PDA

View Full Version : Do you break the "LHC recommended rules"?

Lianna
December 25th, 2010, 02:10 AM
I do, and lots of it. I trim way too often (every month), wash with sulfates and cones everyday, wear metal elastics and barretes, brush while wet to do a style sometimes, my hair is bleached and dyed, didn't obey the two week rule (all I can think for now). This is all after I've joined, before I also had chemical straightners done.

Those things we're never an issue for me, and even after I read it is "bad" in here, I continue to do it.

PS. I tried coneless CO for several months before going back (with occasional SLS clarifying.

I guess I'm "confessing". I'm shameless now. :D

ETA: I "trim" 2mm (0.08 inch) a month, so it's less than one inch a year (so don't freak out) :p

Juneii
December 25th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I clarify the roots of my hair every time I wash, I slather on as much coney conditioner as possible, wear elastics and sharp barrettes, a couple of times I put my hair up when wet and hear a few strands snapping here and there o__<

I am sure there are many others I have brain farted on at the moment XD

ravenreed
December 25th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I don't think they are rules, rather they are suggestions. Everyone's hair is different. When I clarify, I usually only use shampoo on my length. That is contrary to just about everything you read here, but shampoos make my scalp freak out and I usually only get build up on my length. You need to do what works for your hair.

In addition, there seem to be two main camps at LHC. There are those who want length as fast as possible and so are more conservative in their hair care to avoid damage. Then there are those who want to enjoy their hair, no matter what, so are willing to take more risks. I fall in the latter camp. I dye, I wear my hair down, I trim more than most. It doesn't bug me if my hair takes a little damage along the way. Neither is approach better than the other, you just need to know where you fall, and plan your hair care accordingly.

Dragon
December 25th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I wear my hair down most of the time and get a little ruff with the comb sometimes.

Lianna
December 25th, 2010, 04:24 AM
When I clarify, I usually only use shampoo on my length.

If that's where the build up is, you're doing it right. Thanks for the replies.

luxepiggy
December 25th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Oh, precious cones, piggy will never leave you again! Hair dryer, thanks for making my hair so sleek & shiny! (^(oo)^)v

And I simply cannot sleep in a protective updo!

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I actually follow alot of the rules and my hair has benefited so much i'm never going back to treating my hair like crap. The only thing i still do is use sulfate shampoo and cone conditioner but i am in the process of looking for a new natural shampoo.

09robiha
December 25th, 2010, 06:39 AM
isnt the rule to do what works for you?? Everyones differant!

I, personally, cant and wont put my styling products and diffuser down! Never I tell you...Neverrr!! I am a product junkie and I cant stand having flat hair that takes all day to dry. Oh and I dye my hair, but did switch to a semi permcolour instead...there are no hard and fast rules. Just recommendations that I dont always take.

virgo75
December 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I've probably broken all of the "rules" and don't feel that they're for everyone.

I've known quite a few longhairs in my lifetime and none of them followed the "rules" of LHC, so I don't consider them necessary or even superiour hair care. :shrug:

Besides, nobody tells me what to do! :draw:

lol

Bene
December 25th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I wasn't aware that hair care recommendations were "rules"

Carolyn
December 25th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I've always thought rules were made to be broken :gabigrin: I comb when wet. I wouldn't dream of letting my hair dry before I comb it. I use cones when I feel like it. I blow dry and use a hot air round brush when I feel like it. I color and high light.

nellreno
December 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM
I'm pretty sure the only 'rule' here is to be nice and not spam the forum or talk about prohibited topics.

Jessica Trapp
December 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I'm a conehead.

brunette
December 25th, 2010, 09:33 AM
All my hair rules are self imposed, designed to prevent scalp issues and frizz/splits. I think the only self-imposed rule I break is in winter I won't go out with wet hair therefore I get my hairdryer and diffuser out and gently blow warm air (not hot! I don't want exploded hair shaft from water being boiled in my hair!) otherwise I never really use my hairdryer. I figure it's far less damaging than going out with wet hair into frozen air outside!

ravenreed
December 25th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I totally forgot about combing when wet! Yeah, I can't let my hair dry with tangles or they will never come out.

