PDA

View Full Version : Spin off -- what LHC suggestions work for you?

Speckla
December 25th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Avoiding heat is the #1 thing that has helped me.

Mountaingrrl
December 25th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Laying off the sulfates and oiling my hair have helped. I was already a heat-avoider before LHC.

EdG
December 25th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Washing less frequently, diluting shampoo, and using high-quality combs worked for me.
Ed

Heartwillfollow
December 25th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Covering for protection being outside working so much in the eliments :)

EmiliaF
December 25th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Coconut oil has worked wonders for me.

myria
December 25th, 2010, 10:44 AM
wood comb, oiling and CO. :)

turquoisebud
December 25th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Letting go of the straightening iron! :run:Also coconut oil every night helps. And S&D.

Bene
December 25th, 2010, 10:47 AM
I'm glad you said "suggestions" :)

Shampoo bars, ACV rinses, and the use of snag free combs/hair toys. Those are the LHC tips that have done wonders for my hair.

akuamoonmaui
December 25th, 2010, 11:28 AM
satin/silk pillow cases, oiling - coconut, jojoba, henna glosses, SMT, and COing with 'poo 2 -3x a week.

DorothyAtForty
December 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Suggestions that have worked for me: Not using shampoo every time I need to wash my hair has worked. My hair feels and looks healthier now. Pinning my hair up and out of my face so that I won't feel compelled to play with it and then want to trim it has also worked. I noticed hair growth of 2 inches since I became a member here.

CarpeDM
December 25th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Applying coconut oil before I wash with CV shampoo bars has been working like an LHC charm for me :)

Druid of Alba
December 25th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Nothing as of yet, I haven't tried anything new, my hair is just at chin length so I don't care to do anything other than the traditional shampoo then conditioner. Once it's long, I think I'll do CWC, and occasional oilings, and also, once my current bottles of shampoo and conditioner are empty (or maybe I'll just throw them out lmao), I want to buy organic shampoo and conditioner.

Madora
December 25th, 2010, 12:03 PM
After much trepidation, I tried the suggestion to wear my hair up in a braided bun on top of my head at night (I'd been braiding my hair in 2 braids for decades).

The day after I was absolutely delighted to encounter zero snarls/tangles. I am one very happy camper!!!:cheese:

Snow White
December 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
leave in conditioner (or just leaving in a bit of regular conditioner)

Clarisse
December 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Trimming my hair, eating vitamins and more protein, and wearing my hair up to protect it.

ravenreed
December 25th, 2010, 12:12 PM
No sulfates, castor, camellia and coconut oils, catnip rinses, S&D's, self trims, good cutting scissors, various hair toy artists, CO method, ACV rinse... The list is endless.

Henrietta
December 25th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Oiling, diluting shampoo, CWC washes, using wide tooth comb, braiding for sleeping, wearing it up as often as possible, using BBB...

PrincessTieflin
December 25th, 2010, 12:22 PM
CWC, CO, coconut oil, wearing it up. HENNA :D wearing a sleep cap

LisaMonster
December 25th, 2010, 12:34 PM
CO, henna, oiling, ACV, hair sticks, no chemical dying or heat.

My hair has been very happy since I joined :)

pepperminttea
December 25th, 2010, 12:34 PM
So many things! Gentle detangling first and foremost (fingers, then wooden comb, and both with care and time). Oiling. SMTs. Stretching washes. CWC. Silk pillowcases. S&D, with proper hair scissors. Hairtoys. Learning updos; so many tutorials here and on youtube have just been invaluable, I think I would've cut my hair long ago without them. And the encouragement and reassurance here is really wonderful; often the only person who comments on my hair is my mother (although I'm lucky, she's very kind and pro-long hair), so it's nice to get some back-up that things do look okay. :)

Loreley
December 25th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Avoiding sulfates, oiling damp hair, oiling dry hair, conditioner only washing, wearing my hair up, using hairsticks and hairforks, self trimming, using a wide tooth comb, etc. :)

Sweet_Decadence
December 25th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Lets see...CWC, wooden combs, going heatless, protective styling, coconut oil & scalp massages (with rosemary oil).

I think I'm might try CO washing when I finish up my shampoo. I might also buy some hair sticks when the weather gets better and I don't have to wear a hat.

