PDA

View Full Version : help with Feye's self-trim

dropinthebucket
December 27th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I looked through the instructions for Feye's self-trim, and watched a couple of YouTube videos demonstrating it, as well as the one on Feye's site. Looks like a good method to trim your own hair.

But it also looks like you need to take rather a lot off, what with two or three different cutting stages to get the right shape. In all the videos it looks like a good 2- 4 inches are coming off.

I'm going for a U. I only want to dust, though (on Feb. 18th! I'm planning ahead, figuring out how to do it, LOL). So I'm only looking at taking off maybe a 1/4 inch max. Don't quite see how to do that with this method, am I missing something? Has anyone dusted with this method? Is there a better dusting method? All advice very much appreciated! I don't wanna botch it!

chrissy-b
December 27th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I have dusted with this method and managed to take off only 1/2 inch at other times. Just trim a small amount during each one of the steps instead of the inches that the video shows.

Madora
December 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Dusting is not the same as trimming, as I understand it. Dusting is to remove split ends.

You could use Feye's method to trim just a smidgen. Just pull the ponytail holder down until you have a very short tassel left at the end, follow her directions, and just cut off a slight bit. Be sure your scissors are sharp!

Anywhere
December 27th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I use this method, you do not need to cut off inches at every step. Heck, I don't even cut off a full half inch by the time I'm done. :rolleyes:

Its the general method, not the actual inches, that matters. Whether you cut 1/4" or 5", it will be the same shaped cut.

jaine
December 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM
If you are going from a straight-across hem to a U-shape then your 1st cut will take more off (more hair will come off the sides to create the U-shape). Similarly if you have a deep V or a deep U and you're trying to create a shallow U, the first cut will take more off the middle.
But once you have the U-shape you like, you can use the same cutting strategy but only take a tiny amount off everything.

lapushka
December 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
For a slight trim, just skip to the last step where you need to pull down the ponytail holder. No U-shapes or V-shapes, though, in that case.

You could maybe do a U by skipping to the last step, then pulling the sides to the front, and by slightly trimming the edges a little shorter. You do have to know what you're doing in that case (kinda), so I'd stick to Feye's way.

Yes, you get length taken off two times, but if you don't trim that often, it's not bad. For a decent U back when I had BSL, I had half an inch taken off (about 1/4 inch on both steps). I had a slight U-shape.

dropinthebucket
December 31st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Ah, ok - I think I have a very deep U right now, and that's why it looks like I'll have to take a lot off to trim everything. I do want to soften the U - which will mean taking off only from the middle back if I want to trim less than an inch. Sadly, it's the hair at the sides that's in the worst shape, from pre-LHC curling irons! Guess I will have to patiently wait for it to grow. Thanks all for great advice!