PDA

View Full Version : Henna and hair dye?

Solanil
December 26th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I've been lurking around LHC for a little while now and I've seen many good things about BAQ henna used on hair.

I want to go back to having purple hair in the new year and I was just wondering if it is okay to either mix Fudge Paintbox semi-permanent hair dye (no ammonia or peroxide) with henna, or if it's okay to use straight after using henna? I used to bleach my hair and use a permanent purple dye afterwards, but it caused too much damage so I'm looking for a conditioning treatment that will still allow me to colour my hair and not cause as much damage. My old hair dye used to state that it shouldn't be used on henna'd hair. Can anybody here please explain to me why this is and will this cause me a problem if I want to use henna and semi-permanent hair dye?

I'm honestly just looking for as much advice as possible on this as I'm new to all of this and it's definitely confusing. :confused:

Thanks.

spidermom
December 26th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Not that I'm an expert, but just to get the replies started, I've noticed that some of the henna users around here like to push their hair color in a new direction by layering Manic Panic (or a similar product) over henna.

Solanil
December 27th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Thank you. Are you aware of anyone who has had problems when using a dye over henna?

Also, I forgot to mention that I used to mix a bit of red dye in with the purple too when I used to use chemical dyes to get a richer colour, so that is another reason as to why I'm so interested in henna..

Lianna
December 27th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I've used henna over permanent dye and the other way around too. No problems, but the henna showed a little in some lights (was brown over henna).

BelleBot
December 27th, 2010, 11:29 AM
The main thing when dying over henna is to make sure you don't use hair dye that contains peroxide or any sort of bleach. A lot of box dyes do contain them especially if they're labelled as permanent.
Semi permanent dyes are usually pretty safe, especially things like manic panic/directions/special effects. I use directions over henna'ed hair on a regular basis and it works a treat, usually reds, pinks and purples.

Just remember henna is slightly orange, so if you put purple over the top it could end up slightly brown. So it's best to mix in a bit of pink if possible to help counteract the orange.

Good luck :)

Lianna
December 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
The main thing when dying over henna is to make sure you don't use hair dye that contains peroxide or any sort of bleach.

Why? I bleached out my henna...after the brown dye (with peroxide).

ETA: I did read the article here about henna, and it said it was either grow it out, or bleach.

little_cherry
December 27th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Wait...you want to go purple with hennaed hair?
Orange + purple=brown...

Solanil
December 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Thank you so much for the help and information.

Ah, I thought henna was slightly more on the red side than the orange. Thank you for the suggestion of using the pink to counteract that a little.

I'll be definitely buying myself some henna and experimenting when payday comes around.

lacefrost
January 3rd, 2011, 11:03 PM
I have a question for you guys: I really want to dye my hair purple. Bad. I've hennaed my hair loads of times and because I'm a natural brunette, it just looks black. If I bleached highlights in my hair, would I have to dye them a different color than purple in order for it to show up as purple? Or because they're bleached could I just go ahead and dye them purple like normal?

Avital88
January 4th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Thank you. Are you aware of anyone who has had problems when using a dye over henna?

Also, I forgot to mention that I used to mix a bit of red dye in with the purple too when I used to use chemical dyes to get a richer colour, so that is another reason as to why I'm so interested in henna..

I did it in November to catch up my roots, well that didnt worked:( the dye didnt take as it usually does and i ended up having 2 colors in my hair, one dyed the other not:(
I had henna'd 2 weeks before so maybe if you wait longer between it does take but i dont know.
I'm not even gonna try it anymore this year.Oh it was a semi permanent dye from L'oreal casting with peroxides in it so that can have been the thing.

Toadstool
January 4th, 2011, 06:20 AM
i bleached my fringe over henna yesterday and it melted off...

colormeindie
August 4th, 2011, 09:17 AM
BelleBot, what color veggie dye do you use? Your hair color is incredible! :D

BelleBot
August 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
BelleBot, what color veggie dye do you use? Your hair color is incredible! :D

Thank you, I use La Riche Directions in Rose Red :)