PDA

View Full Version : Time to cut?

Barniie
December 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM
So, frankly, my ends feel like crap. My hair is nice and soft but when i get to my ends my fingers 'catch' and don't slide down the ends. They are dry, crunchy and gross. So lets fface it, is it time to trim? I'm sooo close to bsl, in fact I might be teetering on the edge now, but cutting would bring me back an inch. Any remedies? Ideas?Or should I give in... Thanks :)

spidermom
December 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Try clarifying first. Sometimes it's the stuff (oil residue, conditioner, etc) on your hair that is dried out, not your hair. If that doesn't work - and try it at least twice - then yes, it's time to trim.

Elenna
December 27th, 2010, 09:10 PM
It is less traumatic to trim a little bit at a time. Say a quarter inch every couple of months until all the damaged hair is trimmed off than to trim it all off at once. That way you can trim your hair and keep it too.

JuneBride
December 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
So, frankly, my ends feel like crap. My hair is nice and soft but when i get to my ends my fingers 'catch' and don't slide down the ends. They are dry, crunchy and gross. So lets fface it, is it time to trim? I'm sooo close to bsl, in fact I might be teetering on the edge now, but cutting would bring me back an inch. Any remedies? Ideas?Or should I give in... Thanks :)

I am a firm believer it's more important to have healthy hair than it is to have linger hair mainly because dry dead damaged hair look and feels bad and doesn't grow well. See Nightshades article on damaged hair it will blow your mind! You have to start with healthy hair or else the splits will travel up your length and the longer you wait the more you'll have to cut off!! :( Sooo look at my albums - I went from APL super damaged hair to super healthy hair in a year...and I am still at APL! But now I can start 2011 with healthy hair and hopefully get to BSL in that next year! Good Luck and BTW, I love bolanagse, too hahaha!!!

misstwist
December 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Listen to Spidermom. She speaks the truth. :D

McFearless
December 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Think of it this way- if you trim the inch off in February you'll gain the inch back.

misstwist
December 27th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Also? Dry, crunchy and gross can be an indication of protein overload. Clarify then moisturize thoroughly with a product that doesn't have any protein or coconut oil in it, then decide if you need a trim.

triumphator!
December 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Also? Dry, crunchy and gross can be an indication of protein overload. Clarify then moisturize thoroughly with a product that doesn't have any protein or coconut oil in it, then decide if you need a trim.

Definitely try to manage protein before you decide to trim!

akuamoonmaui
December 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm going to try no trims in 2011, so just trimmed off the bottom inch to give myself more of a U hem. Clarifying may be the issue, but if not, don't feel too badly, it's a new year so it's not bad to have a good start. I was just barely past BSL, but now I'm right there. The regress was worth it.

Deborah
December 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
If you clarify and that doesn't help, then I think you need a good trim. If it were me I'd trim off an inch at least. That would prevent damage from traveling up the shaft of the hair. It's really not much; it'll be back in a month or two. :)

chelseamichelle
December 27th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm always trying to delay trims, and the best way to do that is to do an EVOO soak, it gets rid of the crunchy and snaggly bits. Worth a try if you really don't want to trim right away.

Barniie
December 28th, 2010, 07:27 PM
So I clarified (With HE Drama Clean Shampoo) and then washed with Organic Care Shampoo and Conditioner in one. Skipped condish. Hair is feeling soft and fluffy now (I think I needed that clarify!) but the ends are still feeling weird. When I ponytail my hair, so the ends are all on the top (I have layers) when i pull my hand down my ponytail i can feel all the dry, bumpy bits. I think its protein overload, because i've heard coconut oil is protein - I use that almost once a week! Should I do an EVOO soak? Anything else for deep moisture sans protein treatment? Thanks!

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I get the dry, crunchy feeling in my ends too yet they are not visibly damaged. Castor oil usually does the trick for me. I just let my ends soak in it for an hour then wash it out with clairifying conditioner and conditioner. When they dry they always feel a lot better.

Barniie
December 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Ooh, and another thing. I have never, not ONCE found a split end in my hair. I got my friend to look, and my sister too, and they couldn't even find any!! So I dont think it's damage...

xoxophelia
December 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I am a firm believer in never cutting your hair unless you really REALLY have to. ;)

Try everything else first and then if that doesn't work do a .5" trim. It will make a bigger difference than you might think.

Madame J
December 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I'm going to echo clarifying. I had rough, crunchy ends, but I didn't use any 'cones or protein products. Well, lots of other things can build up. After one wash with a clarifying shampoo, my ends felt better. Try clarifying before deciding whether or not to trim.