PDA

View Full Version : Finger Combing

girlthursday
December 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I was wondering how many of us LHCers only finger comb (or finger comb the majority of the time)? And if you do, how long was your hair when you stopped using combs/brushes?

Madora
December 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I always fingercomb first, before combing with a widetooth comb. After both are done, I brush with a BBB.

adiapalic
December 26th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Finger-combing only works best for me if I have some jojoba oil glazed on my hands. If not, my hair tends to stick to my fingers too much. :) I do prefer to finger-comb before combing or brushing though. I can't survive on it alone though--my hair would start forming little dread twists.

Mountaingrrl
December 26th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I've been finger-combing for a good decade or so, since my natural hair texture changed.

girlthursday
December 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
adiapalic, I might try putting a bit of oil on my hands before I fingercomb one of these days, especially if I'm feeling extra frizzy or tangly!

I've noticed that as my hair gets in better condition (Thanks LHC! :D) there are days I can get by without using my comb at all.

Most days I fingercomb after airdrying and then whenever I'm going to leave the house I do a once-over with my wooden comb. This seems to give me a more put together look.

But I've also found that when doing updo's or just milling around at home, it looks passable to just fingercomb. I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences or gone a step further and given up using combs/brushes altogether.

Mountaingrrrl, if it's not too nosy, what texture did your hair change to? and what from?

luxepiggy
December 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I only fingercomb. Haven't used a brush or comb in nearly 10 years (^(oo)^)v

My hair was probably around hip or tailbone when I stopped brushing, IIRC - I'm not 100% sure. It sort of happened unintentionally . . . I forgot to pack my hairbrush when I moved across the country, and didn't realize for nearly a month.

pepperminttea
December 26th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I always fingercomb thoroughly, then use a wooden comb afterwards (3mm gaps between tines). I sometimes use a BBB just for smoothing hairs against the scalp into an updo, but fingercombing does most of the work as far as detangling is concerned. :)

Browniegirl
December 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'm new here, and I used to just run ( un-gently!) a rubber tipped brush through my hair.My hair is very thick, and errs on coarse, so I didn't really notice any damage, but I have always periodically let my hair grow mid -back and then cut it..No more of that!
I decided that if I am going to grow my hair out to classic and keep it there, I am goignt to have to gentler.I now fingercomb and then use a stiff BBB.I may use the brush once in a while, but very gently, starting at the tips...Sorry for the mini-documentary, everyone :waving:

spidermom
December 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM
My hardwood comb works best. I only finger-comb if nothing else is available.

Medievalmaniac
December 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I fingercomb after showers and if I'm wearing my hair down or in a half-up or a loose ponytail during the day to keep strands from knotting up. If there's a knot when I'm combing, I always stop and fingercomb that out. I have worked too hard, for too long, to just rip those out now!! Fingers are the easiest way to get those knots out. But I also comb with either a horn or wooden comb each day, and BBB about once or twice a week.

Alix
December 26th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I only finger comb in the shower with lots of conditioner on my hair.

I will actually use a comb on my hair every once in a while when I want to straighten my hair or do an intricate style. But I finger comb a majority of the time.

Juneii
December 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I finger comb during and after my shower when my hair is still wet/damp. I either comb at night before bed or the next day when my hair is really dry :)
Finger combing works fine for me, but to get my hair really smooth I have to use a comb.

EdG
December 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I finger-comb, especially if my hair is still slightly damp. I finish untangling with a wide-tooth comb.

Before joining LHC, I used finger-combing exclusively. The problem was that finger-combing wasn't thorough - mats can and did form. My joke is that one doesn't have enough fingers. :lol:

Now I use real combs in addition to finger combing.
Ed

luluj
December 26th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Finger combing only for me. I wash, deep condition, finger comb while very wet, wrap my hair for 15 to 30 minutes maximum, unwrap and no touching at all until the next time I wash.

Kaijah
December 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I only fingercomb, generally just before I shower, and during to work conditioner through. I stopped using a comb/brush around the time I joined, so I was at about BSL.

I'm a curly, though, so combs are death to my hair. xD

Timkerbelle
December 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I only fingercomb. Haven't used a brush or comb in nearly 10 years (^(oo)^)v

My hair was probably around hip or tailbone when I stopped brushing, IIRC - I'm not 100% sure. It sort of happened unintentionally . . . I forgot to pack my hairbrush when I moved across the country, and didn't realize for nearly a month.

