PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of cutting my hair.

Tapioca
December 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but... I'm thinking of cutting my hair. Here's the situation. I've been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia, both of which cause pain. According to the X-rays that the Rheumatologist took, I've already got some degradation in the vertebrae of my neck and upper back. That makes sense to me, since that's where most of the pain is. The thing that relieves the pain the most is soaking in a hot bath, but in order to soak my neck, I pretty much have to get my hair wet. I can't go to bed with wet hair, or my scalp freaks out. I could blow-dry it before bed, but it takes forever to dry this much hair.

Pros: I could soak in a warm tub at night and not worry about my scalp breaking out. I'd be more likely to put it up, since the headaches keep me from wanting that much weight up right now.
Cons: I love my long hair. I stand out anyways because of my height, but I'd rather be known as that gal with the long hair.

I know that ultimately, the decision is mine (and Cam says he'll be fine either way). What I'm looking for here are opinions and any thoughts I may not have considered. If I do cut, I'm thinking shoulder-blade length. And maybe going red.

jaine
December 26th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Would a heating pad relieve pain, similar to the hot bath? (Possibly with a moist towel between the heating pad and your neck, if the moisture helps too?)

TinaDenali
December 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM
A heating pad is a great idea.

What about a swim cap? Or some sort of barrier for your neck that's not too burdensome?

getoffmyskittle
December 26th, 2010, 01:28 PM
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you find ways to manage the pain. :flowers:

Does it have to be hot water? What about heat packs? I have this beanie thing that I can warm up in the microwave, I use it for menstrual cramps. I don't know what it's called but I can post a photo if you want. It stays warm for a good while (25 minutes ish?), and once it cools a bit I can pop it back in for 30 seconds and it'll be nice and warm again.

ETA: Oh wow, two other people posted while I was posting. :lol:

Lemur_Catta
December 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Can't you have a bath with your hair hanging out the tub, so that you wet only the hair near your neck? It would be easier to blow dry this way.

FluffSpider
December 26th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Try to pin your hair in a cinnamon bun on the top of your hair.I generally keep my hair in a bun during my daily showers/baths, because I'm trying to wash it once a week.
If you DO decide to cut it, and aren't thinking of donating, you could try cutting in increments-who knows, maybe shorter but not the shoulder-blade would be OK for your health issues and still leave plenty of gourgeous hair around to play with!

rusika1
December 26th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Tapioca, if you really don't want to cut yet, what about double braids, wrapped around your head and fastened on top, then cover your hair with a shower cap? The sloppy milkmaid/Heidi braids distribute the weight much more evenly, and they're more comfortable than a bun when you're leaning your head against something. I wrap mine around the back, then over the top where I tie them in a square knot, but braiding in ribbon and tying it would probably be much more secure.

It does seem like a good, moist heat microwaveable pack might be easier to use because it would allow you to pinpoint the painful spots. You could even custom make one so that it fastens in front and covers all of your cervical spine. (Picturing something with a neck band that has a little bit of a stand up collar in back--to reach up to the base of your skull--and a sort of mini cape that covers the rest of your c-spine.) Rice or millet would probably be better than feed corn for filling (less lumpy). Quilt in channels so you have proper distribution, then make a removable cover so it can be washed.

JuneBride
December 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I am sorry you have to deal with such things. I have Lupus and get a lot of pain from it...etc. So I kinda know what your going through. My suggestion...because your hair is Absolutely Gorgeous...and LONG...is to cut just a little at a time...like 2 or three inches and not 10 all at once...because that would just be to shocking to you...I think.

Good Luck
xoxo

spidermom
December 26th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I love soaking in a hot bath, too. I bun my hair on top of my head and if my head sweats too much or the nape area gets very wet, I use the blow-dryer for a few minutes to the scalp area (leaving my hair bunned) AFTER getting out of the bath. (tubs of water and hair dryers do not mix)

I hope you don't have to give up your hair.

