PDA

View Full Version : Where is hip length exactly?

DuckyDot
December 27th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Is hip length the top of that bone in your side? (The hip bone?!) Or where the top half of your body becomes the lower half of your body?

Sorry - I'm clueless! :o

myria
December 27th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I don't know what others would say, but I'd say it's at your hip bone :)

MissManda
December 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Yes, hip length is where your hip bones are. I occasionally have arguments with people because they think that what we call hip is "waist" length. lol

torrilin
December 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Think of it as LHC-speak for "no really, anyone who saw your hair down would say it was waist length because your hair at least touches and probably totally covers your waistband". People who don't have very long hair don't have a real clear idea of how long it takes to reach a particular length, so the difference between natural waist and hip wouldn't seem like a big deal to them.

Unless you're very wedded to a particular look in your goals, I wouldn't really worry about it.

sedonia
December 27th, 2010, 06:30 PM
The way the term "hip" is used here, it refers to the top of the hip bone, or iliac crest.

It is confusing because the hip bone is big; the top (iliac crest) is a long way from the bottom (bottom of the pubis).

It is confusing to me because when I think "hip" I think of the actual joint, which is is somewhere in the middle.

"Tailbone" is confusing too -- it seems like the marker for tailbone is in fact not the tailbone, but the sacrum.

see_turtle
December 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I think of hip as where the bone is ...mine is hard to feel but I know its under there somewhere.

McFearless
December 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Its hard to measure hip length based on hipbones on women because of breasts. From the back I'd say hip length is right above er....the butt crack.

heatherovka
December 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM
For the sake of measuring hair length, I would think it would be at the hip bone.

However, your question really made me think, because for sewing clothes I have always measured hip at the widest part - which for me is not too near my hip bones, but lower, like the top of my thigh bones and around the biggest part of my butt. I think most people here, when measuring hair, would consider that tailbone? :confused: I dunno.

Funny, I hadn't given it much thought before, but that's a really good question!

DuckyDot
December 29th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks all! I guess hip really depends on the person and what your using it for! But for my hair i'll measure it as hip bone...

ETA: Sedonia : Yes! Tailbone is another confusing one! It's either the sacrum or the other part (which I don't know the name of) Helpful aren't I? Not.

spidermom
December 29th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I think of hip as where my body curves outward at the sides.

Pierre
December 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
The tailbone is the coccyx (which means cuckoo). It's the tip of the spine and the bones fused with it. The sacrum is the part of the spine between and attached to the hip bones; the tailbone sticks down between them.

When measuring the body for pants, the hip is the widest girth below the waist, which I think is the trochanter, not the iliac crest. The trochanter is the top end of the femur opposite the ball of the hip joint.

Trick question: How far is Tarsus from Ilium? Either one's in the foot and the other's in the hip, or they're both in Turkey.:D

DuckyDot
December 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
So were exactly is it on the body? How could I find it? Is it far above your butt? ( :D ) All the long words are confusing!

I'm very Clueless :P

sibiryachka
December 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
This thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4906&highlight=diagram

contains both a link to some photos of the various lengths (post #2) and a diagram (post #6) that I find very helpful.

The explanation of hip length in the photos shows why no one is entirely sure where hip is: "Hip length is at the front hip bones and for some will fall half way in between waist and tailbone. For others it might be very nearly at tailbone length." What's on the diagram is a pretty good match with my own definition - just above the widest part of the hips.

DuckyDot
December 29th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks sibiryachka!

sibiryachka
December 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Any time! :)

luxepiggy
December 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I use what in fashion is known as the "high hip" level.

I know I've mentioned this in other threads on the subject, but here's the issue I have with the diagram: it always seems to me that it shows the wrong side of the person! I needed to see the levels from the back, where my hair actually is! (^(oo)^)

So, I have marked up a facing-away photo with my own landmarks (^(oo)^)v
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/LENGTHS.jpg

julliams
December 29th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Ok, I always thought tailbone came before hip but I can see that I was wrong. That diagram I was thinking is in the thread link posted above. Thanks for that - I'll bookmark it.

Silverdragn7385
April 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Oh wow. According to luxepiggy's guide, I made my goal and didn't know it!!! :D I had originally thought that hip length was, like some had previously mentioned, at the widest point of the hip. So new goal for me: Tailbone!