I've always thought rules were made to be broken :gabigrin: I comb when wet. I wouldn't dream of letting my hair dry before I comb it. I use cones when I feel like it. I blow dry and use a hot air round brush when I feel like it. I color and high light.

Avvoltoio
December 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM
one what i do winter is blow drying, cause i would get cold if i would not dry my hair on that way. But i don't turn on heat on my blowdryer

EdG
December 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I wear my hair down 100% of the time. :D
Ed

Speckla
December 25th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Ed

It should be against the rules for you to wear that beautiful mane up! :)

I don't take them as rules but more like suggestions. Some good, some not so good for me, and then I do what my hair likes.

PrincessTieflin
December 25th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I comb when wet.. I blow dry and flat ion sometimes (hoping to give this up tho so the Henna won't darken)

I use cheepy plastic combs when I cant find anything else.

I put my hair up soaking wet 70 &#37; of the time

I use a paddle bush at night depending on how oily/ straight it is..

I shampoo and condish everyday.. rarely do the two week rule.

ETA : I am a shameless cone head... and dont really read the ingredients i just try what I think may do well and smells good :)

EdG
December 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
It should be against the rules for you to wear that beautiful mane up! :)Thanks Speckla! :)

I like when there is more than one rule to choose from. :thumbsup:
Ed

akka naeda
December 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I didn't know there were rules, just recomendations as to what might help with your hair, since everybody has different hair, different things work for different people.

So,
I use a blow dryer to dry off the drips every time I wash my hair apart from in the summer when it is really hot and it air dries outdoors. Even so it still takes 24 hrs to dry in the winter.

Consequently I do not wash my hair more than once a week or it would be permanently wet.

I use whatever I find that makes my hair and scalp feel OK, whether it contains SLS, cones, herbs or whatever.

I use a paddle brush on my hair once a week because it feels good on my scalp (it doesn't help my hair because it increases the static, but if I oil heavily beforehand then the brushing is OK)

I never, ever bun my hair when it is damp or wet because that causes splits.

tigr
December 25th, 2010, 11:38 AM
there seem to be two main camps at LHC. There are those who want length as fast as possible and so are more conservative in their hair care to avoid damage. Then there are those who want to enjoy their hair, no matter what, so are willing to take more risks.
Interesting observation. And pretty accurate, in my opinion.

Henrietta
December 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
I use sulphates:D I am not afraid of admitting it, my hair likes it. Tadaaa:)

Avvoltoio
December 25th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Ed

Ohh i forgot this, i wear my hair down always too, but once i made a thread about updo on man, to get know some updo, what is maybe not feminine, and i got many recommandation, but i not started to use any, but maybe i will try some.

ScarlettAdelle
December 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I use cones
I'm planning on getting yet another Brazilian Blowout (or, rather, doing it myself as I'm certified and know for a fact that finding another hairdresser with as much patience / finesse with my hair as I have simply will not happen) which requires a flat iron that goes to 450 degrees
I sometimes sleep with my hair down
When it gets to my goal (mid thigh, thick and virgin), I'm planning on getting an acid perm (or, rather, again doing it myself for the same reasons as stated above)
I play with my hair constantly
Occasionally I let my dog roll in it a little because she absolutely loves to (not very often, perhaps once every couple months)

MrsGuther
December 25th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I use sulfate shampoo, and coney conditioners, and my hair likes it that way! :p
I stopped using elastic ponytail holders recently and have notived a lot LESS damage/breakage. I refuse to use the flat iron, and I only blow dry about twice a year, and never on the highest or hottest setting. I still color my hair and I plan on getting lowlights put in it in Jan or Feb 2011. ;) I guess you can call me a rule/suggestion breaker with the best of them!!!!

Lianna
December 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Oh, I'll take lots of buddies to jail with me then. :D

kattygf
December 25th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I always wear my hair down... Still don't understand how that is bad:confused:

EdG
December 25th, 2010, 02:05 PM
I always wear my hair down... Still don't understand how that is bad:confused:Really the only drawback to wearing hair down is that one needs to keep it out of danger and keep it from getting tangled. That's not hard to do.

