PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Bamboo brush??

whiteisle
December 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I've got a bamboo quill brush that needs cleaning but I'm not sure if washing it with water (and a bit of shampoo) will damage it. Here's a pic of it:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1341&pictureid=65098

What do you think?

firefly42
December 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I know you can get bamboo wet because i have cooking tools that are bamboo and i leave them in water and wash them with dishsoap...I would say as long as you turn it upside down (quills down) on a towel and don't scrub it with steel wool or something, it should be fine.

whiteisle
December 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Thank you!!

Dani
December 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM
You've got to be kidding me- I am wondering the same exact thing today! I clicked your link just to see what it was, and I have the same exact brush, too. This is too funny. :p Last night I was thinking, how am I going to get all the hairs out of it (not that many; I usually take them out every so often) and clean all the fuzzy weird stuff going on at the bottom? We can't wet it because it could get inside and rot the wood and I'm not cool with anything that gets water in it and can grow mold of any sort. :p

Anyway, I haven't cleaned it all the way yet, but this morning I googled how to clean a bamboo brush (the Bass website is useless), and people mentioned different things... I took out every single hair from it this morning using tweezers because that was the only thing I could think of that would work well to get the hair out. So I've done that, but nothing else yet. I'm thinking I'll just get some Q-tips wet and use that, and possibly use some white vinegar mixed with that water or something.

I just read the reply above mine, and I agree that it's fine to get bamboo wet, but they won't last long (for me anyway). I've had bamboo utensils- spatulas and big spoons, and they always ended up cracking and being thrown out. :( I also had an awesome bamboo striped spatula (just like our brush) that split a lot because of the strips of wood. So I sadly no longer have those- I loved them! I'm not messing around with water with this brush, though. :p I don't know if I've helped at all.. feels like my usual babbling brook self, heh. But I only use my brush once a week or so.. whenever I happen to feel like it, so it's not crazy dirty, just needs a little scrubbing, but I have no clue what we could use to do that with all the bristles in the way! So, Q-tips are all I've got at the moment. I'll update if I get something done with it. :p :D Just can't believe I came into this particular forum (haven't been in this one for a month or two), and saw Cleaning a bamboo brush- and it's my brush, too, and I had just been trying to figure out the same thing, when I've never cleaned a brush in my life. :p

ETA: Oh whiteisle, it's you! I didn't even look to see who this thread was from, and just noticed, ha!

ETAA: Uh, just looked at your pics and realized that the link you posted here is to your album pic, with my comment in it, lol. Okay, I'm done being a goober. For now. *lays off the caffeine*

rebeccamom
August 10th, 2021, 11:50 PM
You've got to be kidding me- I am wondering the same exact thing today! I clicked your link just to see what it was, and I have the same exact brush, too. This is too funny. :p Last night I was thinking, how am I going to get all the hairs out of it (not that many; I usually take them out every so often) and clean all the fuzzy weird stuff going on at the bottom? We can't wet it because it could get inside and rot the wood and I'm not cool with anything that gets water in it and can grow mold of any sort. :p

Anyway, I haven't cleaned it all the way yet, but this morning I googled how to clean a bamboo brush (the Bass website is useless), and people mentioned different things... I took out every single hair from it this morning using tweezers because that was the only thing I could think of that would work well to get the hair out. So I've done that, but nothing else yet. I'm thinking I'll just get some Q-tips wet and use that, and possibly use some white vinegar mixed with that water or something.

I just read the reply above mine, and I agree that it's fine to get bamboo wet, but they won't last long (for me anyway). I've had bamboo utensils- spatulas and big spoons, and they always ended up cracking and being thrown out. :( I also had an awesome bamboo striped spatula (just like our brush) that split a lot because of the strips of wood. So I sadly no longer have those- I loved them! I'm not messing around with water with this brush, though. :p I don't know if I've helped at all.. feels like my usual babbling brook self, heh. But I only use my brush once a week or so.. whenever I happen to feel like it, so it's not crazy dirty, just needs a little scrubbing, but I have no clue what we could use to do that with all the bristles in the way! So, Q-tips are all I've got at the moment. I'll update if I get something done with it. :p :D Just can't believe I came into this particular forum (haven't been in this one for a month or two), and saw Cleaning a bamboo brush- and it's my brush, too, and I had just been trying to figure out the same thing, when I've never cleaned a brush in my life. :p

ETA: Oh whiteisle, it's you! I didn' (https://bamboo-en.com/bamboo-wind-chimes-bamboo-wind-chimes-feng-shui-designs-for-beginners-2021/)t even look to see who this thread was from, and just noticed, ha!

ETAA: Uh, just looked at your pics and realized that the link you posted here is to your album pic, with my comment in it, lol. Okay, I'm done being a goober. For now. *lays off the caffeine*

Thank you for this advice... :)