PDA

View Full Version : Do these hot oil directions make sense to you?

shikara
December 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM
I am wanting to use Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Intense Moisturizing Treatment. You are supposed to use it prior to shampooing. It was my understanding that moisture and protein treatments should be used on clean hair (clarified if necessary) in order to penetrate fully and properly without buildup or residue interfering. Am I missing something? Would you wash and dry your hair, then apply hot oil treatment, then wash again for the best results (I apply oil to my hair daily)?

luxepiggy
December 25th, 2010, 12:40 AM
I used those a long time ago, and I just put them on my hair and left it in for the prescribed amount of time. Afterwards I shampooed & conditioned normally, IIRC.

Aliped
December 25th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I used those a long time ago, and I just put them on my hair and left it in for the prescribed amount of time. Afterwards I shampooed & conditioned normally, IIRC.

^^^^ this :)

Lianna
December 25th, 2010, 01:28 AM
As long you don't have a lot of buildup you should be fine. I do prefer my oilings on damp hair, though.

Melisande
December 25th, 2010, 05:32 AM
^^^^ this :)

And this, too.

Works very well! Oil on dry hair is what I like best.

Igor
December 25th, 2010, 06:02 AM
A lot of people here use oil or conditioner as a pre-wash treatment and it works great. It protects the more fragile ends from harsh shampoos, it conditions and ends will most likely be perfectly clean with shampoo rinsing down over them. Unless you go mud wrestling on a regular basis, your ends doesn’t need washing and scrubbing

shikara
December 25th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Since they want you to use it prior to shampooing, do you think the hot oil would penetrate the daily oilings that I put on my hair?

Lianna
December 25th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Since they want you to use it prior to shampooing, do you think the hot oil would penetrate the daily oilings that I put on my hair?

Only few oils truly penetrate the hair shaft. I believe you'll still see "results", a heavy oiling lasts a long time, those are not necessary to do that often. A light oiling after your regular cleaning method (shower) also does wonders, specially with fly-aways.

virgo75
December 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I like them and they work pretty well when used as directed.
If you're worried about washing the treatment down the drain you could always follow up with a diluted shampoo and full conditioner.

But you want to know what's really funny?

Here's the ingredients:

Water (Aqua) , Cocotrimonium Chloride , Acetamide MEA , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Hydroxyethylcellulose , PEI-1750 , Oleth-20 , Propylene Glycol , Methylparaben , Disodium EDTA , Polyquaternium-10 , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hydrolyzed Soy Protein , Vegetable Amino Acids , Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride , Phytantriol , Polysorbate 20 , Keratin Amino Acids , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Panthenol , Ascorbic Acid , Niacinamide , Biotin , Fragrance (Parfum) , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Yellow 6 (CI 15985)

I don't see "oil" anywhere. :lol:

shikara
December 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks for that ingredient list - I also notice here that many of the ingredients are proteins rather than 'moisturizers'. It's been many a year since I've used this and it make my hair oh so touchably satiny.

ktani
December 26th, 2010, 10:51 AM
If you want anything to truly acces the hair, it needs to be done on hair with no residues.

It also depends on what you are using.

You can use coconut oil on dry or damp hair with heat to have it penetrate hair deeply, otherwise it will only partially penetrate hair used without heat, in 24 hours. See the link at the end of the article on problems with coconut oil as an oiling oil, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=191.

Research done in 2003 and 2005 concluded that coconut oil outperformed all other oils tested against it for both pre-wash and post-wash applications, including olive oil.