PDA

View Full Version : How do you do when it rains?

Nago
December 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I suppose this thread is ok here...

Well, I have a question. Look, my hair is BS length and I have the problem that when it rains, even if I'm carrying an umbrella, the ends always get wet. I can't imagine how the waist-long-hair girls manage to keep it dry.

This may sound silly to you but I have just started to have this problem and I hate arriving to all the places with the hair dripping.

Thanks!

Avvoltoio
December 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM
i have waist length hair, but i don't do anything, i use umbrella, and my hair is down, and my hair is not going to wet ... btw my umbrella is enough heavy for two people maybe this is why my hair and everything except my legs stay dry

Nago
December 26th, 2010, 12:00 PM
I must be weird then. :disgust:

Madora
December 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Just part your hair from crown to nape. Cross the sections in back.

Bring one section in front of you on the right. Repeat for the left side.

Your hair is protected under your jacket or raincoat.
Wear a hat, scarf or some kind of covering for your head.

Nago
December 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I'll try crossing it... thanks

myria
December 26th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Two words: plastic mac. One of the cheap, folds-into-a-really-small-bag ones with a hood. I keep it in my bag. :)
Failing that I tend to put my hair inside my clothes, try to stay in the shade of buildings and run!

Dragon
December 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I use an umbrella big enough for two people and wear a double or single plait. My hair gets wet if I leave it down as I flick it over top of my back pack.

DARKMARTIAN
December 26th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I dont do anything.

I just run quickly to and from the car. I dont mind being a bit wet.
I love the rain.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/playing-in-the-rain-smiley.gif

pepperminttea
December 26th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I dont do anything.

I love the rain.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/playing-in-the-rain-smiley.gif

That smiley is awesome! And I also quite like the rain. My hair's usually up, so I don't worry about the ends, it just means my scalp gets a bit damp, and that dries reasonably quickly. :)

eezepeeze
December 26th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Walk softly and carry a big umbrella?

No, seriously, I usually have an extra scrunchy with me and I do a quick loose bun, not tight enough to leave marks in my hair, but tight enough to keep it out of the way and all tucked either in my hood or under the umbrella.

adiapalic
December 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I twist my hair and put it under my coat, pull my coat over my head, and run!

ancilla
December 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM
When its raining and I have my hair down, I either wear a hoodie (when its not winter) and tuck my hair in, and then put my hood up, and zip. Or if its cold enough I just put my coat on over my hair. I usually like to keep my hair in front though.

littlenvy
December 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I dont do anything.

I love the rain.

Same here :) Since I quit cones my hair now loves rain. Makes it nice and soft. And I only look like a drown rat only for few minutes. :p

luxepiggy
December 26th, 2010, 02:48 PM
This is why we (we = piggies) carry spare hairsticks at all times! At the first sign of precipitation, 2 things need to go up: hair, and umbrella.

This is especially true if it is also a blustery kind of day. Learn from piggy's unfortunate experience: long hair does not play well with umbrella spokes . . . d'oh (>(oo)<)`

Pierre
December 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I usually wear my hair up, so no problem. I've had more trouble with my books getting wet, when I was going to school, than my hair. If my hair isn't held by some hairtoy, it's probably in a Buff for warmth.

I have had an umbrella batwing on me.

RitaPG
December 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I dont do anything.

I love the rain.

This exactly. Sometimes I just don't care about it. I like walking in the rain :D
If it's windy though, I'll put it up in a bun or a braid. My hair loves to tangle with the wind..

Nago
December 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Ok, I will try your suggestions but I don't like rain because where I live is always raining, I don't like having the hair into the clothes neither in the front, and I always have it down. And I have to add that I have wavy hair and it takes me a lot of time putting it straight, as I really like, without ironing so when the ends get wet the waves come again, and I hate it! Hump...

There's no solution for me hahaha Thank you all anyway.

Panth
December 27th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I used to just let it get wet. *shrug* Right up until a few months ago. And regularly ... the UK is a soggy, soggy place. :P

Now I wear it up all the time since it's reached classic and that is (for me, at least) the cut-off point where wearing it down causes too much hassle and annoyance (not to mention tangles). If you wore it loose, I suppose you could wrap it around your neck like a scarf or keep a hair band on your wrist or tuck it into your coat/hat/jumper/whatever...

Anje
December 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hair over shoulder, if it's loose. Though I don't particularly mind the ends getting wet. They kinda like it, and it's generally the wind I'm more concerned with.

daemonwildcat
December 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Rain tangles my hair like mad if it's loose, but as long as I have it up I don't mind getting wet at all. I usually have a spare hair tie on me, or a stick so I can put my hair in a braid or bun if it's not already up.

McFearless
December 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
My hair is usually in a bun but when it rains I put my scarf over my head, similar to a hijab. The weird, hateful looks are worth the hair protection!

enfys
December 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
If you don't like putting it inside your clothes, maybe just twist it into a loose bun or a sausage shape you can lay along your neck. You should find a twisting method that sits happily. I have a way I use if my hair is down when I go to the toilet!

I don't wear my hair loose when I am out but from what you say I think you just want a way to lift the last few inches of hair to be under your brolly. As for how others keep their ends dry, most of us here wear our hair up as a matter of course.

LaurelSpring
December 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention.

At some point if it is bothering you enough you will come up with something that works for you. I've had to play around with a few situations as my hair got longer until I found the right solution for me. The comments from other members were always a tremendous help in trying to come up with a solution that worked.

RocketDog
December 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
My hair is always up, so I just flip up the hood of my jacket and on I go with my day. If I'm wearing a braid I just make sure the end is tucked in.

Sinisiew
December 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I basically don't leave home without a pashmina so I just wrap that around my neck with my hair under it and then use an umbrella :-)

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I use a coat with a hood as well as an umbrella so I have two layers of hair protection. Sometimes I also just keep it tucked in to my coat until I get out of the rain.

milagro
December 28th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Mine is BS length and umbrella usually protects it very well save for a few strands which I don't mind. If by any chance (a fat one with me) I don't have an umbrella on me I just put it up in a bun or pony tail or braid it. Rain can make another problem - frizz :(

thatjengirl1
December 28th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Well if my jacket/coat doesn't have a hood (Thats my first choice)then i will kind of tuck my hair in my shirt. like put my hair to the back then put my coat/jacket over it. Keeps it protected great in my opinion :)

Nago
December 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
This last days is not raining here, but I will try all the options soon and I will choose one. Thanks!!!!!:eyebrows:

Mírien
December 29th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that rainwater is not that bad for the hair? :p When I am going somewhere I hide it of course under hood or umbrella. But... when I am on an orienteering competition and the weather is bad I sometimes get soaked to the skin - hair and all. I let it dry naturally and it feels nice. Maybe a bit wavier but I enjoy it. :D However, I must admit that I live in an area where the air and thus the rain is not that polluted...

Melisande
December 29th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I love getting my hair wet. Gives me loads of frizzy but lovely volume :-) I love rainwater.

A braid and a shawl should take care of your problem. Or simply tuck your hair inside your coat?

bunzfan
December 29th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I usually braid my hair so i can fit my hair under my coat hood.