Welcome to LHC! :)
Ed

Mirsha
December 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I am not careful with my hair at all. I do not and will not baby my hair, it's just not for me. :D

I used to reel in the sound of hairs snapping in my brush. It made me feel like I was really brushing it, LOL.

yellowchariot
December 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
YES! I blow-dry about every other day, now that the winter season is in full force here! :D

pepperminttea
December 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I use sulphates, every wash and now-rarely diluted, and occasionally I shampoo my length too. I also wear braids a bit too often, so my ends do get raggedy a bit too quickly.

DARKMARTIAN
December 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM
I brush my hair when its wet ....and I always sleep with it loose. :o

Vorvolaka
December 25th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Cones and sulphates are my crack! Well, the cones were until I discovered the joy of coconut oil shampoo. I never comb when wet but I do sleep with it down and wet. I blow fry and straighten on occasion. I refuse to give up my paddle brush (although it's a BB one, if that helps). I have and wear lots of metal barrettes. I box dye with semi-permanent colour.

At the end of the day, my philosophy is 'it's only hair.' I may be growing it but I want to enjoy it. If damage happens, so what?

prosperina
December 25th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I use cones and almost never clarify, but I don't even think that's against the "rules/recommendations" anymore. I often sleep with loose hair because sometimes I just can't get to sleep any other way.

MissCharizard
December 25th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I wash my hair everyday(scalp only) and I use a LOT of coney conditioner. My hair desperately needs the slip.

I also brush when wet.. if I brushed it dry I feel like it would do way more damage than when it was wet unsnarling the tangles!

Also can I ask for a suggestion? Instead of using those no ouch elastics, what should I be putting my hair up with?

prosperina
December 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Also can I ask for a suggestion? Instead of using those no ouch elastics, what should I be putting my hair up with?

I don't think the no ouch elastics are so bad, but the clear elastic bands--the ones that look like those jelly shoes they made in the 80s. THey look kinda like thishttp://www.amazon.com/Goody-Clear-Elastic-Bands-52/dp/B00122CP30 are also really nice.

That may have been what you were referring to, but I wasn't sure. Goody also calls their glued together bands without metal "ouchless" or "no ouch". I also bought some funny looking nylon, elastic things at Ulta. Can't find those online to show, but they are very nifty. But really I'm sure the no ouch are fine, but I like the gelly clear elastics for the ends of my braids. They are soft and stretchy and don't rub delicate ends.

MissCharizard
December 25th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Oh! I always steered clear of those small clear ones, they always reminded me of rubber bands ripping my hair out. I thought someone mentioned once they stopped using those no ouch elastics they saw less breakage, which I do even with them.

They are sometimes hard to get out but I really don't like scrunchies. I need something super gentle, I just wonder if they even make something more gentle.

Quixii
December 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I put my hair in ponytails (though with metal-free elastics). And I wear my hair in said ponytails 99% of the time. I brush my hair with a regular ol' brush.
That's probably it.

Lianna
December 25th, 2010, 03:59 PM

As a foreign, I can't really make product suggestions, but there are scrunchies that are very small, in neutral colors. Maybe you can learn to do buns that don't require a ponytail first. You can lots with bra strap length hair!

I know cones aren't evil, but there's the natural hair care rave to go agaisnt it. :D

yellowchariot
December 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM

^ Dude, gimmie high-5! lol :bigtongue:

DARKMARTIAN
December 25th, 2010, 06:31 PM
^ Dude, gimmie high-5! lol :bigtongue:

:hifive:

breaking rules happens to be my forte'....:D

joyellen
December 25th, 2010, 06:36 PM
I do a lot of things that don't do much for the health of my hair. I brush it while it's wet if I'm in a hurry, I dye my hair with demi-permanent dye, I sleep with it down and I use a flat iron sometimes. I also use coney shampoo and conditioner, but that doesn't have a negative effect on my hair. All in all, my hair is in pretty good condition though, so I don't worry about it too much.

yellowchariot
December 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM
:hifive:

breaking rules happens to be my forte'....:D

^ LOL, we are. . . The Other Guys:

http://topbillinmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/The-Other-Guys-08-4-e1291063623511.jpeg

Just about the only way for me to brush my hair is after I get out of the shower once it has been conditioned.

Sometimes I'll be lazy and just leave mine loose at night when I sleep. I do pay for it in the morning though. I hate combing through tangles.

