PDA

View Full Version : Making Pantene shampoo work?

BlackfootHair
December 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I LOVE Pantene conditioner. My hair also loves it, thankfully! lol I love using cones and am thankful for sulfates. I absolutely LOVE the smell of Pantene. LOVE it. And even though I love and miss the Pantene original scent, I do quite like the scent of the Nature Fusion and Curly lines.

When I use Pantene shampoo, no matter what variety, it feels great while in my hair. The suds feel fluffy and my hair seems to float tangle-free and silky through the mass of thick, creamy, velvety bubbles. Then, I rinse...and then...my hair feels like...straw. Dry, tangled, exact opposite of when the shampoo was in. Then I put in the conditioner, and my hair melts like chocolate left in the car in a hot summer's day. It becomes the willing-subserviant to the thick pudding-like conditioner. And I smile because it smells soooo good.

I used to use Pantene s&c all the time as a kid. I must not have noticed it at all how my hair reacted other than smell and love of conditioner... Why does my hair react like that to the shampoo? Does anyone else experience it? Do I just need to oil my hair before I wash it with Pantene's shampoo? I really want to be able to use the system together...

virgo75
December 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The shampoo is pretty harsh.

You could try diluting it?

Like put a Tablespoon of shampoo into an 8oz bottle or cup and fill the rest of the way with water. Shake it up and apply that.

luxepiggy
December 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I hadn't noticed that problem in the past with Pantene shampoos . . . however, I've not tried any of the reformulated ones. Did you have this problem also with the older formulations? Or is this a relatively new occurrence?

BlackfootHair
December 26th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I always have this problem with their shampoo. I tried the new curly line when it came out, being hopeful since it had a new formulation...but alas, it was still to drying...

Admittedly, because I love the smell and texture of the shampoo, I do use a big palmful of shampoo. This could be my problem...

virgo75
December 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I always have this problem with their shampoo. I tried the new curly line when it came out, being hopeful since it had a new formulation...but alas, it was still to drying...

Admittedly, because I love the smell and texture of the shampoo, I do use a big palmful of shampoo. This could be my problem...

:lol:

I choose products for the same reason(scent) and do the same thing. :p

Instead of pouring on the shampoo, maybe dilute the shampoo and overdose on conditioner. ;)

luxepiggy
December 26th, 2010, 06:19 PM

*ahem* :p

How about trying CWC?

BlackfootHair
December 26th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Mmmm...cwc would give me plenty of reason to douse my head with the conditioner. hahahaha I could buy the huge bottle of conditioner, and the smaller size shampoo. I always go through more conditioner anyways! lol

luxepiggy
December 26th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Mmmm...cwc would give me plenty of reason to douse my head with the conditioner. hahahaha I could buy the huge bottle of conditioner, and the smaller size shampoo. I always go through more conditioner anyways! lol

Excellent! Sounds like a plan (^(oo)^)

Madame J
December 26th, 2010, 06:31 PM
There is also the possibility that Pantene shampoo is just too harsh for your hair (if CWC doesn't work). There's nothing saying that you have to use shampoos and conditioners from the same brand -- maybe try a gentler, unscented shampoo and use Pantene conditioner both for manageablility and the lovely scent?

RitaPG
December 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
No useful advice from me, I just wanted to say I love the way you describe your washing experience :D I never used Pantene but reading that actually made me want to try it :p

I always oil my scalp prior to washing if I'm going to use a harsh poo, seems to help and my scalp loves it.

And your signature pic scared the shi* out of me. AGAIN!

:spitting:

akuamoonmaui
December 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I feel the same way about Pantene conditioner and shampoo. I just don't buy the shampoo. I've had good luck with Dove shampoo - much milder. Love, love, love Pantene conditioner!

Someone suggested putting jojoba oil in shampoo, too. I've never tried it, but it makes sense.

BlackfootHair
December 26th, 2010, 06:58 PM
There is also the possibility that Pantene shampoo is just too harsh for your hair (if CWC doesn't work). There's nothing saying that you have to use shampoos and conditioners from the same brand -- maybe try a gentler, unscented shampoo and use Pantene conditioner both for manageablility and the lovely scent?

I hope that cwc will work for me...If not, I'll have to settle for using a different shampoo. I do have shampoos that work for me... Ironically, I thought since they changed the formula to contain SLS instead of ALS my hair would like it. I hope cwc will be the answer.

As for now, I have my head greased up like a monkey with the Relaxed and Natural daily oil cream moisturizer. I have so much on my head that I can smell it. :) Mmmmmmm lol

BlackfootHair
December 26th, 2010, 06:59 PM
No useful advice from me, I just wanted to say I love the way you describe your washing experience :D I never used Pantene but reading that actually made me want to try it :p

I always oil my scalp prior to washing if I'm going to use a harsh poo, seems to help and my scalp loves it.

And your signature pic scared the shi* out of me. AGAIN!

:spitting:

Lol Sorry! Guess it's time to change that, huh? :)

BlackfootHair
December 26th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I feel the same way about Pantene conditioner and shampoo. I just don't buy the shampoo. I've had good luck with Dove shampoo - much milder. Love, love, love Pantene conditioner!

Someone suggested putting jojoba oil in shampoo, too. I've never tried it, but it makes sense.

I have wanted to try the Dove shampoo and conditioner...I think it smells so good. Like fabric softener.

lastnite
December 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I find I can make almost any shampoo work for me. I have a few bottles of Pantene that I try to use up sometimes. Just dilute it, only use it on the roots and only shampoo 2 times a week with it. :D

Darkhorse1
December 26th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I love pantene as well, but out of the shampoos I use, pantene is a harsher one. I find it's great to clarify, but I very often will oil before using it or only use it once a week.

I use their conditioners though and have found the flat to volume for color treated hair more water based and has kept my static to a minimum.

anthonyswife
December 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I second cwc. :) I'm using Pantene Curls right now, and what I do is apply conditioner first, leave it in for a while, then use the shampoo while the conditioner is still in. I go through less condish that way but get the same effect as cwc.