PDA

View Full Version : How often do you S&D?

monsterna
December 27th, 2010, 08:47 PM
So... how often do you guys S&D?

I try to at least once a week. I haven't had a trim in over a year now and only just now started some LHC habits. I also got my hair highlighted the last time I got it cut, so I still have that damage to sort out. Seems like every time I look through my hair carefully, I see loads of slits and white dots. Sometimes the damage goes up as much as three inches. Not fun :(. Hopefully it isn't like this forever and my hair isn't just crap! :o

McFearless
December 27th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I see S&D as a maintenence thing between cuts. If you have lots of white dots and splits maybe a small trim could help?

monsterna
December 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I see S&D as a maintenence thing between cuts. If you have lots of white dots and splits maybe a small trim could help?

I know, but I'm trying to avoid that until my hair gets a bit longer. =\ It's about 2-3 inches from APL as it is. It's hard to get in the mindset of a trim when it's so short. Not really sure what to do! :confused:

McFearless
December 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I know, but I'm trying to avoid that until my hair gets a bit longer. =\ It's about 2-3 inches from APL as it is. It's hard to get in the mindset of a trim when it's so short. Not really sure what to do! :confused:

I know how you feel. My ends are dry and its been a year since I've trimmed but I don't want to lose any length + I'm afraid getting too much cut off by a hairstylist.

ravenreed
December 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
A trim can only be an 1/8 of an inch. It can still make a difference! I S&D as often as needed. It used to be weekly. I just did one and realized it was the first one since I dyed my hair about a month previously. AND there wasn't much to find. Woot! More hairs with thin ends, or thick ends, which I trim along with the odd split, L-bend or white dot. So hang in there, it will get better.

If the splits are up the hair shaft that high, I would investigate why. When I get splits that are a couple inches from the tip, but the tip is fine, it usually means I either banded a braid too tightly or am using the wrong bands. Could this be it? If so, try the ribbon braided and used to tie off the end. It is much easier on the hair, especially if you use a silk ribbon.

monsterna
December 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Yep. Even though I trust my stylist, I don't think I'm ready for a trim yet, mentally, haha.

The thing is, I only started S&Ding this month since I joined LHC. I don't really know what "a lot" of splits and dots would be. I may not have a great idea seeing as how I've never looked for them before.... It's not so bad that the moment I look at my hair up close I see loads of them. I usually have to separate the hairs from each other to see any damaged ones.

I finger comb before I use my seamless comb. Once it's all detangled, it's not hard to get the comb or my fingers through the ends. It's just the initial detangling that's tough, as usual.

Then there is the problem of me not being able to S&D the back of my hair. I can only bring over so much from the front half of it. Until it's longer, I can't snip the damage at the back, haha.

I've seen some threads here where people talk about getting a trim and the ends feel great. Then, two weeks or so later, it goes back to feeling the way it did before the trim. So then I just convince myself it's not even worth it to bother with at the moment. Hopefully S&D is enough until it grows out enough where I won't mind so much snipping off an inch or so!

monsterna
December 27th, 2010, 09:32 PM
If the splits are up the hair shaft that high, I would investigate why. When I get splits that are a couple inches from the tip, but the tip is fine, it usually means I either banded a braid too tightly or am using the wrong bands. Could this be it? If so, try the ribbon braided and used to tie off the end. It is much easier on the hair, especially if you use a silk ribbon.

Well, If I wear my hair up it's either only in a ponytail or a half-up. I can't pull off an all-day braid just yet (stupid laters...). Thankfully I don't find many splits that are up that high. Normally they are 1mm - 1cm or something.

Maybe I need to clarify? Could some of the white dots just be build up of conditioner/oil/etc?

uwsbottleblonde
December 27th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think I S&D often enough. The last time I S&Ded was almost a year ago. A month ago, I overcame my fear of sitting in a stylist's chair, and she was very eager to trim off an inch, but I told her I had money for only the rollerset I asked (the last time I got a trim, I ended up with a haircut that made me look like a mushroom, so I learned my lesson.) If you don't trim (or plan on trimming), what is a good frequency to S&D or dust?