MissManda
December 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I have never really thought of the haircare advice here on LHC as a set of "rules." I think of them as guidelines that can be adjusted for different heads of hair. :)

I don't always follow the guidelines, either, but my hair seems to be coping pretty well considering.

ladycaladium
December 25th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I try but I do things like end up doing a messy bun for days and days. And considering that my scalp is blue right now from falling off my "not going to dye my hair" wagon, I'd have to say that yes, I do break the rules/recommendations from time to time.

nowxisxforever
December 26th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I used to follow most of the rules, except the ones I found that simply did not work for me.

Over the years, I have gotten a lot more lax about what I will and will not do with my hair, and my regimen swings between hyper-protective and benign neglect at the drop of a hat.

Regardless, my hair has stayed just about the same through all, growing slowly but surely.

Relax! :)

fairystar32
December 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM
I wear my hair down all the time, I hate it up, even in bed.
I don't lie on satin pillows
I brush when wet
I blowdry and flat iron (infact since I stopped my hair has been really awful, so have bought a new hairdryer and flat iron this week)
I am rough with my hair and yank it out of the seatbelt, bag straps etc.. although trying to baby it a little more now its longer.
LOVE DH playing with it and the kids
always self combing it with my fingers
I dont do any updo's

mmm thats about it
Since stopping most of these over the last few years, my hair has become more broken and breakage issues, so I have returned to how I always was. My hair was butt length as a kid and in the best condition and I never did anything at all to it and wore it down always.

joiekimochi
December 26th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I sleep with my hair loose, wash everyday with a sulfate shampoo and sometimes wear it down.

Ryanne
December 26th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I only ever comb my hair when it's wet. Less painful way of untangling, and therefore without destroying, curls.

ericthegreat
December 26th, 2010, 03:58 AM
The only actual rules around here are KNIT and not promoting your own business or selling anything outside of LHC guidelines. All of which are really non-hair related.

Everything about hair here is really just some nice helpful advice and suggestions. But no one here actually forces you to do anything that you feel won't work for you or you feel uncomfortable with. You take whatever tips you feel will work for you best and then tweek them to suit your needs/wants, and if you haven't found out what works for you then you keep experimenting until you do find your own perfect routine.

Lianna
December 26th, 2010, 04:22 AM
The only actual rules around here are KNIT and not promoting your own business or selling anything outside of LHC guidelines. All of which are really non-hair related.

The only "enforced" rules. If there weren't any "rules", nobody would be looked down upon (how many times have I seen people bashing/explaining how awful is bleaching, flat irons, straightening chemicals, washing everyday, etc?) or feel bad about their choices, even though that's what works for them.

soapstone
December 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I use a blowdryer. There I said it.

Clarisse
December 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I understand ”LHC recommended rules” as rules I know would help the health of my hair but decide not to follow. I don’t wear my hair up enough (it breaks) and I don’t own a comb, so until I find a reasonably priced one, I will continue to damage my hair by using a plastic brush.

ravenreed
December 26th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah, well, some of us stand up for the underdogs who do the frowned upon... I am always bothered by the "forgive me I have sinned" posts. When it is all said and done, no one else cares about what we do with our hair and the only one who we answer to is ourselves. Which is pretty much why I posted what I did earlier in the thread.

The only "enforced" rules. If there weren't any "rules", nobody would be looked down upon (how many times have I seen people bashing/explaining how awful is bleaching, flat irons, straightening chemicals, washing everyday, etc?) or feel bad about their choices, even though that's what works for them.

FluffSpider
December 26th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Forgive me Father, for I have:
-blowdried every time*after 8 hours of air-drying my hair is still wet...sorry, hair shaft. But it's for the greater good*
-worn it down aprox. 3 days out of 7(I'm not growing my hair to forget of its existance for the whole day!)
-slept with hair unbraided/un-bunned, because the feeling of that is just WAY too grand:p
-used un-safe hair toys(but now I know better.)

naturegirl321
December 26th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I've found that the most beautiful hair I've seen was on a Japanese man in university. He had waist length hair, wore it down and just washed it with soap when it was dirty. that's it. and it was gorgeous!

naturegirl321
December 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM

What does "KNIT" stand for?

little_cherry
December 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I don't think they are rules, rather they are suggestions. Everyone's hair is different. When I clarify, I usually only use shampoo on my length. That is contrary to just about everything you read here, but shampoos make my scalp freak out and I usually only get build up on my length. You need to do what works for your hair.

