PDA

View Full Version : Oily hair

aggie_deirde
December 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I have very oily hair and I must wash them every other day and even the day after I wash them they look like sh*t!Could anyone please help me to deal with this problem?:confused:

Bast
December 27th, 2010, 09:00 AM
How are you washing your hair?

I actually have the same problem as you, but I've learned a couple tricks that work for my particular situation.

One: shampoo and conditioner. I do have to use sulfates and cones, going all natural doesn't work for my hair and actually caused issues with my hair and scalp.

Two: CWC, but only put conditioner on the length from the ears down, and only shampoo the scalp and first inch or so. The only time that conditioner makes it close to my scalp is the first wash after a hot oil treatment, and even that is followed by shampoo.

Three: drying. I have found that if I put my hair up while my scalp and the first couple inches are even damp, it starts to look greasy faster. I let it dry completely, and don't care about how dry the length is, since that isn't the issue, my scalp is. If need be, I will use a blowdryer on a cool setting to help my scalp dry.

Four: extra products. For my scalp, the only one that exists is a hot oil treatment once a month. I'll put shine serums, leave-ins, oils, on the length - again, only from the ears down - but never higher up.

It will take some trial and error to find the products and habits that work best for you. I'm one of those who is willing to accept a couple days of grease before washing it again, between pulling it back tight the first day, and putting it under a bandanna the second. It may also simply be that you do need to wash your hair more often than many people here - there is nothing wrong with that. You can also try stretching your washes with doing some WO rinses.

GoddesJourney
December 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I had an unbelievably oily scalp my whole life. I switched to a less harsh shampoo for awhile and my hair got better because I was still able to wash daily. Eventually, I found that missing a wash wasn't as horrible as it used to be. I started conditioner only washing after a few months. I'm the type that really should wash daily, but I like to wash with things that don't strip my hair or scalp. I shampoo lightly maybe once a week now with a mild shampoo and CO the rest of the time. I CO twice if I have to.

The theory here is that drying out your hair with shampoo all the time causes your scalp to react by becoming more oily. If you stop stripping the oil from your scalp, it will eventually become less oily. I thought I was an exception to this because I tried to start stretching washes, like most people here talk about. That was too extreme for me and my scalp overreacted leaving me with horrible dandruff for months. Switching to a mild shampoo first was an excellent middle step and it worked out great without shocking my scalp.

I agree with the above poster about products. They don't belong on your scalp.

Vorvolaka
December 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
It's just trial and error unfortunately. I got good results from CWCing every second night and did that for years up until I started just shampooing with some coconut oil added every second night. That is still a WIP and I don't know if I'll keep it up long term as of yet, I'm having excess oil issues. I do give my scalp a break now and then and leave it three or four days when I know I'm not going anywhere.

I'm also reiterating the 'no products near the scalp' thing that others above me have said. It just doesn't work for me, apart from a bit of hairspray if my hair really needs is.

I also find that not touching and playing with my hair helps it. It's pretty noticeable the next day if I've been practising braiding or something, even with clean hands.

aggie_deirde
December 28th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks to all of you!I CWC every other day,the condisioner never reaches my roots,I use cones because I don't have the money to buy all that organic stuff(I'm just 16).I guess I have to admit that my hair is very oily and I will have to wash it offten.I will try WO in between washes.Thanks again!:eek:

aggie_deirde
December 29th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I I shampoo lightly maybe once a week now with a mild shampoo and CO the rest of the time.

Could you please suggest me a good cheap brand?

maus
December 29th, 2010, 05:49 AM
If you are 16, it might be hormonal, too. I don't have any solution for hormones that went hay-wire (I wish I had, hahahaa), but just something to keep in mind and look forward to - it will probably get better once you are done with puberty. Until then, I second what has been said so far. And don't feel bad if you are not using the "good stuff" - what is commonly recommended might not work for everybody. We all do what works best for us. For some that's SLS, cones and washing every day. Hang in there!

aggie_deirde
December 29th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Thank you!I hope it gets better!