PDA

View Full Version : bit of a stylist rant

glitterati
June 5th, 2008, 11:23 AM
every stylist i've ever had has always asked me, after they've scrubbed by scalp to death and combed out my hair WET, if i tend to lose a lot of hair. well duh, when you're not treating it properly, of course!
that's all :)

Isilme
June 5th, 2008, 11:25 AM
well, don't let them be so harsh with your hair. Wash it and detangle at home and go to the salon with damp/wet hair. Don't be afraid to speak up if you think something is wrong, it's you hair, not theirs!

Fillette
June 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
I totally agree with Isilme. Make sure to speak up! Let them know how you want them to treat your hair. After all, it is your hair and you are paying them to treat it right.

spidermom
June 5th, 2008, 11:33 AM
That's too bad. My stylist gives me such an awesome scalp massage during washing that I'd pay her just for that.

There are good ones out there.

PseudoScot
June 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
That's too bad. My stylist gives me such an awesome scalp massage during washing that I'd pay her just for that.

There are good ones out there.

Yup! I don't actually go to a regular stylist, I go to the basic style places at the mall and almost always go with a minimum of damp hair [sometimes I go pretty much right after I shower with a damp bun]. But then again I am admittedly on the super easy side of trims. [Blunt cut, no more than 1"]

It might help if you ask your friends who they go to - or tell them you prefer wide tooth combs, etc.

Lova
June 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Never had that kinda problem with my hairdresser; she's always very gentle with my hair and asking me stuff all the time, to make sure everything's fine.

Saranne772
June 5th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I dont just stylists full stop. LOL

Patrycja
June 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The last time I did get S&C from a salon-she wasn't too rough.I did have a bit of a problem of her washing my ends with poo.I didn't tell her not to though :shrug:

Forever_Sophie
June 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM
My stylist is great w/ washing & scalp massages, however I do need to get firmer in telling her not to brush (WET!!). I casually mentioned that I never brush it and she was surprised, asked why, then said most do "at least when it's wet." omg :(

Chromis
June 5th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Either speak up for yourself or don't visit em. Problem solved! (I self trim since I loathe having to get confrontational on service people...esp ones with sharp objects!)

Gabriel
June 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
a long time ago in a far away land I was a stylist for about a half a minute...

It's funny but almost all of my customers wanted their heads SCRUBBED... I was very gentle with hair (always hated that sound of hair strands snapping) and almost always, without fail, customers would want their heads scrubbed.

I think most people don't understand that hair shouldn't be squeaky clean. Or scrubbed. Or combed wet. It's not something that a lot of people pay attention to or understand really. It wasn't something that I was taught or the other stylist were taught who worked around me.

Definitely speak up and let him or her know before they start scrubbing away. They see a lot of people and maybe it's just not something they are used to. Explaining you are tenderheaded something works wonders as well.

burns_erin
June 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I have been known to bring my own comb and sometimes even products. The word allergies will bring most stylists to a halt. I also use the tender headed excuse as well. The flinchier I get the softer they get.

Islandgrrl
June 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
On the rare occasions that I visit a salon (usually only for my annual trim), I make it a point to politely ask the stylist to use warm, not hot water, and to be very gentle with both hair and scalp because I'm a fragile princess. And yes, I've been known to say those exact words! :) My stylist has a pretty outrageous sense of humor, thank goodness!

Nevermore
June 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I agree with everyone who said to speak up. Stylists work for you. You pay them. You get to tell them how to handle your hair. Obviously, politeness is good, but don't be afraid to tell them to stop doing something if it's damaging/uncomfortable. If that's not your strong suit, perhaps a friend trimming or self trimming would be a better option.