PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my oil

nereida
December 27th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Hello there!

I have a big problem with my coconut oil. I am very afraid of using it. Once I bought 250ml of Parachute coconut oil. It smelled fantastic - like a real coconut. A few days ago I received another bottle which I ordered on a Polish website - very similar to Ebay. This bottle has 0,5 litre and it's hard to dissolve the coconut inside. The oil smells like an old, decaying fish and it makes me feel weak. When I saw it, it was too late, because I've already carried the oil on my hair (not my scalp). Seems to be okay, but I am afraid of long-term use.

I wrote to the seller and I am waiting for his replay. On the side of the bottle is written that expiry date is 2012. I don't know what can be wrong. I would like to open this bottle to see what is inside (a fungus (?)), but it seems to be impossible - I've already hurt my finger :(

Any ideas?
:blossom:

skaempfer
December 27th, 2010, 03:42 AM
What brand is it, and is there an ingredient list? Is it also parachute? some oils include parafin, and that has rather a strong smell. If all else fails, you could take a picture of the bottle?

Good luck. it's disappointing to look forward to an online purchase arriving in the mail and then have something dubious arrive. :(

nereida
December 27th, 2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it's also Parachute. I think that it's not a problem with this brand, but with the seller. Maybe he uses to keep the oils in wrong conditions. I've already rinsed the oil, because the smell was too strong and I was scared about my hair.

I've also received his reply. He wrote that he doesn't know what's wrong with this oil, because he uses it by himself and nothing is wrong, the oils are keeping in good conditions and expiry date is 2012.

But I am sure that I won't be using this oil, so I asked if I can get back my money... Wrrr

frizzinator
December 27th, 2010, 04:20 AM
The reason it smells bad is either because it is rancid (old) or else there is some other kind of oil mixed with it (it could have been done as an attempt to make the coconut oil come out of the bottle in cold weather).

When the weather turns cool, coconut oil turns solid. Some folks heat the bottle to be able to get the oil out, either in a microwave for a few seconds or in a hot water bath.

I do not buy coconut oil in a bottle because I melt it with the body warmth of my fingers.

skaempfer
December 27th, 2010, 04:26 AM
but is it labeled as pure, 100% coconut oil?

nereida
December 27th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Yes, this is original oil by Marico (Parachute 100% Coconut Oil).
I've never had any problems with my previous bottle - 250ml, but this new one - 500ml is just terrible. It's the same brand, but other capacities.

virgo75
December 27th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Was the bottle sealed?

My bottles of Parachute Coconut Oil had a tab that wrapped around the opening and I had to remove it before I could open the bottles. If the bottle was sealed then at least you don't have to worry about tampering, but perhaps it was a bad batch or it went rancid somehow?

Agree with the others that the coconut oil may be hard to melt because it's cold and turns solid at lower temps.

As for the smell, I've had several bottles coconut oil from Marico and some smelled better than others. Most smelled like coconut with a slightly smokey(bacon type) scent - which I found out was because of how they make the oil, others had a strong smokey scent with a strange kind of coconut scent with it. I still used it and it didn't harm my hair, but it smelled bad. :(

Hope you're able to find a solution. :flower:

halo_tightens
December 27th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I once had a bottle of Parachute that went bad, and it smelled AWFUL. It almost made me feel sick to smell it. If your oil has gone rancid, I know the smell you're describing! It's awful. :puke: