PDA

View Full Version : At What Age Did You Start Washing Your Own Hair

Dragon
December 27th, 2010, 12:49 AM
At what age were you aloud to start washing your own hair?

I wasn’t aloud to till I was 12. I wanted to learn when I was 10 but she would always say she didn’t have time to teach me. It wasn’t until I refused to let her cut my bangs one day that she started letting me wash it myself and I had to learn on my own. I was finely aloud to use conditioner a little after that and I didn’t know you put it on after shampooing so I was co washing with out realising it. I noticed my hair started looking differently after quite a few weeks and asked her why. That’s when I found out you need shampoo. She also stoped washing my brothers at the same time and he was about 13 or 14.

Loreley
December 27th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I think I was 6. When I started going to school I already washed my hair on my own. I was 6 years old when my sister was born and my mother spent more time with taking care of her than me, so I had to do it on my own. I had waist length hair then.

pepperminttea
December 27th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Age 10. I washed my hair every other day, and around the same time began brushing my hair and putting it into a ponytail every single morning.

Lianna
December 27th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I think I was 4, my mom told me I loved to bathe at that age (already did it alone). So I guess I washed my hair too.

christine1989
December 27th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I was around 8 or 9. I already did CO washing unintentionally because I hated getting shampoo in my eyes.

Avvoltoio
December 27th, 2010, 01:54 AM
i can't remember, i was too small, and short haired, so i not needed to take much attention to my hair just use the shampo

Ravenne
December 27th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I must've been around 9 or 10. Don't really recall, but I know were in our second house so that's my time frame. I don't remember making the switch either. I just remember times when my mom did it and then when I started doing it myself. :shrug: I didn't use conditioner until many years later though. I was about 16 or 17 and I was staying at a friend's house. And she had conditioner in her shower and I figured I'd try it to see what it did. Lol. Never looked back and got some as soon as I went home. :p

torrilin
December 27th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Can't remember learning to wash my hair, so I'd guess I took over washing my hair by 2 or 3. Can't really remember learning about conditioner either. My parents both have the kind of fine, straight hair that produces massive tangles, so neither one of 'em will go without. I can remember it being a matter of some dispute about how much conditioner was enough, but they prioritized me actually combing my hair over me being stingy with product.

Also can't remember learning to comb my hair.

When I was 5 or 6, mom let me get a pixie cut, since I wanted one. Ever since, I've been in charge of how long (or not) my hair is.

mireillemt
December 27th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I was probably seven.. that's when I moved into my dad's house. Poor guy didn't know how to take care of hair. I think I understood the importance of conditioner for my long hair early on, though. I remember my father once suggesting that I just use shampoo like he does. I almost laughed him out of the store.

ravenreed
December 27th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I don't remember anyone ever washing my hair. I was expected to take care of myself from a very early age.

Night_Kitten
December 27th, 2010, 06:09 AM
I started washing my own hair at 8 and a half (after I went from upper thigh length to a bob)

turquoisebud
December 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I don't really remember when I started washing my own. All I remember is I would come and and mom would check my hair and normally I would have to re-rinse because I didn't get the conditioner all out! :p

Carolyn
December 27th, 2010, 06:38 AM
I was in the 8th grade. I really wanted control over my hair and my mom and I had quite a battle over it. I finally won and was allowed to wash my hair in the kitchen sink and set it and style it myself.

Hiriel
December 27th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I don't remember, but I think it was around the time I started school, because I remember washing my own hair after gym or swimming at school from quite early.

growing2shine
December 27th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I was about six when my mom would let me do it myself (without her being in the bathroom), but I knew how to do it myself much ealier. :)
That's aslo about that time I started doing my own hair for school... With kitchen rubber bands, because I was annoyed with how slippery my fine hair was. (I still remember the sound and pain shudder:, when I got home from school and pulled them out.:bigeyes:)

nytquill
December 27th, 2010, 10:58 AM
You know, I really don't remember? So I assume quite young. Around the time that they started leaving me in the bath unsupervised, I think they started leaving the whole bathing business up to me. Though of course they would check on me and stuff, make sure I hadn't drowned myself. I remember being asked all the time, even into my teenage years (pretty much until I left home) if I had washed and rinsed well enough. That really got on my nerves after a while!

Though I wasn't taught how to shave until I was 12 or so and the other kids were making monkey noises at me :rolleyes:

firefly42
December 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
must have been really early on for me, as i don't remember anyone washing my hair for me...so three? four? I know when i was four my mother cut my hair from midback length to a bowl cut type thing...

pelicano
December 27th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I think I was about 10.

Naphthylamine
December 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I was also 10. I was at a summer camp that year, away from my parents; so I had to learn.

Becky Safari
December 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM
I must have been around 5 or 6, when I started kindergarten

Ishje
December 27th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I wonder if I was really tought to wash my hair, but I know I did it myself from an early age, I was (or am) the type of "wanna do it myself" kid.
the only thing I remember is my parents giving me the amount of shampoo I needed, because I did not mind using the whole bottle XD

lapushka
December 27th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I don't remember very well. I think it was about... 4th grade when there was sort of a gentle transition, when I wanted to wash myself rather than be washed and was allowed to for the first time. Mom supervised me a couple of times in the tub while I washed, making sure I didn't just swim around in the tub the whole time. :lol: Then, after that, she was always in the next room, regularly calling out to me to see if I was okay and getting on with things. I guess in 3rd grade, I was still much too playful to get anything done in the tub. I would just waste a lot of time playing, soaking, and there simply wasn't always time for that.

bluesnowflake
December 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Around age 6 or so

jtl45
December 27th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I will say at about age 6 when i got my first haircut and went from past waist to a crew cut and there was nothing left to shampoo!
Jim

xoxophelia
December 27th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I also have no memory of anybody washing my hair for me. I was probably under 4 ^^

I know I also had to learn to do my own hair by the time I was 5.