In addition, there seem to be two main camps at LHC. There are those who want length as fast as possible and so are more conservative in their hair care to avoid damage. Then there are those who want to enjoy their hair, no matter what, so are willing to take more risks. I fall in the latter camp. I dye, I wear my hair down, I trim more than most. It doesn't bug me if my hair takes a little damage along the way. Neither is approach better than the other, you just need to know where you fall, and plan your hair care accordingly.
Well said! :)

christine1989
December 26th, 2010, 04:38 PM
After over a year of no trimming at all I have trimmed each month since October (somehow still gained a bit of length though :)). I also leave my (horribly faded) ends sticking out of my updos to blow around in the wind.

Charlotte:)
December 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
I shampoo my scalp AND length twice a week with a sulphate/cone shampoo. If I don't my scalp gets itchy and my hair starts falling out. Since I put about a couple drops of coconut oil in my thin hair every week, I have to wash it out with shampoo or my hair looks REALLY greasy. Honestly, some of those "rules" do my hair a lot more harm then good.

einna
December 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I`m still new, so I havent had the chance to try a lot yet. But I still:
- use cones and SLS (but just got some samples without).
- sleep with hair loose, without a satin pillow (will change).
- play with my hair a lot.
- wear my hair down most of the time, havent learned any updoes yet.

sarahramen
December 26th, 2010, 06:57 PM
My hair is down most of the day time if its not in a ponytail, and I sleep with it loose. I comb it wet although I try to be gentle. Also now that its the dead of winter I have been staring at my blow dryer with longing... but not yet. I will persevere!

lacefrost
December 26th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Forgive me LHC for I have sinned. . .

I used elastics but to my defense my hair is too thick (and too short) for hair sticks.
I flat iron sometimes.
I used to brush my hair wet (trying not to)
and sometimes I'm rough with detangling (I hear snapping hairs.)
And I don't moisturize everyday.

. . .

And I kind of want highlights badly. There! I said it!

owlathena
December 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I love my flannel pillow cases. I brush my hair when its wet. Every time.

Sunsailing
December 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I've always thought rules were made to be broken :gabigrin: I comb when wet. I wouldn't dream of letting my hair dry before I comb it. .

Carolyn, I've never heard that one before. I've always heard to never use a brush on wet hair and to only use a comb when wet.

Carolyn
December 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Carolyn, I've never heard that one before. I've always heard to never use a brush on wet hair and to only use a comb when wet.I keep reading that people here let their hair dry completely before combing. I'm always kind of aghast when I read that. My hair would be one big dreadlock if I did that. I stopped brushing when wet when I was a teenager, way before LHC.

pop
January 11th, 2011, 09:38 AM
what is ''the two week rule''???

brunette
January 11th, 2011, 09:47 AM
what is ''the two week rule''???
A lot of people live by the two week rule when they want to make a drastic change (chop shorter for example, or add a fringe/bangs or layers) - the two week rule is to think it over for at least two weeks so the decision is not spur of the moment and possibly regretted!

feb26
January 11th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I use hair barretts with metal in them, leave my hair down

pop
January 11th, 2011, 09:59 AM
A lot of people live by the two week rule when they want to make a drastic change (chop shorter for example, or add a fringe/bangs or layers) - the two week rule is to think it over for at least two weeks so the decision is not spur of the moment and possibly regretted!

ohhh...ok!! thanks!!;)

Loviatar
January 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I do whatever I like to my hair.

For the most part, I'm careful because I know I take my frustrations out on my hair and it's a measure of my mental health. I know that if I make a massive mess-up, I can ask for help from my LHC friends as to how to fix it - so long as I don't constantly start whining thread after thread about 'OMG I ruined my hair by dyeing/blowdrying/wet brushing/etc'.

I use ALES shampoo, comb wet, sometimes sleep with it loose, allow it to get ridiculously tangled in the bedroom (hm hm) :eyebrows: , stuff it all under a beanie hat, wash upside down, sleep on cotton pillows, shampoo the length when I feel like it, etc etc. But I also have damage limitation - I use henna, I self trim, I don't trim too much, I use honey in my conditioner, I use oils etc.