patienceneeded
December 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I agree with the previous posts about getting a heat-pack that you can microwave and use/reuse. They are wonderful! We have 5 in our house... They are easy to make, and you can modify them to fit your body and your needs. Most of ours are filled with rice, a few have some lavendar in them as well. I don't sew (incredibly untalented in that department) so I can't help you out in that respect, but I would imagine you could find out how to make them pretty easily online. If you are not a sewing person either, see if you have a friend who can make them for you. I know you can buy them, but they are (for whatever reason) kind of expensive to purchase. Cheap to make though! If cutting your hair if the best option, then start small...it's rather shocking to chop it all off at once. However, try other forms of heat to relieve the pain first...it may help more than you think. It's worth a try. I hope you are able to find some relief. Best wishes!

boomtownrat
December 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I have (relatively mild) fibromyalgia and the thing that helps more than anything is an Epsom salt bath, even more than my reusable hot compresses, so I understand your interest in cutting your hair for that purpose. My hair has never been long enough that it was uncomfortable to put it up, so I can't offer advice on that front. I just wanted to offer moral support, for what it's worth, and say I hope you find a way to manage your pain.

dropinthebucket
December 26th, 2010, 09:40 PM
The good thing about MSM is that it's a great arthritis supplement (especially when packaged with glucosamine and chondroitin) AND it makes hair grow! all the sulphur. :) Worth a try, anyway, on top of heat. It's definitely helped me, although mine is in the fingers. I'm starting to get the gnarled, twisted fingers on my left hand. :(

Shell
December 26th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I also had RA, and I didn't have to cut my hair. I think you should wait and see how things work out before you cut it. There's nothing wrong with cutting it, but consider waiting until you see how things go.

In some ways, long hair is easier to take care of with RA than shorter hair; at least that's what I found.

We support you whatever you choose, but at least give some thought to keeping it long. :grouphug:

Best of luck. I'm PMing you about the RA.

McFearless
December 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry you're having trouble with your health. Best of luck with that <3

I do think that your hair makes you happy, and you shouldn't have to give that up.

Juneii
December 26th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Have you tried bunning your hair up at the very top of your head? That way only the root part of your nape hair will be wet and will easily dry :)

SilvraShadows
December 26th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Because of my RA, I have pain mostly in my neck and between the shoulder blades too. What I have found to work the best is a cloth herbal pack that I found awhile back, it's designed to drape over my shoulders and when it's heated the aroma is really nice! I put mine in an opened zip-lock bag, just warm it up in the microwave until it's nice and toasty, and I sleep with it. I have the best restful night this way, otherwise I wake up in pain all too often during the night.

I hope I never have to cut my hair... but sometimes my fingers act up too and braiding becomes harder to do. I will hold off as long as I can before I cut, and if I had to cut... I would shave it off for grief.

lupiae
December 27th, 2010, 06:57 AM
You should have patience and utilize alternative methods. Cutting hair is not necessary.

lapushka
December 27th, 2010, 10:36 AM
The thing that relieves the pain the most is soaking in a hot bath, but in order to soak my neck, I pretty much have to get my hair wet. I can't go to bed with wet hair, or my scalp freaks out. I could blow-dry it before bed, but it takes forever to dry this much hair.

Most people think short hair is easier when you're sick, because well, it's short, and short is easier, right? Wrong. It's not easier for everyone. You can't generalize. It all depends on your hair type, your texture, if your hair cooperates.

Do you know what it was like when it was short? Will you be able to cope with styling it every time it's been wet, because short hair does need its styling and especially if you're a 2b. Heck, I'm a 2a and styling it short has always been a pain in the behind, for which thank God an alternative exists, namely: long(er) hair. If you have oily hair, you've also got to deal with more frequent shampooing, because it's going to be noticeable sooner, and that will become a major chore when in pain and sick. If it's long, there's no styling involved to speak of, you can air dry or blow dry the bit that's gotten wet quickly (shower cap while soaking), quick updos will be a Godsend on bad hair days, ... I do suppose there is a point at which it just becomes too long to manage, but I wouldn't drastically cut back to shoulder, which is an awkward length anyway.

Tapioca
December 27th, 2010, 10:39 PM
I think I've decided to do the cut. But not much. I'm going to go to mid-back, about BSL. The warm baths are one thing, but I've also noticed that since passing waist, I really don't put it up anymore. It's either in a braid or just loose. I've lost the fun of playing with it and doing different things with it because it's so thick and heavy. And hey, hair does grow. If I hate it, I can grow again. And I'm still thinking of upping the henna content in my gloss to get me from my current strawberry-blonde to something that's definitely in the red category.