Amarth
December 27th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I used to every week, but now I only need to every couple of months.

jeanniet
December 28th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I usually S & D every few weeks for a couple of nights, but I don't find many splits anymore. I also dust about 1/8" every month, and that probably helps a lot. I haven't had a real trim in well over a year.

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I hardly ever S&D because I don't get splits. I have a lot of new hair taipers but I perferr to just let them grow out and trim them when they are long enough. Although my ends don't split they do get really dry and fade a bit. Because of this I do a lot of micro trims to get them in shape.

Teilani
December 28th, 2010, 01:37 AM
My hair is prone to splitting. This annoys me hugely. Especially in the winter I do the S&D weekly, typically when I am sitting down in front of the computer listening, half watching something on TV. In the summer it is less frequent, but winter up here is hell on my hair.

naturegirl321
December 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Very little. I used to do it weekly, but then noticed that the final length of my hair was WAY too thin.

Ishje
December 28th, 2010, 04:12 AM
I try once a week, but lately I have given up a bit, because I am not sure if it really works for me.

freckles
December 28th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I S&D sporadically. I've done some S&D three days running now, because I've been annoyed about my splits recently, but sometimes I will go without for weeks. But even after days in a row of S&D, I can always find PLENTY of splits -- and some are very bad, too, five or six splits on the same hair, or whatever. I think I'm just going to have to make peace with the fact that I have very, very split prone hair, and that my hair will always have splits no matter how recent my last trim & S&D were. But, I'm finding it tough to accept that!

If you've had highlights though, you should hold out some hope that as they grow out, your splits will become less.

QMacrocarpa
December 28th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Not at all. I spent way too much time fiddling with my split ends in my misspent youth. Nowadays they're on their own until I decide it's time for a self-administered trim. That decision is triggered by my hair getting in the state where it's tangled the instant that I'm done combing it. Oiling the ends seems to be helping delay that moment! :)

hanne jensen
December 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM
I did an S&D for the first time yesterday. I couldn't help it, I saw a huge split and just reached for my hair scissors. Usually DH dusts me every 4-6 weeks as my hair is very split prone.

Jessica Trapp
December 28th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I don't have an established schedule. I have several pair of hair scissors in convenient places: in the bathroom, by my computer, in the car and just S&D whenever. Long car rides are especially productive though.

:flower:

monsterna
December 28th, 2010, 07:35 AM
If you've had highlights though, you should hold out some hope that as they grow out, your splits will become less.

Thanks :). I've been holding on to that hope now especially. My hair was quite short when it was highlighted, so it's not too much to deal with at least.

Nice to know I'm not the only one around here with very split prone hair, although it's not a nice thing to have. I may clarify this weekend and deep moisturize and hope that feels a bit better!

growing2shine
December 28th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I S&D about once a month. That's enough for me, because I wear my hair up so much. :)

Hana
December 28th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately, only when I remember! It used to be a few times weekly, but now it's more once a month or so.

Imnotarobot
December 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM
What is S&D?

haibane
December 28th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Pretty much daily on the ends and longer hairs, and about a week or every other week I go through the length as high up as I can see. My hair is/was very split prone. Though lately I usually find only one split or none. I've changed my routine a bit and moisturize more and that seems to have curbed splits a lot.

What is S&D?
Search&Destroy mission, it's when you search through your hair and snip off any bad ends one hair at a time.

Deborah
December 28th, 2010, 10:55 AM
How often do you S&D?

Never. Not everyone needs it. I just self cut the bottom a couple times a year and all is well. If I have any splits I never see them.

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I very rarely s&d as it drives me nuts and sends me cross eyed, saying that I may have to start as I am on a no trimming venture in 2011, hopefully I shouldnt see too many splits; though I am prone to them due to having fine hair but I am noticing less maybe due to henna?