But my hair is here to be enjoyed, so I will do what I like to it when I feel like it. I don't follow any rules.

Lunakitty
January 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I have tried most of the recomendations, but I can't seem to give up my brush.

lapushka
January 11th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Well... if you treat your hair as gently as possible, or as gentle as you possibly can for your particular situation (some do need to blow dry for example), then I guess it's not breaking any rules? :hmm:

I see all those things (not blow drying, no heat tools, etc. ...) as great recommendations, ways of achieving hair that's in better shape, not rules that you *have* to follow no matter what, even if it's difficult for you. Blow drying is convenient and hard to just give up. Some, including me, just can't, and I think that's perfectly okay.

Messyhair
January 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Wow... let's see...

I comb my hair when it's wet now, but when it was grown out before I would always fingercomb it until it dried. It felt horrible and took a long time to dry that way, so I hope that combing it while it's wet won't do me too much harm.

I wear my hair down all the time because I can't do an updo to save my life. In the summer, I can sort of flop it around into a ball while it's still wet and use an octopus clip to hold it. Probably damaging...

I MUST use a conditioner with cones. My hair is horribly dry and tangled otherwise.

I still insist on rubbing my poor wet hair with a towel to dry it. This is more of an unconscious oops thing than a purposely performed nasty on my hair. I'm trying to think ahead to stop myself from automatically doing this.

I think that's it. But I probably do more horrible things just because I don't know better or I'm too lazy. :D

princessp
January 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I love reading all the recommendations, but I still comb my wet hair in the shower. My hair doesn't seem to mind, I still go with my instincts sometimes.

I'm fairly certain posts are not rules though just tried and true excellent suggestions. Not everything is going to work for everyone.

Aredhel77
January 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I wash my hair almost every day - I comb it while wet, usually a few times, I blow dry (gently :p) nearly every day, trim often and almost always wear my hair down :D

I probably over-treat it with oils and conditioners too, but so far my hair hasn't complained and is the softest it's ever been :cheese:

kteachone
January 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Oh, I'll take lots of buddies to jail with me then. :D

Hehe...take me with you!

I straighten my hair and use cones!

Sinthia
January 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I've stopped doing alot of things since coming here. But I just do not know if I can get past dying my hair, and too scared to try henna/indigo for the permanence of it. I also use lots of cones..and love em :D

anthonyswife
January 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I do! lol

Mainly I just wear my hair down far more than is recommended on LHC. I just don't see the point of having long hair if it's up all the time, plus my scalp is really tender so updos are often very painful for me. Also, I too still use sulfates but I'm trying cone free...honestly I see probably more sulfate and cone users than not here on LHC.

jojo
January 11th, 2011, 11:34 PM
oh you rebel you!

I dont really see LHC as making rules, I read for suggestions but if my hair looks good I use it! as I think lifes too short to read labels and I detest s&ding sends me cross eyed:silly:

MandyBeth
January 11th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I <3 my blow dryer. It is my best friend.

Lamb
January 12th, 2011, 01:31 AM
How can something be "recommended" and a "rule" at the same time? :confused:

(And where did you read that cones were not recommended, or that there was some sort of rule against them? :hmm: I've been a member here for 3+ years and I totally missed that one.)

Oz
January 12th, 2011, 01:48 AM
ive never read the back of a shampoo or co bottle.. other than to make sure it wasnt tested on little bunnies

Lianna
January 12th, 2011, 01:50 AM
How can something be "recommended" and a "rule" at the same time? :confused:

I'm sorry for the lack of thought when I formulated that title. Like others have pointed out, it was suposed to be "suggestions", which was what I meant...Maybe some kind of unwritten rule? I'm not sure how to put it. Like KNIT is the written rules...Pretty much people understood what I meant, thus the responses accordingly.

(And where did you read that cones were not recommended, or that there was some sort of rule against them? :hmm: I've been a member here for 3+ years and I totally missed that one.)

There's an undeniable hype that cones might not be the best thing to put on the hair, because isn't the most natural thing around. I don't have anything agaisnt them.

Igor
January 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I have to admit I’m pretty baffled by a lot of the attitude displayed in the replies to this thread.

