PDA

View Full Version : 4 years of growth!

Gemma
December 26th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Four years ago, I decided I wanted to grow out my hair again, and this time I was going to see just how long it could get!

I started growing in December 2006. I started here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/s640x480-1.jpg

As I started growing, I decided that my first goal would be hip length, and I achieved that early this month. :) Here is where I am now:

Dry, braid waves combed out (looking kind of frizzy!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3875a.jpg

Damp, dried naturally:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3878a.jpg

My very first French braid:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_0334.jpg

Dutch braid now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/Keller/Hair/IMG_3709.jpg

Now that I have reached hip, I plan to keep growing. Who knows when it will get long enough for me? We shall see! I have noticed that my hair is frizzier than when it was short, although some of this might be a result of moving from England to Rhode Island (humid for three months then dry for one!). I also decided to grow out my natural colour a little while ago, and my roots now reach almost to my chin. Thankfully, it's not super obvious but my braids are two-toned now!

Thanks to everyone here for the encouragement, words of wisdom, and for getting me hooked on hair toys. ;) Actually, maybe I shouldn't thank you for that last one!

littlenvy
December 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM
WOW!! Beautiful growth!!
You have very lovely hair. :)

Speckla
December 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Beautiful! Even the frizzies are gorgeous. Only 4 years? That gives me a lot of hope! :)

JuneBride
December 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Beautiful! Even the frizzies are gorgeous. Only 4 years? That gives me a lot of hope! :)

WOW!!!
You give me hope!
Thank you!
Congrats and enjoy your gorgeous hair!!!

You deserve a LOT of Cheese!!! :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese: 4 cheese for 4 years!!!

castano
December 26th, 2010, 09:49 AM
The growth has been really fast and healthy as I can see! Congratulations!

jaine
December 26th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Wow, that is a ton of growth!! You give me hope because I had a pixie just a year ago.

My hair texture looks similar to yours too if I air-dry it without any products in it... a lot of curly hairs mixed in with the wavy ... I can usually get the texture more even by combing gel through it while it's damp, and not touching it while it dries. But the random curly hairs are cute too!

Loreley
December 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Amazing growth! Congratulations! :D

Chamomile betty
December 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Your hair is a beautiful color. I do think it was cute short too.

GeeLove
December 26th, 2010, 10:06 AM
4 years of gorgeous progress. your hair is beautiful.

LoversLullaby
December 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
WOW! Amazing growth! Looks beautiful :)

redneckprincess
December 26th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Looks great!! You are one of my inspriations from the begining (when I first got here 2 yrs ago)

GoddesJourney
December 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that is what I would call growing. Don't worry about frizziness. I think anyone's hair will look frizzy if it's braided and then combed out. Mine does. Anyway, hip length looks gorgeous on you. Enjoy it and enjoy your upcoming milestones, too.

Gemma
December 26th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Thank you, everyone! :flower:

I get asked about whether I trimmed/cut my hair over the years so I figure I'll mention that here. :) I did trim quite a lot during the first 2 years of growth. In fact, I had my hair cut into a bob shape once it reached close to chin length, and I had two other full cuts as it got longer and the layers became kind of scraggly. After that, I trimmed to keep a smoother shape, which meant a short trim every 3-4 months. At the 2 year mark, it was long enough to start dusting at home, although I did have a proper trim once a year.

I haven't had my hair professionally trimmed for a year at this point and it feels like a constant battle against split ends. I think I will have to relent soon and take about half an inch off, if not a little more, just to get rid of damage.

I'm also going to try a henna/cassia gloss every few months because, after giving up henna, I have noticed my hair isn't quite as shiny and well conditioned as it used to be. I'm always learning new things!

growing2shine
December 26th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Congratulations! :cheer:

Avvoltoio
December 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
wow, beautiful hair and grow rate!

Emerald88
December 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM
That is alot of growth in 4 yrs. Looking good!

virgo75
December 26th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Congratulations!!! :disco:

Your hair growth is really inspirational. :flower:

ericthegreat
December 26th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I remember telling you last year this same time how amazed I was how fast your hair grew from pixie to (then) waist length. This year is no different. Your hair just gets more and more lovely every year!!

Gemma
December 26th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I remember telling you last year this same time how amazed I was how fast your hair grew from pixie to (then) waist length. This year is no different. Your hair just gets more and more lovely every year!!

