PDA

View Full Version : Beach Tips

JuneBride
December 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM
As I am compiling my new years hair resolutions and then seeing the "how you wear your hair in the winter" thread, it got me to thinking of the four seasons of the year and...I was thinking it would be good to learn some summertime beach hair tips! It's nice to think about the beach now...helps me get through the doldrums of winter! Plus this will be helpful to those that go away in the cold winter to warm climates or those that live on/near the beach like me and will go to the beach as early as April or May (I run at the beach!).

So please share all Beach-Hair related tips!

My advice is to wear sunscreen on your scalp! I got burned at my part once and it was beyond painful!!

Also I read somewhere once that you should wet your hair with bottled water before you go in the pool or ocean because your hair is a sponge and if it already full of good water it won't such up the bad water...is that true!?!

Barniie
December 27th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Salt water is a great clarifier - once! I remember I would always wonder why when down the coast, my hair would become so amazingly soft! I think the water was softer there aswell... Thats all I have to say!

akuamoonmaui
December 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Protect your hair by wearing it up! The sun can be brutal on your ends. Also, what fries my hair the fastest is being wind blown, next is salt water (too much).

I usually put my hair up and then wear my movie star hat ~ it has about a 1 foot brim all the way around. http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd511/akuamoonmaui/40789_1505160862053_1025207404_31422664_6702779_s. jpg

No paparazzi for me!!

lundmir
December 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I wear my hair up, wet it with water befor entering the ocean, wash it every time I go out, and finally oil it every day with coconut oil. My hair remains happy that way!

Also, I don't go into the ocean until at least 5 pm, because of the sun, even with sunscreen. But that's because I don't want to hurt my skin!

Madora
December 27th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Where a white scarf to protect your scalp and hair.

HintOfMint
December 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Wow I haven't been to the beach in so long, I haven't even thought about this. It has been years, and this was well before I started growing my hair in earnest. My hair usually goes nuts in the salty air, anyone have any tips for dealing with that, either as a preventive measure or as a part of recovery?

luxepiggy
December 28th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Piggies love the beach! (^(oo)^)

Braids or updos are definitely the way to go for an enjoyable seaside visit - all that breezy ocean wind makes for big tangles otherwise! Since I don't like to tan, I'm always under a giant umbrella or big floppy hat, which also helps protect my hair.

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I always put my hair up in either a braid or bun when on the beach and a little oil or conditioner on the whole of my hair to help protect it. When ive been swimming in the sea wash with conditioner only also helps and rinse as soon as possible.

FullMoonTrim
December 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Salt water is a great clarifier - once! I remember I would always wonder why when down the coast, my hair would become so amazingly soft! I think the water was softer there aswell... Thats all I have to say!
The last few times I was at the beach I actually put salt water in a spray bottle and sprayed my hair!
I wore a visor so that my face didn't get burned. I would let the water dry and then spray it again.
After a few hours of this I would go home and wash and deep condition my hair. The 'salt' experience gave my hair lots of body and brought a really pretty beachy color to my hair. More blond and less red to my highlights. It's was subtle. I only did it like 3x. I look forward to doing it again in the Spring!

Alexannee10
December 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
When I'm going to the beach, wich is particulary rare :( , I use shea butter on all my hair and I do a deutsh (? lol) braid. So my hair is protected and is easier to comb after the beach.

mellie89
December 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I go to the ocean for two weeks every summer with DBF's family (yup, they're the best!). I always braid my hair and leave a little conditioner in the ends each day before we head out. I also switch from my normal S&C to a CO routine while I'm at the beach. However, I CO daily as opposed to shampooing every other day or every three days.

I love how soft the salt water makes my hair! I get some serious bleaching from the sun, too. I like that look, but it is definitely very drying.

Nago
December 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
-I use a hair protector spray frecuently. I bought it in a supermarket and is very cheap. It leaves my hair a bit greasy but it doesn't matter because I clean it as soon as I arrive home. This is which I use (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_7dQGr3H1yZ8/TEVppr5xMHI/AAAAAAAAAEM/Svg1dpgjwIo/s1600/IMG224.jpg).

-I put a bandana on my head to avoid the sun reaching my scalp and to take my bangs off.

-I clear it with normal water when I go out of the swimming pool or the sea.

-When I arrive at home I oil it. I used to do this because a girl of a shop told me, even before knowing it was good for hair. She told me that it was just to keep the natural hidratation of the hair lost with the sun. And now I use it every time! Mine is a cononut with tiare flowers called Monoi oil, is this. (http://www.google.es/imgres?imgurl=http://chiccosmethique.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/monoi.jpg&imgrefurl=http://chiccosmethique.wordpress.com/&usg=__0PL5e5EbmnGnHSU5LTSb3k4oYz4=&h=400&w=378&sz=17&hl=es&start=0&sig2=rd4ZRcOwKTELgV2zzRe3bw&zoom=1&tbnid=ZJnj3cQ6Es5QsM:&tbnh=153&tbnw=145&ei=H18aTdq_Mcqy8gOLq92FBw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmonoi%2Bthe%2Btahiti%26um%3D1%26hl%3D es%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D653%26tbs%3Disch:10,206&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=363&oei=H18aTdq_Mcqy8gOLq92FBw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:0&tx=66&ty=119&biw=1024&bih=653)

-When summer ends I trim the ends.

JuneBride
December 28th, 2010, 08:56 PM
If you oil your hair and then go out in direct sunlight for an extended period at the beach will the oil attract the sun and cause it to burn?

If you know you will be t the beach or pool the next day maybe you should oil the night before to let it absorb?

What oil is best for beach time
Olive ,
Coconut???

JuneBride
January 12th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Anyone going away to a warmer climate this winter?

geosangel
January 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
living in Florida, I go to the beach quite a bit. Before I was a member here, I did nothing to protect, and, although the saltwater felt great and made my hair feel soft at the time, the damage was clear in a few months. I read somewhere that models that do shoots on the beach will oil their hair with coconut oil prior to going out on site. I tried this method last summer, and what a difference it has made. I try not to get my hair in the water, but the salt carried on the wind that deposits in your hair is (for me at least) just as bad. Coconut oil has been my best friend ever since ;)

geosangel
January 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Also, I have been in a boat/on and in water from sun up to sundown with oil in my hair (a heavy oil) several days at a time, and never had it burn. Just don't do that to your skin! :p

Arya
January 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I always hide from the sun, so my hair never really gets too bleached. It also depends on where the beach is, I think...The saltwater in the Bahamas is notorious for improving your skin, and giving your hair soft ringlets..but also turning it brown?? My hair definitely turned brown when I was there, and I hear it happens to everyone who swims in the water a lot. I've never had that happen before. Anyway, I noticed my hair was definitely improved by the water there. It's never been so soft and manageable and I didn't get a single tangle the entire time I was there.

Malibu Barbie
January 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I surfed for years, I always braided my hair. I always hit the beach showers before I hit the water. The leave in I use has a sunscreen. After I was done I hit the beach showers again. When surfing up north I would get tar in my hair all the time. When this would happen baby oil was always used to get it out. Salt water everyday will kill your hair. Always get it wet with fresh water before you go in. If your not jumping in the ocean then wearing it up or braiding it will work.

JuneBride
January 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
I just used Avocado Oil for the first time today (I liked it better than any other oil I have tried thus far) and I beleive it would work well at the beach ;)

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
When I lived on the beach in the Keys I used coconut oil and sometimes wet it before going down to the beach.
In either case I always rinsed it when I got home and then applied a little more oil.