I find that really interesting, I thought that with your hair texture (basing this on your signature picture only) and amazingly smooth looking hair you would use something more than your fingers to achieve the finish.
I learn something new every day here.

monsterna
December 27th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I fingercomb in the shower and after it. After I've detangled what I can, I use a wide-toothed, seamless comb. I do both of those throughout the day also when I feel I need to.

pennyroyal
December 27th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I only finger comb my wet hair but in the morning i usually brush my dry hair before i take a shower. My hair is shoulder length. I finger comb my hair whenever it's down, honestly, but that is hardly ever.

Deborah
December 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I only finger comb right after washing my hair, and before I comb or brush it, so that's just once a week. There's no way my hair would detangle and look nice without a good brush.

estherbeth
December 27th, 2010, 03:52 PM
The last, hmm, three months, I guess, I've been fingercombing almost exclusively. I find that I can get tangles out with far fewer sounds of hairs snapping (*shudder*) when I work them out with my fingers, and I shed a lot less when I fingercomb than when I take a comb or brush to my hair.

Vorvolaka
December 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I finger comb to detangle, then run a wide tooth comb through it. I brush every few days just because I like the feel and it seems to smooth out my hair.

Kristin
December 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I use a wooden comb or my wide tooth comb from HairSense. If there are big knots, I stop and get those out with my fingers, but fingercombing alone would not get out all of the tiny tangles or smooth my hair.

Mírien
December 28th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I fingercomb to get rid of tangles. Once I got rid of the most nasty ones (especially after wearing my hair down) I use my wide tooth horn comb to finish. To me this method seems to cause the least damage. :eek:

Yeesha
December 28th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I fingercomb most of the time, my hair gets so pouffy and fluffy when I comb or brush it...^^ But sometimes I comb it before I wash it.
I think I stopped using brushes at around waist length, and stopped combing shortly after.

Panth
December 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Normally now, I use my wide-toothed wooden comb. Sometimes I'll fingercomb out my damp hair after washing, depending on (distance of me to comb) x (current laziness) :P

When I wore my hair down all the time (up until classic) I fingercombed it out often if it got rained on (quite common!) since I didn't have a comb with me.

haibane
December 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I started finger combing soon after I found LHC back in May. Gave up on brushing completely soon after. Even a BBB splits my hair like crazy.
A while back, maybe a few weeks now, I stopped finger combing too. My hair doesn't really tangle as long as I condition and moisturize it enough. The only time I seemed to get any real tangles was when I forced it apart, like when finger combing, so I stopped.
Now if my hair gets a bit mussed up I just smooth it by stroking with my fingers without prying it apart. Got the idea from the tightly curly website actually. :)

Paula Auguste
December 28th, 2010, 09:36 AM
After a short detour to BBB which killed my curls and shredded my hair, I switched to a seamless comb and then to fingercombing. Besides protective updos and milder shampoo, it was the most effective I ever did. I still have split ends, but my overall health is so much improved :inlove: and I am even able to see where I stopped combing and brushing.

I occassionally use the brush to massage my scalp, but for most of the time it is fingers only. Luckily, my hair rarely tangles and if it does, I know it is time for a trim. I still want to try a horn comb to see if it is better than my old comb, but at the moment I honestly do not need one.

Adiva
December 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Before joining LHC, I finger combed for a few years, only using a wide tooth comb to neaten my fringe into an updo for special occations. I now use a wide tooth comb while rinsing out conditioner also and occasionally at other times.

Avvoltoio
December 28th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I use finger combing always, and after i am sure there are no any tangle, i use the wood brush

Jessikinz
December 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I finger comb when I'm too lazy to comb/brush my hair. Then I give my scalp a quick gentle massage to give me circulation to my scalp, that I would normally get from brushing. I only ever brush my hair when I'm oiling it. Finger combing is actually quite nice on my hair. I haven't had the problem of 'mats' or anything of that sort. Must have something to do with hair types I'm guessing? I don't think I can completely let go of my comb and brush. But however, I love that I can easily untangle awful knots with just my fingers. :)

fairystar32
December 29th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I usually fingercomb, When I do brush I have to find the brush as DD has usually had it, or the comb somewhere in the drawer as I use it rarely.

christine1989
December 29th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Finger combing just does not work for me. My hair tangles too eaisly. I'm afraid that if I finger combed when wet I would have to cut my hands out of my hair! ;)

Noula
December 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I've mostly fingercombed for years, both out of laziness and because I don't like tearing through tangles and ripping out my hair. My sister got me a boar bristle brush for Christmas. I'm using it for scalp stimulation and sebum distribution mostly, not for detangling which I still do mainly with my fingers.

feb26
December 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I only fingercomb after a shower, when waiting for the hair to dry (or if nervous). I actually find fingercombing causes more snarls for me in the end (maybe b/c my hair is fine/coarse). Try it, see if it works, if it doesn't, it's not for you.