PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Lighten Darker Hair, Help!

BeccaAngel
December 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
my hair is a natural light brown and the colours i put in (in the past) were darker brown and burgundy. right now it still looks kinda darker brown with reddish highlights i guess.

my question is Without Cutting, is there a way to get rid of the red from my hair. the roots are coming in naturally.

I'm just curious if there is a way to get rid of the reddish colour or lighten the darker brown i have from the past dying?

other than using hair dye, maybe natural remedies.

Another question, I've heard about people using dish soap to lighten their hair but it causes dryness and damage. i'm not talking about a regular daily use, just a once or twice use. i haven't done it i just want to know more. how effective is it and how bad could that affect hair?

BeccaAngel
December 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Sorry if this is already a thread else where... i just wanted to know more

BeccaAngel
December 27th, 2010, 06:07 PM
so many views, yet no one says anything... lol thats silly

jaine
December 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I admit that I viewed but didn't reply - I was admiring your signature pic and thinking how pretty it would look in French braids to show off the color variation!! I have friends with hair at that length who have multicolored hair and I love to French braid it for them ... it's so pretty! :)

I'm sorry I'm not much help with the lightening question though ... I have successfully darkened my hair in the past after a highlight job that I wasn't fond of, but I haven't tried to lighten it.

midnightwolf
December 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM
this doesnt really help with the red, but to lighten the brown you could use 'sun in' its not really a dye but does contain some peroxide. iv been using it for years on my hair and i think it actually has improved the condition of my hair (and it looks natural). there are different strengths depending on how light you want it, i think the weakest is mostly lemon juice or something. my hair is naturally a mid brown and its made it quite blonde (check my pro pic) but i use the strong one.

BeccaAngel
December 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM
i dont really want blonde hair, just lighter brown.... peroxide is kinda damaging..... how bad would the dishsoap thing be? can anyone answer that?

PrincessTieflin
December 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
When i was my natural color I had a lot of success with honey lightening.. took quite a few treatments to get the roots as light as the length but it worked :)

Steinkauz
December 27th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I've heard lemon helps lighten.
I've used 'Sun In' before and it turned my hair an odd orange color. So, I wouldn't recommended it to people with darker hair.
D:

Dolly
December 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
If your color was permanent color, you can use something like ColorFix....or Ion Color Corrector.....it is not too good for removing demi color, but works pretty good for permanent color......

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Yoghurt is supposed to be good for lightening hair, like it helps lighten henna apparently so would definitely help lighten your hair, plus its very conditioning. I love yoghurt soaks just shampoo hair and then apply natural yoghurt and leave for an hour and rinse, I also put a little conditioner for 5 minutes or so!

Honey is also a great way of lightening hair, as is olive oil. Oh and head and shoulders is brilliant at fading hair dye.

I wouldn't recommend sun in as it dries the hair over time. Another way would be just to let your hair colour grow out . At the moment your natural colour is less than the dyed bit but it wont look too bad when say your apl length in another year and then just do small trims every 3 months or so to get rid of the dyed bits.

Lianna
December 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM
You can use color remover or honey lightening..there's a thread about it on the natural section, you can't miss it. I've lightened brown dye a little with the honey and water mix, but I wanted to go lighter and didn't have the patience to wait so long/do many treatments.

Since you don't wanna go blonde, it should work for you. I don't have damage from the dyes I use, that's too bad you do from the peroxide (which isn't the case for everyone).

BeccaAngel
December 28th, 2010, 04:22 PM
ty for the advice

BeccaAngel
December 29th, 2010, 04:47 PM
i shall probably just grow it out, my once a week treatment seems to lighten it a little bit too so i will just be patient and leave it be