ScarlettAdelle
December 25th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Since joining I have essentially stopped using heat in my hair, which is difficult for me as my curls and I have been at odds with one another for most of my life.

sleeping with my hair up has helped tremendously, so many fewer split ends

MrsGuther
December 25th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I have been stretching the time in between washes to maybe 4 or 5 days. I stopped flat ironing my hair>>>>>>> BEST HAIR DECISION EVER. I trim when I need too, which is about once a year. I think wearing my hair up 99% of the time is also a great thing that helps with the whole growing-my-hair-to-my-goal-length thing.

kattygf
December 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
washing less frequently for sure

In2wishin
December 28th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Silk pillowcase, oiling, Yak horn combs

Anywhere
December 28th, 2010, 09:43 AM
washing less frequently, avoiding shampoo and cones, SMTS, EVOO, possibly coconut oil.
ETA: Avoiding heat styling as well.

Irishred
December 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Not being afraid of conditioner (don't ask). coconut oil. gentle combs. non-metal hair ties. cocoabutter. up-dos. hair friendly accessories.

thatjengirl1
December 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
-avoiding heat
-coconut oil
-a comb instead of a brush
-no more dying

:)

baaaad_kitty
December 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Oiling while wet
S&D-ing

LoversLullaby
December 28th, 2010, 10:02 AM
~Avoiding sulfates
~Cone free products
~Seamless combs
~BBB
~Oiling
~Wearing a braid to bed
~Satin pillowcase
~Gentle detangling
~Wearing hair up
~Dusting
~Non metal hair ties
It seems my list goes on and on and on....

KLin
December 28th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I began lurking a few years ago... I was already non-coloring and used no heat. Then I stopped shampoo, or use no SLS diluted to remove product if needed.

Last year I began to self trim, S&D and use vinegar rinses.

Joined LHC in the fall and began trying ideas from the board. Love oiling (coconut and jojoba), CO wash less frequently and bought a tangle teezer for myself and my long haired sons. Wearing my hair up more, and trying to learn some nice updos.

I have been collecting and saving the hybiscus flowers from my and my neighbors plants. Will be planting rosemary and sage so I can make my own rinses this spring.

Looking forward to healthy longer hair in the new year.

wimitlee
December 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Feye's self trimming instructions
Satin pillowcase
Olive Oil on my damp hair
Coconut oil on my dry hair
Conditioner only washing, shampooing just the roots as needed
Finger combing

patienceneeded
December 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
ACV rinses, no-'cones or sulfates, and oiling! I use to use a silicone gloss, but now I just use oil, 100% Argan or Jojoba, my hair likes either. Coconut also works, but smells a bit to much like suncreen to me. :p

Oh, and no heat. It has been 3 or 4 weeks since my last heat styling! :cheese:

jojo
December 28th, 2010, 10:57 AM
using oil has definitely helped my hair, plus not using heat!

akka naeda
December 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Oiling
Wooden combs
Wearing my hair up
SMT on the length, shampoo on my scalp
Cone free
ACV rinse every time

already stretched washes, used ACV occasionally, used henna, dried off drips with a blow-dryer rather than drying the whole lot (when my hair was shorter I'd not use a dryer at all, but it takes too long to dry without now).

Mírien
December 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
1. protective updos :eek:
2. ACV rinses
3. coconut oil

EVOO seemed too heavy an oil for me but coconut oil works wonders. :D Cones caused build-up and my hair is much happier sulfate-free, cone-free.

Lianna
December 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'm glad you said "suggestions" :)

I'm sorry I used the word "rule" that time, but you all understood what I meant...I'm foreign =/ I'm sorry I couldn't think of a better word.

To OP: oilings and wearing hair up.

Avvoltoio
December 28th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Scalp massage, this is which one i got many info how to doing it, from some very nice members on this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61206

Also i readed many more interstting info in other topics, but it would be long to list them :)

brunetka
December 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
shampooing just the roots
conditioning like crazy
coconut oil
tangle teezer
braiding for bed
gentle hair toys (although I do have a few "bad" ones)
henna
infrequent trims with frequent S&D

rosek
December 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Lots of them!

No dying, frying or cutting.
Using oils.
Going cone free.
CWC washing.
Using a seamless comb.

Not really a LHC 'rule', but hairtoys! Especially Ficcares :)

christine1989
December 28th, 2010, 02:35 PM
1. Trimming is your friend even if you have no splits.
2. Using wood combs to distribute oils.
3. Going cone free....most of the time.
4. Protecting your ends.