really helped. Probably because I swim it has become more an issue than for some men or ladies with sorter hair. When I used to surf more the combo or salt water and clorine really did a number on me. Here is a picture of me with longer hair when younger (much). This most likely as long as I'll grow it out:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1209.snc4/156129_1732017582695_1306175605_1911832_3984173_n. jpg

Derek

dereksurfs
December 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Ok ravenreed,

I took your advice and picked up the Tangle Teezer at Sally's today. I brought it home and before I knew it my daughters were testing out it out and both thanking me. Their reaction was unexpected as it is just a brush/comb. But hey, whatever works right? :cheese:

Next in line is Kimberlily's defrizz spray. We just have to collect all the ingredients.

My wife also tried using a conditioner / water spray today on their dry hair in the morning (they shower at night). And it worked pretty good.

Thanks again for all the ideas,

Derek

Masara
December 30th, 2010, 12:59 AM
My daughter has very fine hair that tangles if you look at it. Detangling sessions are always painful for both of us.
Things that have helped are: the tangle teaser as mentioned here already. It seems to get the tangles out without pulling. Brushing her hair before washing (with the tangle teaser) using a good conditioner on the ends, a small blob of panacea after rinsing, combing through her hair while still wet, a sleep braid. A cassia/conditioner mix from time to time is very helpful too.
Her hair is like mine; it tangles more when it needs clarifying, not from product build up but from mineral build up from the hard water we have here.

Fingolphin
December 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I am a guy, and I personally use a wooden detangler comb after I wash and condition. I oil my hair every night before bed. It's been great for it.

I noticed that you (the OP) said that you swim. I used to date a girl many years ago that was on the swim team in high school, and she said she'd notice a difference with her hair during the swim season and the off-season. When she'd swim a lot, her hair would be noticeably thinner (even on her arm hair!). She thought it was most likely all the chlorine in the water. She said that it was the case with others too. Just something to think about.

dereksurfs
December 30th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I am a guy, and I personally use a wooden detangler comb after I wash and condition. I oil my hair every night before bed. It's been great for it.

I noticed that you (the OP) said that you swim. I used to date a girl many years ago that was on the swim team in high school, and she said she'd notice a difference with her hair during the swim season and the off-season. When she'd swim a lot, her hair would be noticeably thinner (even on her arm hair!). She thought it was most likely all the chlorine in the water. She said that it was the case with others too. Just something to think about.

Yes, chlorine really effects one hair. The chemicals are very harsh. I used to be a pool lifeguard and part of my job was to add the chemicals into the pool. Acid was one of the ingredients which actually burned holes in my clothes if it splashed on them. It would even stain the concrete around the pool.

I was reading how some ppl combat this through using leave-in conditioner or oil in their hair prior to swimming. Then clarifiers are used right after the swim to remove as much of the chlorine as possible. So I'll probably try something like that tommorrow. I picked up some Paul Mitchell Three which is designed for this sort of thing.

Derek

nowxisxforever
December 30th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Glad to have you here, Derek! Good luck with your girls' hair. My DBF keeps his hair long.. it was chinlength or so when I met him, now it's to his lower back. It's the most gorgeous hair I've ever seen... full of curls, multicolor (natural highlights!), and looks luscious. I always wanted to play with his hair, begged him for a few years, in fact! lol :) He washes it with shampoo I think once a week, and the rest of the time either conditions or uses just water in the mornings depending on what his hair needs.

Likewise, we have a manager at my workplace who has long dreads, typical african hair- coarse and tight curls. It looks great! He doesn't wash it very often either, but of course it's always clean. 'Clean' is relative. He has a pretty similar routine to a lot of LHC folks, actually ^^ and luckily he's not cursed with dandruff like I am.

Konstifik
December 31st, 2010, 01:46 AM
My boyfriends hair is about the same length as mine and we are both hennaheads. While he doesn't show much direct interest in haircare, he trusts me to find the best of the best bathroom products, and he gladly uses them, even if they contain rather... Unconventional stuff, like tar. :D
He asks for some recommendations as well, like what to do if the hair got lots of tangles (he got a very low pain-threshold on the scalp :P) or what to do if it's incredibly static.