PDA

View Full Version : Almost disaster...



hanne jensen
December 27th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I wore my hair down on Xmas Day. We had a lot of guests, a few drinks after dinner and some dancing. When I got up yesterday morning I discovered a 2 inch wide lock of hair glued together with CANDLE WAX! :eek: Somehow or other my hair came in contact with hot candle wax from our tea lights.

I did manage to wash it out of my hair, so no problem there. However, I'm still rather shaken. What if that tea light was still lit? I'd be in the burn ward now.

I have learned my lesson and will NEVER wear my hair down again to a party!

fleurinc
December 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM
A girl I work with once lit her hair on fire by catching it on a votive at a table (we work at a restaurant.) It kind of just singed the ends and didn't ignite her whole head, I don't even know if she lost an inch...On the other hand a friend's little sister recently burned her bangs off by accident because she used hair spray by an open flame. That would be HORRIFYING!!!

Glad you're okay!

Vorvolaka
December 27th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I've singed my hair as well, by a massive bonfire rather than a candle though!

LaurelSpring
December 27th, 2010, 09:04 AM
How terrible! I will remember to be more careful if candles are around. I have had to be extra careful now that I am using the woodstove.

Avvoltoio
December 27th, 2010, 09:50 AM
you are lucky hanne jensen
I remember i had almost disaster about burning my hair too at camp fire :)
Me and my friends were drunk, and we made some meal over the fire, this picture one of my profile one about making it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6530&pictureid=87193

so my hair was down, and i often bended forward, and in this moments everybody feared i will burn my hair. Fortunately not happend problem, but i would not be that brave and idiot again next time.

embee
December 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Good fortune smiles on you! :)

I guess there's a practical reason buns and little caps were so popular in the olden days when woodstoves or fireplaces were the main heating and cooking places. Yikes.

MilknHoney
December 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
That would be horrifying, to find the wax (evidence) the next day!

We nearly had a singe-ing ourselves at dinner - my 6 year old daughter has "BSL" hair (well, what would be bra-strap length, given that she's six :p), which she prefers to wear loose. She decided to try to blow out the taper candles after dinner. Of course she leaned right over a burning candle to do it, tipped it half over, hair swinging around, etc.

Ishje
December 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I am glad you did not get hurt! good thing there are many great updo's for party's.

Panth
December 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM
In my experience, hair only goes up in a flame if it's full of hairspray. Otherwise it smoulders and you see/smell it and snuff it out before any damage is done.

Had a stupid friend who, for a while, seemed to think it was hilarious to spark lighters behind people's heads...

Dragon
December 28th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I am glad you are ok and managed to get the wax out. I am defiantly going to start being more careful now after reading this.

LovelyL
December 28th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Burning hair really *stinks* so especially with a little flame like a tealight, you'd definitely smell it before it came to you ending up on a burn ward. On bonfire on the other hand! Oh dear!

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I have a very overactive sense of smell so I burn scentes candles a lot and have gotten wax in my hair more than once. I find it is a lot eaiser to get out than toothpaste or food. :)

Sinisiew
December 28th, 2010, 02:17 AM
I'm just curious as to how you got the wax out, glad you're ok!

luxepiggy
December 28th, 2010, 03:39 AM
OMG!! This is exactly why I'm always paranoid whenever there are candles around!! ( ' (oo) ' )

hanne jensen
December 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for your support!

Sinisiew, I held that lock of hair between my fingers and rinsed under very hot water in the kitchen. Then with dripping hair ran into the bathroom to put some poo on my hair. While DH was laughing, I then ran back to the kitchen and rinsed the poo out of my hair under VERY hot water. What don't we do in a panic?

I have learned my lesson and managed to save my hair. NEVER again will I wear my hair down to a party.

My hair has learned its lesson. For the past 2 months my hair has protested being put up. Every day was a battle to put it up. Now it goes up with no problems... Who says hair is dead?

Timkerbelle
December 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hanne that just made me chuckle :) Not the scariness, but how your hair has now been frightened into submission lol

Chamomile betty
December 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
You are very lucky. I'll keep that in mind also.
Do a few good deep treatments to baby your hair.

aspartame gram
December 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
You're quite lucky! My aunt, at one of our family get togethers, had a whole candelabra that held large candles fall on her head. She had wax all over her scalp and it took her a few days to remove it all. Thankfully, I don't think the candles singed any of her hair. But it definitely was scary!

growing2shine
December 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM
That sounds horrible. Im glad you didn't get hurt, and you were able to get the candle wax out of your hair! :)

thatjengirl1
December 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Woah, scary!!
i'm glad you and your hair are okay!