Mírien
December 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM
S&D was part of my pre-LHC routine without knowing the name of it. :p Actually, I used to do it on those days when I was depressed, hated my hair and thought it looked awful. After joining LHC I realized that my ends are in quite a good condition and splits are hidden in the length... I figured out that the damage is due to wearing ponytails most of the time and combing it without patience when tangled. :( Due to a thorough S&D and two months of better hair care, now I only S&D occasionally.

Carrie Ingalls
December 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Usually not very often, but I have recently obtained a pair of hair cutting scissors and I have done quite a bit of S&D over this break from school. However, I predict that I won't really be doing much during the semester. Also I don't think the amount that I have trimmed out is unusual considering that I have never *really* done intense S&D with real scissors before now. I think my hair is less tangly now, but that could just be in my head.

Imnotarobot
January 1st, 2011, 12:44 PM
Search&Destroy mission, it's when you search through your hair and snip off any bad ends one hair at a time.

thank you!

owlathena
January 2nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
About once a week

rosek
January 2nd, 2011, 04:55 AM
Definately not often enough!
I find it really strains my eyes :(

katha
January 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM
Definately not often enough!
I find it really strains my eyes :(

Same here. I do it rarely, and I found I prefer trims of just a few mm using feyes method.

Pierre
January 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM
I used to every week, but now I only need to every couple of months.
Me too. I snip tangles in the shower, if they're close to the ends, and hardly get any splits anymore.

x0h_bother
January 2nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
After flat ironing, in my carlight, in my officelight. And then I pull my split ends throughout the day which is the worst habit ever. But I would say a few times a week.

Izae
April 19th, 2011, 03:15 AM
The thing is, I only started S&Ding this month since I joined LHC. I don't really know what "a lot" of splits and dots would be. I may not have a great idea seeing as how I've never looked for them before.... It's not so bad that the moment I look at my hair up close I see loads of them. I usually have to separate the hairs from each other to see any damaged ones.

Then there is the problem of me not being able to S&D the back of my hair. I can only bring over so much from the front half of it. Until it's longer, I can't snip the damage at the back, haha.

That's pretty much what my problem is at the moment. I've never looked for splits before, so now I don't know what I'm looking for, plus my hair's so short I can barely reach the hair on the sides of my head properly, let alone at the back.
I'm gonna try the twisted strand self dust in the mirror, see how well that goes.

Thing is, I have loads of sticking out frizz and hairs, which I'm sure is damage, right up near my roots, like only a few inches from the roots! I don't know if S&D'ing will even help.

ashke50
April 19th, 2011, 03:22 AM
I did my first S&D about a month ago, and there was loads to snip. I did another the next day, when I found a whole bunch more. I then exercised considerable self restraint and told myself not to do another one for 4 weeks, and then pretty much had my hair up every day since (partly so I wouldn't notice the splits). Yesterday I took my hair down and got out the scissors, but I only found about 3 or 4 split ends!
I don't know whether that is because I have been wearing it up so much recently, or whether I would normally only have a few more after a month.

kouran
April 19th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I rarely S&D. I never have split ends, and only had white dots once, when I did not trim my hair for two years. When these appear, I know it is time for me to trim it. Sometimes I get tight nots in one hair, that are impossible to remove so I S&D then.

Mesmerise
April 19th, 2011, 04:23 AM
I have always been a bit of an S&Der...even before I knew what it was ;) I'd see a split in my hair and then sit in a conveniently lit location with a pair of scissors snip snip snipping away!

I actually haven't done it for awhile, as last time I didn't find many. I guess that means all the blonde is out of my hair? (I couldn't tell where it ended as it was dyed over :p) When I had the blonde foils I often got splits and white dots, but they've diminished a lot, and now I'll find the occasional split just looking at my hair, but not as often.

Usually when I S&D lately it's on a warm day outside in the sunlight, as my house doesn't have enough natural light to do it properly! I guess this means I won't do it much during winter, and then when summer rolls around again I'll have plenty of splits to trim! (Well, hopefully not that many!