Thanks, eric. :flower: My hair grows super fast, which is awesome now that it's long but was a huge pain in the butt when it was short! I used to be at the hairdresser's every 5-6 weeks, and it still got shaggy in between cuts.

Gotta say, I do miss having short hair sometimes. It felt so light and breezy, and the spiky do was super cute. Long hair has its own charms, though. ;)

pepperminttea
December 26th, 2010, 12:52 PM
That is absolutely amazing growth - congratulations!

Dragon
December 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Congrats, looks great :)

Gemma
December 26th, 2010, 01:13 PM
That is absolutely amazing growth - congratulations!

Thank you! I love your username, btw. :flower:

jojo
December 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM
wow what fast growth you have and its beautiful

I am only at waist with 5 years growth.

Quixotica
December 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Gemma, BEAUTIFUL!!! I need to drop you a line :cheese:

Shellby
December 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Beee-utiful. Wow. I love the waves. I wish I had that growth rate! Congrats.

Yozhik
December 26th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Congratulations! Your growth rate is very impressive. :)

Happy growing onward to your ultimate goal!

Vorvolaka
December 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Wow, you have lovely hair! Congratulations!

Mountaingrrl
December 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks for sharing! Your hair looks beautiful, and you inspire me. :-)

sunshine80
December 26th, 2010, 02:31 PM
That is awesome! You are a great inspiration!

Octave
December 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Oh how lovely! Congrats Gemma!! :D
What an amazing growth and your dutch braid is so neat, really pretty.

bigred199
December 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I just love to read these progress threads and see the pics. It gives me hope! Your hair is really beautiful. Congratulations for sticking with it!

dainaleeo2
December 26th, 2010, 02:53 PM
WOW!
holy asdfgfds. that is so inspiring! & you can't tell at all in any of the pictures that your natural color is any different than the rest. At least i don't see it. the last braid picture is super pretty. i really like that style of braid.
amazing progress! :) i bet you're really happy. & it doesn't look that frizzy either. the ends are 4 years old so that's most likely why they have the worst of it. but overall it's really not bad. your hair has really nice waves! :) & very shiny!

Medievalmaniac
December 26th, 2010, 03:49 PM
You have had amazing growth! Congratulations!! :)

lw8666
December 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Congrats on your growth! Wow!

christine1989
December 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Inspiring growth! You gained a lot of length in 4 years. :)

SilverLocks
December 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Congratulations, Gemma, on fantastic growth and bringing out the beauty of your waves. :flowers:

triumphator!
December 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Your hair is beautiful, glossy, dark, and long! Congratulations on reaching your goal! :)

lupiae
December 27th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Great growth, fantastic. Really really congratulation!

hanne jensen
December 27th, 2010, 07:01 AM
You have very beautiful hair. Fantastic growth! How did you do it?

utdesertrunner
December 27th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Wow, that gives me a lot of hope that mine will grow faster than I though! That's a lot of length in just 4 years. Your hair looks very beautiful!

akuamoonmaui
December 27th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Your hair is lovely! You are also one of those rare people who can wear short hair (not that I'm encouraging you to cut!) ~ I think it's wonderful that you stuck to your game plan ~ look how it paid off!

indiana
December 27th, 2010, 09:29 AM
That is amazing. Your hair is beautiful!

lapushka
December 27th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Congratulations!

HairFaerie
December 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Nice! Very beautiful growth in just 4 years! WAY TO GO!

CurlyTresses
December 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
:agree:Absolutely beautiful hair ~:)~ great growth progress, and beautiful color. Congrats :applause

Gemma
December 27th, 2010, 01:19 PM
You have very beautiful hair. Fantastic growth! How did you do it?

I wish there was a secret to my growth but it is just the luck of the genetic draw. Everyone in my family has really fast growing hair so I am just lucky. :) there were lots of times when I almost cut out of frustration but I made myself stick with it and I'm glad I did. Just keep going is my advice!

Thanks again to everyone for the lovely comments. I appreciate them very much!

Jemoiselle
December 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Gorgeous hair and amazing photo documentation! I love it! Earlier this year I chopped from TB to Chin (sigh) and am now growing back out like you did! I hope mine grows back as fast as yours! Just lovely, congratulations to you!

ooo
December 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Your hair is beautiful. What an inspiration!

DecafJane
December 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Well done!