Kome
December 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I know it sounds weird... but massage therapy is GREAT for fibrmyalgia. I have a patient who comes in and gets treatments from me. I've talked with others with this condition and have been told that it helps a lot before a flare up.

As far as arthritis goes... I'm always pushing people towards natural healing. Acupuncture is an option if you're okay with needles. It's been around for 5,000 years so it's nothing new and it works. I've heard a lot of good things about it helping with arthritis. I am actually thinking about studying this as well.

So... I hope this helps. If you're open to these things then I'd give them a try. If you love your hair and treat it with natural things, then you should do the same for your body and it will reward you. Good luck and don't stress out about it too much. Follow what your instincts tell you you should do and you'll be fine. :)

Elenna
December 28th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Well Tapioca, I hope that you find relief from the pain with medicine, hot baths and heating pads. So sad to hear about your arthritis, and what a tough decision about your hair.

Dolly
December 28th, 2010, 05:07 AM
I know it sounds weird... but massage therapy is GREAT for fibrmyalgia. I have a patient who comes in and gets treatments from me. I've talked with others with this condition and have been told that it helps a lot before a flare up.

I have a very close friend who has fibro, and she gets regular massages. She says that it really does help.

Tapioca, hope you can find ways to ease the pain.....and BSL is still long.....I am sure you will love it!

Timkerbelle
December 28th, 2010, 05:55 AM
If you do decide to cut I would really suggest you listen to the gals here and cut a little at a time. Another thing (which might be totally ludicrous - I don't have long hair after all!) is to maybe braid your hair and "hang" it from something in your shower as to take the weight off.

hairobsessed1
December 28th, 2010, 06:32 AM
considering it's upper back and neck pain I think a cut would be best. Hair is really heavy- a few years back i cut from mid-back length to just above shoulder and the difference weight wise was unbelievable and you hair looks very thick to me. I think the shorter hair would be worth the reduced pain.

Jemoiselle
December 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I don't want to sound like an extremist here, but I must share with you an alternative option that involves dietary change of all things to help with the pain. There is a way of eating that can help your condition called Nutritarianism or being a Nutritarian. You can learn more about it on www.drfuhrman.com (http://www.drfuhrman.com), or pick up the book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman called Eat to Live. I became a Nutritarian almost two years ago, and it has changed my life and health forever. Before I made the decision to become a Nutritarian I suffered from incredible allergies, asthma, migraines, sleeping disorder, eczema, acne, IBS and back pain and more including lots of extra weight hehe. Pathetic for being in my mid twenties! Within weeks of making the changes, all of these went away, and five months later I was at my ideal weight as an added bonus. I no longer had back and neck pain, no more meds! I was on so many serious medications it wasn't funny, now I am free of them all for those conditions. This way of eating eases inflammation naturally, improves auto-immune disorders, and heals many diseases/prevents them as well. It consists of eating only foods with a high nutrient density, mainly fruits veggies nuts and seeds. There are variations for people who don't wish to give up meat and/or dairy as well but the best results are found on the most elegant plan, 100&#37; fruits veggies nuts and seeds. I sound like a hippie! LOL But anyways, I had TB length hair and chopped it all off, and the pain in my heart is immense. I completely understand if you take one look at this post and laugh (it's not for everybody and I don't know what kinds of things you have or are willing to try to keep it) but I figured I should mention it just in case you are willing to go to extreme measures to be able to keep your hair! It is truly gorgeous and eating this way feels wonderful ;)

I wish you nothing but the best, and believe even if you do cut it you will be gorgeous! Your hair is so thick and the color is so beautiful, I don't think any cut would make you look any less beautiful <3 If you have ay questions about it, feel free to PM me!

Yours,
Jemoiselle

Tapioca
December 28th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I don't want to sound like an extremist here, but I must share with you an alternative option that involves dietary change of all things to help with the pain. There is a way of eating that can help your condition called Nutritarianism or being a Nutritarian. You can learn more about it on www.drfuhrman.com (http://www.drfuhrman.com), or pick up the book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman called Eat to Live.

You don't sound exteremist to me. I'm already researching dietary changes, and I'll definitely look into this one.