Bene
December 27th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I started showering myself when I was about 4 or 5 so that's when I started washing my hair. I didn't need to be taught, my mom would kind of talk me through it while she did it so there was nothing to learn by the time I stated doing it on my own. I'm actually kind of confused about the being taught thing lol

Islandgrrl
December 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I just called my mom to ask her since I don't ever remember not washing my own hair. She said I was very independent and very stubborn and insisted on doing it myself at age 4.

Amelia
December 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM
At seven or eight for sure.

LovelyL
December 28th, 2010, 06:26 AM
I think I was very squeamish about any soapy water getting in my eyes, so I think mum was quite happy for me to do it by myself. To this day I prefer to wash my hair in the bath rather than in the shower! No idea what age I was bathing alone though... I don't remember it being an issue.

Lorene
December 28th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I was around 13. I didn't know what i was doing. I had just gotten a relaxer and i used almost a whole bottle of shampoo trying to get the relaxer out.I remember my hair was so hard my mom had to come and help me.

teela1978
December 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I think around 6 or 7 is when I started taking less-supervised baths, and presumably washing my hair mostly on my own. By 8 I'm sure I was washing it all on my own... and combing which led to some horrible dreads that my mother would then help me comb out weeklyish :)

HairFaerie
December 28th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I had tailbone length hair throughout my childhood. I starting washing it by myself around 9 or 10.

thatjengirl1
December 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM
oh wow this is kinda interesting when i think about it. i'm not sure how old i wash. i'm assuming whenever my mom stopped giving me baths, which was around 7?

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I was about 10 I think, though my dad was the one who would comb it for me and put it up for me until I was about 12

ArienEllariel
December 28th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I was 8 I think. I used to use a huge squirt of Pert Plus kids shampoo/conditioner back then... all the way down the length, which was really only shoulder. Because I never used a real conditioner, my baby fine hair was always dry on the ends and tangled badly.

Mostly I just remember how much my mom would pull my hair when she combed it. I remember asking my dad to comb my hair mostly because he was gentler.

leslissocool
December 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I think about 4 or 5, I was a very independent child... Plus no one really wanted to do it anymore for me...

breezefaerie
December 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I think I was about 9 or 10. I actually don't really remember! One of those things that I feel like I've just always done.

rosek
December 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Hmmm. Probably around the time I started taking showers, rather than baths. Probably between 10 and 12? I know when I was 12 was the first time I started brushing/styling my own hair. I learnt to braid then :)

Finoriel
December 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Strange enough I can not recall anybody washing my hair for me or teaching me how to do it. So I guess I started to wash my own hair when I was old enough to shower on my own, instead of getting the weekly Sunday bath treatment. Around age 4 or 5 I guess?

But I have vivid memories of constantly growing out crooked homemade bowl cuts, in combination with veryveryvery short and thick bangs... if that counts?
No it wasn't me who did those cuts until 4th grade :laugh: though some moms of my friends assumed that and had some helpful recommendations for my mom about how to keep me from "playing stylist" on my own hair :lipssealed: :p

boomtownrat
December 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I really don't remember when I started washing my own hair, but I only took baths instead of showers until I was probably about 12 years old. If I had to guess, I'd say I was probably washing my own hair around age nine. That's around the time I started to view my hair as something other than a nuisance. ;)

MafiaPrincess
December 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Mine was long enough I could sit on it until grade 9. I think I started washing mine myself around 11ish as it was a lot to make sure it was washed well and conditioned.

Noula
December 30th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Probably around 3 or 4, early enough anyway that I don't remember anyone else doing it for me and being distinctly uncomfortable with my grandmother wanting to wash it for me when I was visiting her at age 6.

sally_neuf
December 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I can't remember.. So I guess it was when I was old enough to take a bath by myself

rena
December 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM
I can't really say what age due to lack of memory, but it was definitely before 3rd grade. I just copied what I remembered my mom do...:eek:

CastaDiva
December 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I was about 10 or 12.

rena
December 30th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I remember my father once suggesting that I just use shampoo like he does. I almost laughed him out of the store.

And my dad was the very first one to suggest to me that I use just conditioner like he does! If only I had listened :(

Yasmine91
December 30th, 2010, 12:27 PM
14 I had to fight with my mum to let me look after my hair myself. I was never allowed to do anything with it, only what she wanted :P

GRU
December 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm just amazed at the number of folks who were in double-digits before they were allowed to do their own hair-washing. I guess I didn't realize just how big a problem this whole "helicopter parent" thing really is?

I can't remember a time when anyone else washed me or my hair, so I'm going to guess around 3-4yo? I know for a fact that I took my first shower (vs tub-bath) when I was 5yo, but showers didn't become my preferred method until I was more like 9-10yo (loved playing in the bath too much!).

I'd guess the same age (3-4yo) for DS as well. We have a swimming pool in our backyard, and by the age of 4yo he could swim the 20-foot (6 meters) width underwater with just one breath, so I wasn't concerned about him drowning in the bathtub (plus, he always played so much that you could hear him moving about the entire time!).

TinaDenali
December 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I started washing it on my own when I started showing on my own; I think I was 11 or 12.