There are no rules. There are no membership cards to long hair. If people had looked around a bit and read up on peoples routines, they would know that no two people have the same routines or methods.

The recommendations are based on what will give you the maximum growth and/or the minimum damage. You are free to pick and chose from what you will follow.

I would bet my Ficcare collection that no one follows all these recommendations.

No one would be upset if you do something that will “damage” your hair. No one will beat you over the head if you don’t follow the recommendations. No one will revoke your “membership”.

It seems this thread is full of those “Everyone knows this!” factoids that simply aren’t true, like that brushes are always bad, that cones are evil, that sleeping with your hair lose is bad, shampoo is evil, wearing hair down is bad etc.

“Not following recommendations” doesn’t make you cool. It doesn’t make you a rebel. There were never any “laws” or memberships to rebel against. There is only what makes you happy. There is no sin in that.

Why are people so happy to rebel against “rules” that were never there? No one forces you to follow them. No one really, truly cares what you do or don’t do to your hair.

Its actually pretty rude against those who shared their collected knowledge and experience to begin with. They only wanted the best for their hair growth and shared what they know.

People have spent time, energy and effort trying to help people get the best hair-health possible. There is no reason to act like people laid down a mean old law when they just tried to help and assumed people were on this forum (Or an even older one) for the same reason as them.

Lianna
January 12th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Why are people so happy to rebel against “rules” that were never there? No one forces you to follow them. No one really, truly cares what you do or don’t do to your hair.

I hope you don't mean me, because I'm not "happy" I'm not treating my hair the gentlest way possible! :) I made the thread because in truth I still feel kinda bad, never "cool".

Igor
January 12th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I hope you don't mean me, because I'm not "happy" I'm not treating my hair the gentlest way possible! :) I made the thread because in truth I still feel kinda bad, never "cool".

No, I didn’t mean you :flower:

Well, I guess what I mean is this: Personally I was never able to sleep on silk or satin. There is something about the texture that just creeps me out (Yes, its weird, I know)

But instead of “Hahaha, I’m rebelling against that silly old rule!”, I’m happy someone shared their knowledge on how I could grow my hair more beautiful. I’m happy I could read up on all this experience on how to make the most out of my hair, even though I’m not able to follow that one recommendation on minimising damage.

Lianna
January 12th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I'm trying to minimize potencial damage down to only washing everyday (it's somehow good for me, long story) and dyeing hair. I often think about stoping, but I'm so much prettier with dyed hair, it's only a shade, I tell myself. :p

I really appreciate all the knowlegde here (I like to learn), if not suitable for me, I can (and do) help others who benefit from the suggestions! :cheese:

RitaPG
January 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Me! *raises hand*

I comb my hair when it's wet (with conditioner, it's the ONLY way I can properly detangle)
I wash my scalp with sls shampoo, or as someone mentioned once, detergent :p and use cones sometimes.

Athena's Owl
January 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
There are rules?

I ... what? so confused. I'm trying to think of a rule on LHC that has to do with haircare...And I can't think of one.

There's the two week rule, but other than the name it's actually a recommendation. I follow it because I have never regretted a change to my hair as a result... really that's the closest thing I can think of that would be a rule.

lapushka
January 12th, 2011, 02:35 PM
There's these recommendations... well, rules to great hair care if you prefer, and then there's reality. Reality is what makes up this community. It's not like we punish or shun people who do things differently from what is suggested for achieving healthier hair. Everyone makes up their own mind and not everything works for everybody. Yes, we all know what we should do, but sometimes despite the best advice, we have to do the right thing for our hair so we continue to be happy with it.

jujube
January 12th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I flat iron sometimes, shame on me I know! And I wash daily, and clarify way too often.

moonlight
January 12th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I blow dry (with a diffuser) almost every day.
I only braid to bed when my hair is bugging me.
Im careless...I've zipped my hair in my coat zipper tons this winter.

The things I've done on purpose to encourage growth are change from chemicals to henna, and change to CO wash.

And, strangely, stay away from this place lol! I find that if I haunt these boards too much, my hair growth slows down. If I stay away, I forget about my hair and boom! Before I know it, I've grown 3 or 4 inches :)

But I sure miss you all.