I'm torn really...I mean...I want no damage...BUT...I love to S&D! It's soooo satisfying!! Of course, when I had lots of splits and white dots I couldn't stand it and always went and had a couple of inches trimmed off!

ashke50
April 19th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I'm torn really...I mean...I want no damage...BUT...I love to S&D! It's soooo satisfying!!
I know what you mean! I was pleased yesterday, when I had barely any splits, but also a little bit disappointed!

dinnee
April 19th, 2011, 04:31 AM
In an not very well lit house, it's easiest to place a black shirt in your lap and then hold your hair over it. The contrast really helps. :)

I S&D once a week at least, or whenever I feel like it. My hair is very brittle and breakable (multi dye jobs, heat damage, the works...) so for the next couple of years, until the healthy hair grows in, I've got a nice S&D job. ;)

Oh I've been wearing my hair up daily for 3 months now and it makes a lot of difference. The amount of splits has been greatly reduced. :D

boudica
April 19th, 2011, 09:57 AM
My need to S&D has plummeted since I stopped using hair ties on braid ends (and I was using the super-safe ones). I now wear my hair bunned with forks or sticks almost exclusively, and it's made a huge difference. I went to S&D and it had been about two months and there was almost no damage compared to the time before - maybe 5-6 split ends total.

Lizbeth
April 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
When I think about it I do S&D, maybe once each month. I always depresses me and I need to say to myself all the time: "It's normal zu have a few damaged hairs. It is REALLY normal."

louisemg82
April 19th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I used to S & D about once a month; however, since quitting the chemicals and becoming a henna head I have not found more than 3 split ends in total in the last year - and I've been looking! I still look but I've not had to trim anything in my S & D missions for the last 6 months. Henna's not for everyone but I truly amazed by what it's done for my hair.

Chetanlaiho
April 20th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Honestly whenever I have time, good scissors and proper light, I'll paw through it quickly to see if I can find some xD I do more extensive ones about once a week.

Phexlyn
April 20th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I hate S&D, it makes me sad because I have soooo many split ends I could go on snipping them forever. Every once in a while I'll S&D my braid or my ends, but I stop before I get too depressed about it. My hair's just too fragile :(

I know S&D would probably help with the overall problem, but the fact is, is thins my hair out so much that it looks worse after multiple S&Ds than if I had just left it alone and then I don't like my hair anymore. I try to grow the splits out by doing trims on the hemline instead.

Fufu
April 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I just did my first S&D, haven't been trimming my hair for almost a year, i felt my ends are happier :)

QMacrocarpa
April 20th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Never. Trims only. It would make me crazy, and I speak from (many years ago) experience.

Sundial
April 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I do the 'S' daily :o it is overkill because there is hardly any 'D' going on, but I am obsessive like that :rolleyes:

NotInPortland
April 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I don't realy do it but only because I don't have any decent scissors...if I did I would do it fairly regularly because my hair is prone to splits it seems!

Sunny_side_up
April 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I rarely do it, though yesterday twirled my hair & came across a split, ran for the scissors:D didn't look for any more though. I have pretty regular hem trims, but got me thinking about how my shorter ends are coping, then got me thinking about some fresh layers!;)

TheBluffs
April 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM
When I see a pair of siccors, and I see my hair.

ashke50
April 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Hmm, I S&Ded again today and found more splits than I did yesterday. Hoping I was just being unobservant yesterday, and not that it somehow split that much in 24 hours!

Siaraven
April 25th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I actually think i am OCD with this. If i see one it has to come out! I would say i S&D every day fo a minimum of half an hour... My hubby is suprised i have any hair left at all! Me too come to think of it...

alwayssmiling
April 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I actually think i am OCD with this. If i see one it has to come out! I would say i S&D every day fo a minimum of half an hour... My hubby is suprised i have any hair left at all! Me too come to think of it...

Be careful you don't strain your eyes! I get terrible headaches if I S&D too much :(.

dulce
April 25th, 2011, 12:08 PM
1 used to do it when younger but now as 1'm older my close up vision has gotten poor-even reading glasses aren't enough to properly see the small hair ends-anyone else have this problem and found a solution?